ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Killed my 3rd Clio today

Qashcow
So, on Monday evening I got a text off Gray suggesting I look at link to CS advertising a Clio for sale. Slight engine noise, probably dephaser pulley on its way out.

7 minutes later my offer is accepted, we chat and discuss tactics. It was an hours drive away and I had today off work anyway.

I missed the first bus into town - I am not used to public transport - but managed to get on the next, had a quick pre-wedding hair cut and got the next train towards Bristol. So far this has cost me £8.70, which IMO, is a bargain.

I arrive in Keynsham and get picked up by the Clio's owner in his truck. He has already stated that the engine is fucked and I should really get it trailered away, but that would cost £90 rental plus fuel.

Turned it over, slight rattle which sounded top end. Meh it'll get home. Oil/water checked, monies paid and the deal done.

Homeward bound, the rattle slowly got a bit worse, got through Bristol ok then onto the M4, and it got reallllly bad. I was hoping I could get through the roadworks and onto the M5 before I'd need to pull over. Well, at the very junction, in 5th gear at 45mph it went bang. Smoke everywhere, chunks of engine rattling under the floor as I pulled over onto the hard shoulder.

40 minutes later and the RAC arrive to take me home. I didn't even bother looking under the bonnet until I got home.

So, to all those reading this who don't check their oil levels, may I suggest you do?!! This has probably done a couple of hundred miles with very low oil, been filled and sold and gone 30 miles further. New bottom end, maybe whole engine but isn't a great problem, I'll leave it on the drive for the next six weeks before I can touch it anyway.

Couple of pictures of my day out...

bd381dee.gif

af95e8d8.gif

6af9ad2a.gif

And this was on the RAC tow hitch when we got home, think I'm going to be finding lots more bits when I start looking

b426551e.gif

53 Clio's & counting
Yey best colour!! - memories :D

Bit of a shitter it let go mate, but im sure you will turn it around pretty quick ;) this one going F/I?

Il have to come have a nosey at it once your in full swing

RB Lutecia
Ouch ! Unlucky mate, been in a few situations like that with taking the risks on new cars and ive luckily been getting away with it, very unfortunate bud (N)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I fancied that for the plate but being so far away I pm'd the boy with detail of where to go for a new dephaser etc. Then sold it instantly after saying he was going to get it fixed which I thought was odd! Thank f**k I didn't decide to limp it home!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks decent, what were your plans with it once you got it home if you knew the engine was fucked?

I'd like your plate please and thank you :D

s**t i saw this and thought b*****d when i saw it had sold as i thought would be a good project.. thank god i hadnt got it but bad luck 4 u m8.. thats a mess

Qashcow
Oh I'm not fussed at all, I'm on top of the world at the moment. I get married in 38 hours, have a gf who doesn't care what I do with these things and no matter what I do, I've lost no money.

Beats a day feeding ducks at the park ;)

When I offered him the money, it was on the basis I was going to spend a few £000 fixing or replacing the engine anyway. It'll sit for 6 weeks till I look at it now though

Qashcow
all depends on money really. i could smack a new lump in this one for a couple hundred £££, tempting to find a meggy engine and try that but its lots of monies.

I do realllly miss the 280bhp supercharged Clio but ''been there, done that'' comes to my mind, its a verrrrrrrrrrry very clean shell, i would actually say cleaner/tidier/more perfect than my Silver clio which is why im more tempted to keep it rather than strip this one for parts.

Once i get up under the car after the honeymoon, i can get a real look at the rest of the car's condition.

Thanks for the wedding luck, the weathers looking good which is all we could have hoped for :)

Black 200
Sorry to see this, but hopefully good things will come of the car as it does look very tidy. Interested to see what you do with this now though.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Shame it's dead, car looks pretty well.

Wheel refurb and polished headlights would get the outside looking mint.

What's t'engine plans? EDIT: Just seen megane?

Sounds like you'll be making a car that's a load of hassle again if you ask me.

Why not bung a new lump in it with some decent cams or something? Or do a Russ style budget body build?

Looks a good buy that ;-)

Good luck for the wedding, lots of people will have said this to you but if will just fly by!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I did think "that cod rod shouldn't be there?" on the 3rd photo. Didn't take much notice of it's shape though.

275 Trophy
+1 on the wedding luck; mines next april.

Hope you get this back running, with whatever lump. 117 black pearls made - wonder how many are left? 11 years to the day today since mine was registered.

Petrol Blue 182.
Looks like a tidy enough example! another black on bites the dust. perhaps.

Lol at the effort the engine made to blow up though. I R Impressed

Qashcow
the wedding nerves have kicked in this morning, i think buying the car yesterday gave me something else to think about which was good. Now ive got it, time to think about more important things!

Thank you all for the best wishes!

Xanda, happy belated birthday to your Clio then, hope you took her out for a meal and an early night ;)

Qashcow
Looks like a tidy enough example! another black on bites the dust. perhaps.

Lol at the effort the engine made to blow up though. I R Impressed

I cant bare to strip this one too, she'll rise from the dead!! My dad couldnt stop laughing when I sent him a picture of the rod last night