ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking/Creaking Noise From Suspension?

53' 172 Cup
this seems to be a real arse ache for a lot of ppl. i also have the click/clunk/clonk.....noise when turning the wheel slow speeds, and a creaking when going over bumpy roads slow etc. I did the top strup washer thing which made no difference wse. i am going to grease up all the bushings tomoro and see what happens. if not i am cluless - culd it be the actual rack itself???

Not a poxy Renault
my creaking seems worse after 20-30 mins of driving, I'll have a play with my arb bushes tomorrow.

Clio Sport 172
It's not normally a good idea to use grease or mineral oil on rubber or plastic as it may cause them to swell or perish. I maybe wrong, this might be a special rubber, but I would use silicon oil. Get an aerosol and spray it on the lower arm bushes and anti-roll bar bushes. I did mine yesterday so I don't know if it's worked yet, but unless the bushes are worn out or perished, changing them isn't going to help much. Mine has creaked since new, especially when going over lumps slowly at full lock.

182 trackday racer
My new bushings are covered with the copperpaste you get with the Powerflex bushes. Still makes the sound. Greasing simply is not a solution. I still think it has something to do with the topmounts. In some way it seems to make the springs twist while steering, and that is the source of the sound.

I had a bit of creeking/clunking and It was just the spring ..it had popped out of its rubber seating.
If it is a case of the top strut mounts..you can now get powerflex from Europarts:)..
but I can see these going in cars that are so young....mine were fine and my car is a 53 plate.

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
fitted new bottom arms and ball joints today and anti roll bar bush,s car seemed ok for 5 mins!!!! back to same old now,, if u jack it up then put it back down the noise go,s for a while till it all settles

Not a poxy Renault
It's not normally a good idea to use grease or mineral oil on rubber or plastic as it may cause them to swell or perish. I maybe wrong, this might be a special rubber, but I would use silicon oil. Get an aerosol and spray it on the lower arm bushes and anti-roll bar bushes. I did mine yesterday so I don't know if it's worked yet, but unless the bushes are worn out or perished, changing them isn't going to help much. Mine has creaked since new, especially when going over lumps slowly at full lock.

Bugger, I took my ARB bushes off and smeared them with shed loads of grease the other night. On the plus side the car should be faster - I 'obtained' the grease when working in an F1 engine build shop! It should be used on 800Hp beauties!

RSTuner'd 182FF
fitted new bottom arms and ball joints today and anti roll bar bush,s car seemed ok for 5 mins!!!! back to same old now,, if u jack it up then put it back down the noise go,s for a while till it all settles

This is exactly the same as me, after i had the car jacked up everything seemed to be fine but then the noise came back. I've had new anti-roll bar bushes fitted and it has had made no difference at all. Im even thinking of putting my standard springs back on because everything was fine before i fitted my Sportlines.

Andy

53' 172 Cup
are the guys with coilys havin ghtis problem as well or is it just lowered springs on the oe shocks?? i also only noticed it after fitting my eibachs

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
no ive got the h&r coilovers still the same,, my mate got the same prob and his is standard,,, is every1 with this prob got a cup or cup pack suspention

500 Twinair
mine is the cup pack and has the same problem, feels like the car is going to fall apart:S

The exhaust is also rattling around, have bought some new mounts

Clio MK 4
mine used to creak, found my cv clip thing wasnt on properly. Put that back on but then it started doing it again really badly and had to replace the drive shaft. No problems anymore except the very slightest creak at times which is annoying.

I think itsa renault thing

Not a poxy Renault
First proper run today after greasing the outer ARB bushes and I can report that there was NO creaking!!! All I could hear was the top mounts knocking around at car park speeds whereas previously it was creaking like mad. I'm sure it will come back at some point but at least I know what it is and how to treat it.