ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lack of power, checked almost everything

I drove with a volt meter connected to the solenoid plug, it goes to 13v when you rev it past 1500-2000 rpm, but only when you press the throttle. Even if you press it lightly just to maintain speed for example 3K rpm at second gear, it goes off. As soon as I start accelerating it gets power again.
I saw other cars have some kind of a filter to the vvt system, but I didn't find anything about renaults. What are the possible steps if I confirm the VVT isn't functioning ? Sorry to ask so many questions, as you saw I don't really have any professional mechanic to help.

Yes this I understand. But I have no other knowledge of the VVT system.
How do I check\fix an oil blockage to the dephaser ? Also any other ideas for VVT dysfunction causes would be very welcome.

Hi again,
I tried driving with the VVT solenoid connected and disconnected and there's a clear difference in power, so I guess the VVT is fine. I gave up at that point.
Today I drove a ph1 172, and there's a clear difference in power ! It's not the weight difference as the owner was in the car too, and I usually drive mine with no passengers. So I would really love to fix mine after seeing the potential of it.
Any new leads , wild theories etc are very welcome !

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I still think it's timing (which hasn't actually been checked) or this is Stromba f**king with you all.

I apologize if you got the impression I think you're wrong, I'm sure you can understand why I'm looking for other directions after checking timing twice and have no other local garage I trust to check it for me.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's almost just worth the drive over to the UK to get one of our specilists to sort it out for you.

Makes me LOL that the best people to sort out a little French car are English.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Makes me LOL that the best people to sort out a little French car are English.

There's a perfectly logical explanation for this... It is a Clio, not a tractor! You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to talk to people in France about these cars (the Dacia Dusters also seems a regular/popular topic also).

Slightly embraced to say,
I did a few 0-60 launches with my camera recording, and watched them slow motion to take the exact times. Had a few 8 seconds launches and a few 7's!!! And I'm always losing a full second on the gearshift, I avoid shifting very fast because my synchro's are worn.
Top speed was never properly tested IMO, never had a good chance. Also since the last test I changed the VVT solenoid connector since I had a VVT fault code (didn't check if it came back - 4 hours drive to the nearest "trustworthy" garage).
So many thanks to everyone who helped, especially Dan ! :smile::smile::smilingimp:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
So it's fixed?
You said the 172 was faster, was it just because it's gearbox is in better condition?

Placebo I guess . Sometimes my car feels slower sometimes faster, maybe something is not working consistently like the vvt system but I hope its just placebo.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I don't know where you are in the world, but weather effects engines noticeably.