ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knackered inlet manifold threads

RB Clio 182
Hi, I think someone along the way has used different bolts in a couple of holes when bolting my inlet manifold down and over time a couple of the threads on the lower inlet/cam cover are fucked and the bolts wont tighten properly.

Theres one of the two bolts at the back near the coil pack, and a couple of the 5 at the front.

Is there an easy solution to this, or would I be better off buying the parts that the top inlet manifold bolts to? If so, which parts do I need?

Thanks for any info.

Teg
You'll probably find that the problem isn't down to using incorrect bolt types but the threads have been stripped from over tightening/torquing... due to them being a fine thread there easily damaged.

Off top of my head I can't remember what size bolts/thread pitch they are but I'd run a tap through them, if no joy I'd drill them out and fit a keensert/helicoil as opposed to buying a new cam cover and lower inlet as that would be a massive waste of money.

PH2 172
The cylinder head/cam cover is a line bored matched assembly.
As such,you cannot buy a cam cover as a seperate part or go swapping them around willy nilly.
Timeserts are the solution.

RB Clio 182
You'll probably find that the problem isn't down to using incorrect bolt types but the threads have been stripped from over tightening/torquing... due to them being a fine thread there easily damaged.

Off top of my head I can't remember what size bolts/thread pitch they are but I'd run a tap through them, if no joy I'd drill them out and fit a keensert/helicoil as opposed to buying a new cam cover and lower inlet as that would be a massive waste of money.

Yes I was thinking of helicoil'ing them but I wanted to see if there were any other options.

I'll try a tap first, any ideas where to buy a helicoil kit from? Ebay? Or do screwfix etc do them where I can pick a set up.

Cheers mate.

Teg
Helicoils are excrement.Get timeserts from Wurth.
Nothing wrong with Helicoils if used correctly.. I'm an engineer in the Rail industry and there more than acceptable and are used frequently. Helicoils, keenserts and time serts all achieve the same goal... Upto you how you repair it and what you use but as Steve.M says TimeSerts from Wurth are brilliant and will do the job but there expensive.