ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lack of power, checked almost everything

Hi,
I believe my clio 172 lacks some power. 0-60 in 8 seconds, top speed is about 210km/h (131mph) - and I believe losing 10-15 km/h in top speed means a significant power loss. Overall it doesn't feel powerful, and I have to press the throttle to the point where the induction sound becomes loud, and shift at 3-3.5K rpm to drive with the rest of the traffic.
Decatted, Compression is 180+ at all 4 cylinders, less than 5% leakdown all across, checked cam timing, flushed the engine, replaced - spark plugs, HT leads , ignition coil , injectors , fuel filter , air filter , pre-cat lambda, TDC sensor, cleaned MAP, IAT, Throttle body .
Other weird problems my car has, might be caused by the same problem -
Intermittently very strong engine braking in first gear
Full throttle up to ~1100 revs leading to INSANE vibrations, changed all 4 mounts with no effect, loud vibration noise at this rpm even without touching the throttle.
exhaust sounds like it's misfiring every 2-3 seconds at idle, no change after all the parts I replaced.

I have no good\reliable mechanics in my country, so I want to know what tests should be performed and what other parts could be the cause. My only thoughts are to check air\fuel mixture and fuel pressure.
Thanks for any help ! :smile:

Last edited:
Can't edit - but something else worth noting, It used to have a loud sebring exhaust and it CONSTANTLY had a slight pop\bang sound off throttle. It was constant, hot or cold , no matter how long you've been off throttle ... More like a constant "squirrel" noise, not a loud backfire. A bit weird on a stock car, never saw something like this.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Why don't you put it on a dyno and go from there? Relatively inexpensive and at least you''ll know if there is an issue and what the power actually is.

As you mentioned heavy engine braking - are the brakes free, clean and not sticking?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It depends on your ability and if you have/are willing to buy the timing tools which will enable you to do the job.

I'd recommend you take the car to someone that actually knows what they're doing though as it'll give you piece of mind.

There are only crap dynos where I live, it will be a waste of time I believe.
Brakes are very slightly bind, the car does hold itself on slight inclines and is hard to push.. but nothing major, slows down normally in neutral.
Timing was checked by the only "trustworthy" garage around here, drove 4 hours to find out they left the engine mount completely loose, the screws were only tightened 1-2 turns by hands, they re-fitted the rubber seals with some black silicon (and charged me for new seals lol), they did the job in 1-2 hours but they said you have to do a complete timing job and charged me for the full price of a timing job ... so lost my trust a bit.

So any advice from you will be very welcome.

Last edited:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like the only trustworthy garage are a bunch of conmen, so in all likelihood your timings s**t

it's irrelevant.
Previous owner promised even way after the sale timing was done with the original Renault tools , he's friends with the mechanics where it was done, and despite the bad experience I had, I'm 99% they did check it, they're very popular and highly recommended when it comes to french sports cars.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Well if you won't consider the timing and refuse to take it to a rolling road I'm not sure what to say really???

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Do you have a cable throttle like the Ph1 or is it the throttle by wire system??

Someone mentioned the other day that even with the pedal on the floor their throttle body wasn't opening all the way - you could check that??

Again there's no reliable dyno here, and timing was checked.
I tried to videotape the throttle and confirmed it's opening fully when I'm pressing the pedal (fly by wire), it seems to open fully. Also I'm getting 66% throttle reading (OBD scanner) when fully pressed, so the sensor is good (100% should show as 66%).

Some weird I'm getting from the OBD , unsure if normal -

Notice the time scale it in minutes - about 1 minute from the left to right, those aren't high frequency pulses ...

Please do not derail my thread, I can answer you in PM if you can't control your curiosity. I really would like any help with this issue.
Also we talked about the timing only after the sale, I could be wrong but I tend to trust him, he isn't a guy who would be scared and lie about this. Also I got it checked...

Please do not derail my thread, I can answer you in PM if you can't control your curiosity. I really would like any help with this issue.
Also we talked about the timing only after the sale, I could be wrong but I tend to trust him, he isn't a guy who would be scared and lie about this. Also I got it checked...

Are you 100% sure of the integrity of whoever checked it though. I know you say you are but trust me there's some idiots out there who really have no clue.

Checked for brakes binding ?

PH2 172
Too late to derail it.It hit the buffers 6 posts back.
I only asked if you have access to decent fuel.
OK to trust your sellers word,but from your own experience,his gash mates probably lied to him.
Please answer the question,have you access to decent fuel?

