ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ktec sports cat and stealth too droney/intrusive... options?!

172 cup
I currently have a Ktec sports cat and silenced SS stealth system, but I think I’m getting old before my time and I’m getting annoyed at how droney and intrusive it is at 60+mph. I do like the sound of it when pushing on, but it’s getting on my wick when cruising and even slightly embarrassing when passengers are in the car.

So, my question is... should I:
a) Just put the standard cat back on and hope it lasts (I’ve still got it)?
OR
b) Invest in a BTB or Yozza stealth (presumably the quietest options)?

I know both are deemed far superior in build quality, but will either be noticeably quieter when cruising at these speeds, and/or worth the outlay?

Thanks in advance

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
The Yozza will be, unsure about the BTB as I also thought this was a standard db system but it appears not!

E90 320d M Sport
I've got a ktec stealth stainless on mine and it has been boomy since day one, over a year ago now, especially at 60mph.

I'm thinking of putting an NWP Silenced decat on it now as I want some more pops and bangs. I hated it at first but it has grown on me now.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
If the NWP 'silenced' decat is anything like K-tec's it won't really be any quieter than a full blow de-cat, ive had both and they both increase the noise alot. Also don't expect alot of pops and bangs, more crackles when its cold and pumping more fuel into the engine.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Did you notice a difference in performance?

I'm just about to order one!

Sounds better imo, think I made around 7 lb/ft torque more on the rollers and it seems to rev more freely, don't expect miracles lol, it will be loud though depending if you have the supersport system or not.

Heres mine filmed with a bad camera with a straight through de-cat and supersports system, its very loud at A road speeds and even worse when my car is fully stripped :p

th_Ktec-Supersports-Stealth.gif

172 cup
I also thought this was a standard db system but it appears not!
Interesting, where did you hear that? As I was under the impression from things I've read that it was a standard db system too.

I've got a ktec stealth stainless on mine and it has been boomy since day one, over a year ago now, especially at 60mph. I hated it at first but it has grown on me now.
I've had mine on for over a year, and I do like it when on full chat... but with my new job I'll be doing more motorway/carriageway miles, and plus I want to make a better impression when turning up at clients' premises.

put your cat back on should last for a fair while and tbh you have it there....try it then see what its like
It would be the easiest option, but if the other systems are noticeably quieter when cruising it'll be the best of both worlds (quiet when cruising but nice when you're having a 'play'). Plus it'd mean changing it twice, although this shouldn't really be a factor!

Sprint 172
The BTB Stealth is in a different league to the KTEC. There is no drone with a BTB. However, the BTB is a true performance system which features a full 2.5" bore throughout and proper performance silencers. As such the exhaust note will be deeper than standard, never intrusive or 'boy racer', just a slightly deeper noise when on throttle. The Yozza has more silencing and bore reductions to enable near OE noise. These two are the best systems for a 172, period.

172 cup
Thanks for the info... I take it the performance of the 2 is negligible, but you reckon the Yozza would be noticeably quieter?

I do quite like the idea of keeping the 2.5" bore throughout though, as I'll be very tempted by the RS2 if I still have my car in 2 years... but anyway, I think I read that you have a BTB (?!) in which case is it still non intrusive at motorway speeds with passengers?

Cheers

Sprint 172
Yozza would be quieter. BTB will produce greater power/torque. I don't think I would go down the RS2 route with anything but a true performance exhaust. Having said that, the Yozza back box is interchangeable and can be swapped for a (louder) race version when the time comes. You'll need to be doing 100mph on a private road for the BTB to every approach anything intrusive. It's virtually OE noise on light throttle, with a deeper rumble on full throttle (nice to be reminded where you're £400 has gone!).

172 cup
I definitely want to be reminded, but only when I feel the need...! What cat are you running with it (oe, sports, decat)?

172 cup
That's good to know... even with a sports cat it's not going to be intrusive. Think I'm going to have to hear both first hand in order to decide! Thanks very much for your info, certainly swayed me towards the BTB!

182 cup
Will be getting a BTB in the next few days myself.

I have been in Pauls 172 (BTB equipped) around Angelsey and its spot on!

Do we as CS members get a discount?

Stripped yozza'd cup
Dw mate, you're not getting old, I find mine annoying too and I'm 21 :) mine still has a standard cat on and it's still irritating.

I'm going to invest in a yozza myself, as soon as the wallet permits.

172 cup
Mike1pow- could you please report back on the noise whilst cruising at 60+ once it's fitted? Will you be running a standard cat, sports, or decat?

172 cup
Mike1pow- Excellent, thank you! I'll be running a sports cat with it, so should be similar in sound!

Stu172:Cup- I will be if the BTB is noticeably quieter; but obviously won't be for sale until I've confirmed it 100%!

Gaz-kev- Thanks for the links, but I've got a standard exhaust from when I replaced the Longlife which was on it when I bought it!