ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking from rear - new coilovers

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
I've seen various threads about the MK2's, but my MK3 now with AP coilovers, is knocking at low speeds.

Noise is coming from the rear. I noticed the springs for the rears are very short. The adjuster is set at halfway at present, so my ride height isn't drastically low.

8665958444_f89fbb1e4b.jpg

Untitled by johnpape83, on Flickr

Does it just need dropping, so there's more load over the back of the car at low speeds?

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Well, went back out and double checked everything was tight. Seems to be. Noise doesn't seem as loud today though after a quick, short run.

Think I might have to take the rear shockers off and re-fit them.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Well, didn't seem half as bad this morning on the way to work.

Hard to describe the sound. Sort of a muffled noise. Not really a knock?

​Perhaps coilovers and springs settling in?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Did you source the knocking mate?

Fitted my rear FK Konigsports yesterday and have a knocking - seems to come from the rear n/s

"Navy" N17 TWO
Mine aren't brand new (bought on here) changed from K-Tec coilovers

On further inspection;
The left side sat lower, also when in situe over a pit - the springs seem to be very compressed more-so on the n/s than the o/s,

On the n/s spring - only the bottom 2 coils weren't touching.
The adjusters are equal - wound to about halfway

Drives fine until you come to a bumpy road
Only have the rear FKs on for now until I sort this out - feels amazing already so I hope there's nothing wrong with them!

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
jp, you can adjust the boot catch/lock to stop the knock.

Yeah I know dude. It's not that though.

Something in the lid itself is causing it. if i strip the boot lid bare, it doesn't do it.
On the Mk3, there's a bit of plastic each side, which go up each side of the windscreen (inside). These seem to have a bit of movement and I'm thinking it's those.
For now though, I just turn the stereo up. ;)

Superleggera'd MK3
Bootlids on the mk3 are rubbish....always knocking. Mine always does it, nearly over every bump. Suppose its better than it being your coilovers though mate

"Navy" N17 TWO
FK suggest a new damper :S
Surely the springs aren't normal to compress almost all the way down when the car is in situe?