ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking/banging when accelerating

DanSej6

ClioSport Club Member
Morning folks, noticed a fair bit of knocking/banging occurring when I accelerate relatively hard in 1st and 2nd gears. Seems fine in the rest of them (unless I get a bit of wheel spin). Would I be right in assuming this is the infamous knackered engine/gearbox mountings?

If so, where is the best place to get suitable replacements from? Seen one mount on ECP for a fiver but guessing that'll not last long.

Morning folks, noticed a fair bit of knocking/banging occurring when I accelerate relatively hard in 1st and 2nd gears. Seems fine in the rest of them (unless I get a bit of wheel spin). Would I be right in assuming this is the infamous knackered engine/gearbox mountings?

If so, where is the best place to get suitable replacements from? Seen one mount on ECP for a fiver but guessing that'll not last long.

Powerflex the dogbone mount.

as above. Mine did this, its the manifold hitting the bulkhead behind the engine. Polybushed the dog bone and stopped straight away. Sharpens your gear shifts too, easily the best value for money upgrade you can do on these cars.

DanSej6

ClioSport Club Member
Shall get one ordered on payday then and hope it cures it. Gear change is pretty poor but that might be because I've been spoilt by Honda gearboxes and a Ford Puma (which has a blooming lovely feel)

172 Cup
100% engine mounts. I ended up having to replace the upper engine and upper gearbox mounts as well as treating the dogbone mount to the some Powerflex bushes.

Clio 172 2002
Some people here claim the dogbone is supposed to be soft. Powerflexing it will cause the other mounts to fail early. adviced to get new OEM one.
wonder how many people run uprated dogbone mount for 2 years approx with no other mounts failing ?

DanSej6

ClioSport Club Member
I should imagine the other mounts are the originals and we'll worn by now too to be honest. Gear change does feel like stirring a bowl of porridge.

DanSej6

ClioSport Club Member
Just to update this, new poly bush has been fitted to the dogbone mount. Has made a bit of a difference but the noise is definitely still there.
I suspect it's a combination of things but will look into replacing the other mounts and I'm sure I've seen on here sometimes the engine needs pulling right forward to eliminate the noise in some instances?

Clio 172 2002
have you tried upgrading to the powerflex upper right side engine mount insert as well ? that yellow one that works with the OEM mount ? from design wise i think this mount is the prime contributor to engine movement, more so than the dogbone mount

I suddenly got the same problem . All mount are new including a powerflex dogbone, tried loosening all mount and pull the engine forward with a jack before tightening, no difference. Hard acceleration on low gears, and fast gear changes do this, sounds the same as the sound I used to have with a weak dogbone. Not sure what it could be.
Did you make sure all mounts are tight ? Try my suggestion with pulling the engine forward as well. Also make sure the powerflex is installed with the thick side up.

Turned out to be a faulty top gearbox mount.
It's only 2-3 months old, from k-tec. I read their oem replacement mounts are low quality so I guess it's true.

Attachments

• IMG_20151229_122201.jpg
    IMG_20151229_122201.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84

DanSej6

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted the Renparts upper gearbox mount yesterday. Had some fun and games with the large bolt being seized into the bush, but got it done. Pulled the engine forward a bit on reassembly and it seems to have cured it. Hopefully the supplied Ocap bush will last a fair while. Still not happy with the gearshift, but I suspect that's me being picky!