ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking on left turn

My Phase 2 172 has a knocking noise when turning left past 45 degree angle.

Since getting the car back on the road in January, as part of replacing worn parts I have changed the following with genuine Renault parts:

Cup shocks all round
Top mounts
Cooksport springs all round
Front wishbones
Nearside driveshaft

The noise is definitely coming from the front nearside corner and I can feel it coming back through the steering column. The noise is almost like a worn CV joint but this has obviously been replaced as part of the new driveshaft which was fitted.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be as I am running out of ideas?

02 Iceberg 172
Cooksport springs run lower than Sportlines right? Are you running a bit of neg camber?

Might be that with the lowered springs and a bit of neg camber the driveshaft has run out of room to operate freely in - basically 'binding' between the hub and the gearbox. Try loosening off the upper engine/gearbox mounts and moving the engine over towards the passenger side - this will give the driveshaft a bit more room to work in and might cure the knocking.

Good suggestion.

I shall all give that a try. I had all the tracking etc done recently too as I thought that may cure it.

Is is it the mount on the top left side as I look at the engine from the front of the car?

02 Iceberg 172
Sorry mate been flat out at work. The mount you are talking about on the top left side is the upper engine mount, there is also a mount underneath the battery - that is the upper gearbox mount. Loosen off the 4 bolts that fix the upper engine mount to the chassis, and the 2 bolts either side of the rubber of the upper gearbox mount and then push the engine over towards the passenger side - you might find it easier to use something as a lever to help shift the engine over. Once you have shifted the engine over tighten up the bolts. Hopefully if that was the cause then moving the engine over will have cured the knock :)

Sorry mate been flat out at work. The mount you are talking about on the top left side is the upper engine mount, there is also a mount underneath the battery - that is the upper gearbox mount. Loosen off the 4 bolts that fix the upper engine mount to the chassis, and the 2 bolts either side of the rubber of the upper gearbox mount and then push the engine over towards the passenger side - you might find it easier to use something as a lever to help shift the engine over. Once you have shifted the engine over tighten up the bolts. Hopefully if that was the cause then moving the engine over will have cured the knock :)

Thanks. Going to give this a try once I get time later in the week.

I'll update with how I get on.