ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking coming from the back?

2002 clio 172
Clio 172 2002. Seems to have developed some God awful knocking that sounds like it's coming from the back. When I roll away from my house down hill I can notice it quite badly and under braking at low speeds. Doesn't seem to happen, or I can't hear it when I get above around 20mph. The noise is quite rhythmic too kind of in time with the wheels turning, it doesn't just happen randomly. Has something come loose or not been done right when I last had my read brakes done maybe or could it be something else?

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Clio 172 2002. Seems to have developed some God awful knocking that sounds like it's coming from the back. When I roll away from my house down hill I can notice it quite badly and under braking at low speeds. Doesn't seem to happen, or I can't hear it when I get above around 20mph. The noise is quite rhythmic too kind of in time with the wheels turning, it doesn't just happen randomly. Has something come loose or not been done right when I last had my read brakes done maybe or could it be something else?
Took mine to the garage with the same problem, apparently I need to replace my rear discs and they are badley worn.
(Mechanic is a family friend not some kwick fit kid)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Shock absorbers probably leaking oil and needing replaced.

I'm unsure why anything braking related would cause knocking.

PH2 172
Other things to check for are wheel bolts done up correctly,play in wheel bearings,damaged/missing spiggot ring if not running OE wheels,loose heat shield above rear silencer,rear silencer hanger collapsed,play in the rear arm bushes,badly aligned exhaust system,worn rear shocks/bushes & worn/corroded rear discs.
Good luck.

2002 clio 172
Thankfully for replies. I only had rear brakes done at the end of last year so surely can't be worn discs? Also the bearings come pressed into the discs so guessing it can't be them? Will get everything else checked that's been mentioned though. Thanks a lot.