ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ktec Ultra Exhaust... Decat Or No Decat?

Black Gold 182
Hi all, decided im going to treat the clio to a new exhaust. Decided on the Ktec Ultra Supersport (without centre silencer) But i cant decide whether to get a decat or not?

The standard exhaust is WAY too quiet in my opinion, all i hear is induction noise. Will a decat'd supersport be too loud? i dont mind if its really loud with my foot to the floor because i dont drive like that too often, but i couldnt bare listening to it drone all the time at slow speeds/motorways speeds in 5th with only half throttle.

If i do get the decat it will be the 2.5 inch one to match the exhaust system.

Whats peoples opinions on these systems decatted? too loud and droney or not too bad at all?

I guess my final option would be too get the silenced 2.5 inch decat which supposedly offers the same performance increases but is no louder than a cat back system but after looking at videos on youtube i love the sound of them decatted. But videos arent the same as sitting inside the car so i'd be gratefull for peoples opinions! cheers!

I drive 50 miles a day with my decatted yozza with no centre silencer no worries. It's loud yes, but at 7am when I finish work it always puts a smile on my face. Unless I have a headache then it makes me want to cry. I say do it, you can always take it off if you don't like it.

Black Gold 182
I drive 50 miles a day with my decatted yozza with no centre silencer no worries. It's loud yes, but at 7am when I finish work it always puts a smile on my face. Unless I have a headache then it makes me want to cry. I say do it, you can always take it off if you don't like it.

I rekon im gunna go for it...whats yours like at lower revs and less throttle? does it drone?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I have the ultra super sport system decatted and its bloody loud and does drone at about 70mph but I still love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the k-tec ultra supersport, with the ultra sports cat.

The sound is great, bit tiresome on long journeys. Wouldn't change it though.!

Clio 182
If you do any amount of motorway miles I wouldn't bother with a decat. Everywhere else it's OK, but on motorways it gets tiring very quickly.

Black Gold 182
I have the ultra super sport system decatted and its bloody loud and does drone at about 70mph but I still love it.

This is the video i saw on youtube that made me want the exhaust and decat in the first place!! haha. i dont normally do any motorway miles at all so it should be ok, did you try the exhaust without the decat? if so what was it like in terms of sound? and do you feel much performance gains from the decat? cheers for all the feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182
This is the video i saw on youtube that made me want the exhaust and decat in the first place!! haha. i dont normally do any motorway miles at all so it should be ok, did you try the exhaust without the decat? if so what was it like in terms of sound? and do you feel much performance gains from the decat? cheers for all the feedback!

I can't comment 100% accurately, but my old car had a catted Scorpion SRN019 and my current car has a decatted K-Tec and the difference is night and day. The decatted car is massively louder, but I'm not sure it's a nicer sound. Very raspy.

The car with the decat has slightly crappier throttle response too, but that might not be the exhaust... could just be that it's a worse car than my old one.

LY FF182
I had a decatted super sport and it was awesome everywhere except motorways (did 80 miles of M1 everyday) then one of the rear supports snapped as they aren't very strong after a few years and had a massive hole in the silencer. Then it was just yobbo ish.

It does drone at low revs though. But the smile you get when booting it makes up for it ;)

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I had a 2.5 inch system on my Clio, with a de-cat and no centre silencer.
It was fookin loud! And like everyone else has said motorway journeys are bloody tiresome. The drone on the cabin is the worst part.
Also in my opinion it was far too raspy!
So I've had a centre silencer put in, and again in my opinion it's balanced out everything. Motorway speed is much more bearable, don't get me wrong you still get the drone and it's still loud but it's not got that continual metallic rasp. End of the day it's each to their own. Go all out, and then make it quieter if you want?

Black Gold 182
I can't comment 100% accurately, but my old car had a catted Scorpion SRN019 and my current car has a decatted K-Tec and the difference is night and day. The decatted car is massively louder, but I'm not sure it's a nicer sound. Very raspy.

The car with the decat has slightly crappier throttle response too, but that might not be the exhaust... could just be that it's a worse car than my old one.

I Really cant decide!! lol, I dont care how loud it is when my foots down cos thats what foot down's all about! but when im driving along i really cant be doing with the noise constantly in my face all the time. I dont suppose you could make a really quick video next time you go out in your car for me could you? just so i can get a little better idea of how loud were talking inside the cabin. I used to have a Saxo VTR with a supersprint centre pipe and scorpion back box...below 3k rpm it probably had about 50bhp if that so it droned and was pretty loud but above that it was raspy and quieter. i lived with that and it never bothered me. Im guessing the clio has alot better noise insulation than the saxo cos the saxo's built like tin cans wrapped in £10's worth of carpet.

One final question for you all...with the decat FITTED and at fairly slow speeds/ low rpm, could you have a conversation with somebody without having to shout over the noise of the car? if you can then the decat it is....if not then i think im stil going with the decat and taking it off and ebaying it if its too loud. Cheers all!!

clio 182 cup
my mate had one with a milltec exhaust system decatted. it was loud mate did my head in lol BUT wasnt too bad on around town.. then again i prefer induction noise had enough of loudness. my exhaust has started blowing to day its split from the back near the 12 boxes [182] so now ill need to have a new 2nd part of the exhaust but i want it standard or as near

Clio 1.5dci
When I bought my Clio 182 some time ago it was fitted with a decat, I replaced it for a milltek sports cat when it failed it's MOT on emissions. Was a pig to change over, wouldn't want to be one of those who changed it just for the MOT.

Listerine & Poledo
Wow. You guys are all insane. The vid sounds f**king awful and so do all of em with exhausts!

horses for courses.

If you want to be heard, from 3 miles away, to be ragging the turds out of your Clio, fair enough.
Some people will give you nuff respect, the civilised will just think you've got a broken car though.

Just kick the back box off your car now, and see how much you like that. The effect is more or less the same

The only reason I think I'd decat a car is if I were installing a pops and bangs mod on it. Otherwise just lose your silencer tbh.
If you don't do many miles and truly do not mind the noise then go for it. I must admit I quite like the decatted sound, but I live in a housing estate full of yuppies and young kids so when I asked Charlie down at pro speed build me a new exhaust a few days ago I left the cat in but asked him to cut into the cat a bit too remove some of the restrictions.
I can still make stupid sounds but in a refined way :) haven't looked back.

renault clio 182
Hi all I got a ktec supersport decat, and it's loud no doubt about that! I'm looking to sell my 182 just wondered how much I should be looking for the exhaust system on it's own? A mate has offered to buy it for 220 and swap with his standard one with a cat is this a good deal?
sorry if this is in the wrong place didn't know where else to ask haha