ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lambdas removal

well in the process of getting my decat popped on and have come to removing the lambdas...however there on bloody tight!!!
any tips to loosen them up? got some WD40 trying to do some good at the mo and the only thing i can think of is to possibly heat them up a little however im worried about the wires catching alight.

anyone got any tips/ideas?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Heat the thread with a blow-torch, when things get hot they expand, always makes it easier, just dont burn yourself!! > Big Spanner>Hammer>Wack :p

did it in the end using the heat method....a lot cheaper then that set, especially just for one use.
i've got a couple of locking nuts as well....is it worth fitting these or will the plastic just perish due to the heat...im thinking it wouldn't be worth it due to the heat but just wanted another opinion?

cheers all

When I decated my 182 I welded a disc over the rear lambda sensor hole, and put the lambda sensor in a sleeve, this stopped my little orange light coming on and telling me my cat was fooked. you can get the sleeves from gmc motorsport.

Golf GTD Mk7
didn't think that happened when you had a decat fitted? thought putting the sensors into the decat pipe prevented it?

172 Ph2. Mmm...
mine where tight as f**k, i just took the cat off, put it in a vice, and a big spanner and some wd40 later, comes off with ease

didn't think that happened when you had a decat fitted? thought putting the sensors into the decat pipe prevented it?

No you get a cat light coming on, because the second lambda sensor measures your cats performance, if there is no cat there, then the sensor thinks its fucked, and puts a light on for you. If its in a sleeve, the sensor thinks you engine is putting out fresh air, no light on!

you can do, but you are risk from corrosion, and they heat up to some stupid temperature, so you may find they burn through your tie wrap, or string ;), and they are not too cheap. www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk iirc sell them for £15.

330Ci Clubsport
forgot about the heater lol. so once you put them into the sleeve what then? just tie that up out of the way?

yeah, i put a bit of loctite on the thread, then wound it down hand tight, I then ran the wire along the underside of the car, close to the handbrake cable, but not too close for obvious reasons, job done.

You will get the cat light on every so often, its like once every couple of months. Its because the ecu recognises it as a fault, but a low priority one so dismisses it, then looks at it again at a later date, puts the light on for a few days and the forgets about it again. If that makes sense.

lol, that up to you but its a pritty easy job, and I prefere to not have an orange light blaring at me in the dark :approve:

Golf GTD Mk7
No you get a cat light coming on, because the second lambda sensor measures your cats performance, if there is no cat there, then the sensor thinks its f**ked, and puts a light on for you. If its in a sleeve, the sensor thinks you engine is putting out fresh air, no light on!

Ah ok, didn't realise that. what did you use for a sleave? Also where did you tie the lambda to? somewhere about the heat shield or something?

BMW E30 325iiiiii
yeah, i put a bit of loctite on the thread, then wound it down hand tight, I then ran the wire along the underside of the car, close to the handbrake cable, but not too close for obvious reasons, job done.

You will get the cat light on every so often, its like once every couple of months. Its because the ecu recognises it as a fault, but a low priority one so dismisses it, then looks at it again at a later date, puts the light on for a few days and the forgets about it again. If that makes sense.

so your saying you put the lambda shield on the sensor, then put it back into the hole in the decat?

No, you weld up the hole in your decat (make yourself a little 1p coin size bit of steel), then fit the sleeve over the lambda sensor and zip tie up out of the way. Job done.

mine where tight as f**k, i just took the cat off, put it in a vice, and a big spanner and some wd40 later, comes off with ease

Just a note but I have seen crushed & split CATs where people have used this technique to remove the sensor in a monster of a vice.

A better technique is to source a piece of scaffolding pole and drill holes to attach the cat too it at a right angle.

You can then place it on the floor with a mate standing on the pole and get plenty of leverage on the sensor.

The heat method won't always work as obviously the cat is used too the hot and cold expansion (hence why its in there so tight), leverage and a good fitting spanner is always the best bet it seems.

Golf GTD Mk7
No, you weld up the hole in your decat (make yourself a little 1p coin size bit of steel), then fit the sleeve over the lambda sensor and zip tie up out of the way. Job done.

yeah but what did you use for the sleeve?

Track 172cup
ive got both lambda sensors in place (2nd one in my decat) and i've not had the light on yet in a couple of months of it being on

was expecting the light for the reasons said before but nothing

The light will come on eventually, I have a couple of mates with 1*2's and they all did the same, I'm the only one that put it in a sleeve and mine is fine. Infact mine came on on Sunday, drove it twice before it went out, I wont see that light for another 6 weeks of so.

Track 172cup
The light will come on eventually, I have a couple of mates with 1*2's and they all did the same, I'm the only one that put it in a sleeve and mine is fine. Infact mine came on on Sunday, drove it twice before it went out, I wont see that light for another 6 weeks of so.

so the light still came on even with a sleeve then ?

if you read the thread it tell you why. the ecu stores the fault and looks at it every so often, its every 6 weeks or so, but only for a day or so. it costs £15, its cheaper than having it plugged in and erased and a lot less annoying than having the light on all the time.