ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knock after new rear shocks...

Digsey

ClioSport Club Member
  182FF
Hey there, some help if you please...

The car is an 03 1.2 16v, Ive just replaced the rear shocks are the nearside one was leaking, but i am now getting a knocking noise from that corner.
Ive removed it and installed it twice to check i hadnt done it wrong, ive even tried installing it with the old top bushes to see if that helped... nothing changed it still knocks..

Everything is tightened to the correct torque as per the haynes manual... am i missing something obvious or could the new shock just be a bad one? it reacted the same as the other side before i put them on, wasnt soft or anything as far as i could tell.

Any help appreciated

Digsey

ClioSport Club Member
  182FF
Anyone any ideas? have treble checked them today and everything is still tight but the knocking is getting worse :(

Digsey

ClioSport Club Member
  182FF
during heavy bumps, usually at speeds under 40mph, anything over that doesnt seem to make it knock..
Its definitely that corner of the car as when going down a curb at an angle so all four wheels move separately its only when that corner goes down the curb that it knocks..

got the day off tomorrow so gonna see if i can solve it, just no idea where to look though now haha

thanks for replying :)

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Well best way to check if its the damper is to swap them side to side and see if the noise swaps sides too.... could be a rear axle mount bush or wheel bearing if not

Digsey

ClioSport Club Member
  182FF
Well played around with this yesterday, never thought of swapping them side to side tbh, but i did put the old good one (only one side was leaking, i replaced the pair) on instead and the knocking stopped so its still look like its that shock, both wheel bearings are new on the back, not sure on the bush conditions, could these be checked without removal?