ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kncoking noise as it turns over....

Knocking noise as engine turns over....

I have a 1.4 16v Dynamique and have just fitted a 172 Dogbone mount and Gearbox mount. I also fitted the 3 exhuast mounts from the backbox forwards (but I don't think it could be those)

As I go to turn my car on just as it starts it makes quite a deep thud. Sounds like something is banging against the engine maybe...

I honestly can't figure it out A. because it's now dark! B. Cos ive fitted quite a few mounts at once lol

It more sounds like it could be the gearbox mount as it was quite difficult to get off... but with having a 172 Dogbone mount now fitted I don't know whether it is that :dapprove:

Any ideas what it could be?

Last edited:
everything looks fine underneath, dogbone looks like it's in the right place. Could I have put the dogbone upside down maybe?

When I move the engine by hand can't hear anything, I was pulling and pushing it quite hard aswell by grabbing the airbox at the back.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the dogbone mount should go on this way with bigger bush facing up as in the picture
4217b9e68a.jpg

Just checked, It's the RIGHT way up to the picture so can't be that...

Could it be that i've put a new gearbox mount in and not changed the engine mounts so it's now putting strain on the gearbox mount as the engine mounts will be worn in?

My car has only done 26k btw but it's an 03 plate so most of them had worn away strangely :(

M

mini-valver

Adam, what have I told you about messing?

Is your cat hitting the subframe when the engine wobbles when you turn it over? In theory, when you stamp on the gas you sould get the same knock....

LY 182
not always ive had them do it only on start up in the past.
undo the drivers mount yank the engine forward and do it up again

Adam, what have I told you about messing?

Is your cat hitting the subframe when the engine wobbles when you turn it over? In theory, when you stamp on the gas you sould get the same knock....

Will go try it once it's warmed up...

not always ive had them do it only on start up in the past.
undo the drivers mount yank the engine forward and do it up again

drivers mount? is that my engine mount you mean? the one on the drivers side

M

mini-valver

The one on the left as you look at the engine, undo the 4 bolts around it, wedge a bar in and lever the engine towards you, tighten the 4 bolts.

Hasn't fixed it mate :(

Tried prising it forward and the whole mount moved a good cm and looked like it sat alot nicer but it hasn't stopped the clunk.

Could it be that i've got a 172 dogbone on instead of the 1.4 16v one...

BMW M135i
Doubt it as the 1.6s came with them from the factory (well mine and others did/have) and there the same lump and box dimension wise.

It definatly sounds like it's coming from the front of my car as opposed to underneath me or at the rear (exhuast mounts) Only plan is to put my old dogbone mount on tomorrow and see if it is actually that then go from there...