ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking Noise Rear Right Wheel

White 172 ITB's
Hi,

I've just started to get a knocking noise from the rear right wheel, can only really hear it at low speed but it's in time with the wheel moving and gets louder if I brake (If the bearing has gone when I brake it could move the disc?). I don't seem to get a whirring noise, although it’s hard to tell as my exhaust is quite loud.

I've recently changed the wheels and replaced the discs, Pads and bearings.

I jacked the car up last night and checked everything, there is no play in the wheel but I noticed a lot of grease around the stub nut. Could it be bearing?

If it is the bearing do they have to be press fitted as mine is secured with a cir clip.

Cheers

Megane 225
i had something like this happen earlier in the year and it turned out to be an extremely bent disc! dunno how that happened but when driving it sounded like a grinding/banging sound. wheel bearings will need to be pressed in/out local garage should do it for you quite cheap

White 172 ITB's
i had something like this happen earlier in the year and it turned out to be an extremely bent disc! dunno how that happened but when driving it sounded like a grinding/banging sound. wheel bearings will need to be pressed in/out local garage should do it for you quite cheap

cheers.

Did you get the noise at high speed or just low?

White 172 ITB's

Also if the disc was badly bent the wheel woundn't move freely? the wheels moves fine.

Megane 225
the noise got worse the faster i went. and the part of the disc that was bent was the part that makes contact with the pads, disc was bent towards the wheel by about 5mm so the wheel could turn it just knocked like fcuk

Megane 225
shot in the dark here but have you checked your stub axle and made sure that all the bolts are tight mate? possibility it could be that

White 172 ITB's
shot in the dark here but have you checked your stub axle and made sure that all the bolts are tight mate? possibility it could be that

I'll double check that when i get a min, i did notice today that the side thats making the noise, the bearing has alot of grease around the nut where as the other side has none.

Cheers

Megane 225
I'll double check that when i get a min, i did notice today that the side thats making the noise, the bearing has alot of grease around the nut where as the other side has none.

Cheers

could well be a duff bearing then mate. I hope you manage to solve the problem and its nothing major.

White 172 ITB's
could well be a duff bearing then mate. I hope you manage to solve the problem and its nothing major.

I swapped the rear discs over at the weekend to confirm where the noise was coming from, since i did that i don't get any noise.

I did however have to buy a new torque rench as my previous one broke so maybe i had over torqued them without knowing.

That aside, it still doesn't explain why there was a load of grease around the stub nut so i'll change it anyway.

Cheers

White 172 ITB's
Noise is back again. The disc and bearing that i thought was making the noise was swapped to the other side and doesn't make any noise.

The noise gets louder when i brake?

Cheers

White 172 ITB's
Double checked all the bolts etc at the weekend and check for any movment in the disc but nothing.

I also changed the shocks over and the noise has stopped again, really strange.
:(