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
This guy has admitted the vehicle has binding brakes which won't help either but timing is deffo the most likely candidate... As everyone kinda knows with these cars.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
When I bought my car I didn't realise the timing was out. I knew it ran like s**t, and was incredibley slow, but never put the two together.

Took it to Ant (Scrooge) who quite litterally took 1 look and said "Timing".

Fixed with new belts (correct tools etc) and I now have a quicker, quieter, more enjoyable car to drive. Get it checked man!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's worth mentioning that only genuine Renault locking tools are what should be used, you can get others from the like of Lazer which are cheaper but they're not very well made and can bend - which is kinda pointless to set the timing with.

Clio PH2 K4M
Hi,
I believe my clio 172 lacks some power. 0-60 in 8 seconds, top speed is about 210km/h (131mph) - and I believe losing 10-15 km/h in top speed means a significant power loss. Overall it doesn't feel powerful, and I have to press the throttle to the point where the induction sound becomes loud, and shift at 3-3.5K rpm to drive with the rest of the traffic.
Decatted, Compression is 180+ at all 4 cylinders, less than 5% leakdown all across, checked cam timing, flushed the engine, replaced - spark plugs, HT leads , ignition coil , injectors , fuel filter , air filter , pre-cat lambda, TDC sensor, cleaned MAP, IAT, Throttle body .
Other weird problems my car has, might be caused by the same problem -
Intermittently very strong engine braking in first gear
Full throttle up to ~1100 revs leading to INSANE vibrations, changed all 4 mounts with no effect, loud vibration noise at this rpm even without touching the throttle.
exhaust sounds like it's misfiring every 2-3 seconds at idle, no change after all the parts I replaced.

I have no good\reliable mechanics in my country, so I want to know what tests should be performed and what other parts could be the cause. My only thoughts are to check air\fuel mixture and fuel pressure.
Thanks for any help ! :smile:
try unplugging the map sensor and go for a drive and see if car runs better, i wouldnt suggest leaving if off perm though

Many thanks for the suggestions guys, any further suggestions are very welcome, will update when i finally fix this.
Can i buy the timing tool and plastic caps to check timing myself? Is it as simple as removing the caps and trying the tool, or what does it take?

PH2 172
Many thanks for the suggestions guys, any further suggestions are very welcome, will update when i finally fix this.
Can i buy the timing tool and plastic caps to check timing myself? Is it as simple as removing the caps and trying the tool, or what does it take?
Sent you a manual.

Thanks,
The manual mentions checking timing only during the replacement of the cambelt, so I'm not sure if I could simply remove the 2 caps and insert the tool, or there might be more into it. Can anyone confirm what's the right procedure?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks,
The manual mentions checking timing only during the replacement of the cambelt, so I'm not sure if I could simply remove the 2 caps and insert the tool, or there might be more into it. Can anyone confirm what's the right procedure?
You need the crank locking pin and the horseshoe to check the timing is correct. The manual you've been sent should cover everything else, but needless to say, if the locking pin goes in and the horseshoe won't, the timing is out. It pretty much is a case of removing the 2 caps as you've already said.

To be 100% certain the crank locking pin is in place (as there's a balance hole in the crank), the engine shouldn't turn in either direction. If the crank will still turn, your in the wrong hole. Difficult to describe it, but you'll just know. So will your missus. Lol

PH2 172
You need the crank locking pin and the horseshoe to check the timing is correct. The manual you've been sent should cover everything else, but needless to say, if the locking pin goes in and the horseshoe won't, the timing is out. It pretty much is a case of removing the 2 caps as you've already said.

To be 100% certain the crank locking pin is in place (as there's a balance hole in the crank), the engine shouldn't turn in either direction. If the crank will still turn, your in the wrong hole. Difficult to describe it, but you'll just know. So will your missus. Lol
I was going to say something,but it`s probably better if I just shut up!

There's also a little inspection window on the gearbox, there should be a line on the flywheel that lined up with the 0' mark on the gearbox.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I'd also say timing.

Scotland has two main dealers and one of them has said quite exclusively 4 out of 5 cars that come in have the timing retarded/advanced as a result of someone "knowing what they're doing".

PH2 172
I`ve got to wait till December to hear Dave Brock & Steve Hillage thrash out breaks/riffs between them at SBE.

Last edited:
If someone can record a second\third gear pull on a straight road from 1000 rpm to rev limiter , even audio only, it would be so much helpful for me, so I can compare. Would love to see the rpm dial but an audio would be very helpful too.