ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking sound from steering wheel

Dynamique+ 1.4
getting a knocking noise and feel though the wheel. does it whenever i move off from stopped say im parked up and i turn either way to maneuver out.

Happens when turning slowly round corners aswell obviously at higher speeds it doesnt do it as im not turning the wheel as much.

Anyone got any idea whats causing it?

Cheers

could be a number of things - steering rack loose, rack mounting bushes worn, bottom arm balljoints; quite a few more possibilities

does it do it whilst the car is stationary and you move from lock to lock? if so, you could have someone do that whilst you *carefully* (don't want to crush your hands) have a feel for where it's coming from. easiest to do this on a ramp or from within an inspection pit

Clio 182, Mercedes S320CD
When i have ever heard a nock. It has always turned out to be a drive shaft or engine mount. To check driveshaft look behind the wheel on the rubber and see if you can see any leaking grease or a split in the rubber even. Hope this helps.