ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kieran's 172 Cup

BlackGold 182
Well i thought i should start a little project, always to look back through any changes my cars make

Most of you know i used to own this 172

6909553283_4ac494b4a9_b.jpg

sold that and put some money in the bank

then i bought a tidy ph1

6946774581_a98e8ab6fd_b.jpg

loved how raw it was but think i just couldnt feel the same way about it as i did my previous one

so thought id try out something different that i havent had in my car history, and mx5

fa968f72.jpg

got bored of having to fight the battle against speedbumps along my road everytime i wana pop out, so went back to what i no best and swapped it for a mondial blue 172 cup

So now the Cup.

So Saturday morning me and Twiztid set off to meet a guy off of here from Newcastle so we decided best place to meet was Leicester, perfectly in the middle of both of us. So after a chat and a look around each others cars we agreed on swapping.
Now the cup has a decatted yozza and made the drive back great fun testing out the yozza, it has been remapped and i can defiantly feel the smoothness the power comes in compared to my previous 172s.

We then stopped off at one of the services on the M1 to get a bite to eat and have another little look over the car, only to find that 3 of the wheels only had 3 wheel bolts in, so made the 100 miles left a little bit nervy for both of us.

Got back and stuck the bolts back in, now i no the MOT was running out at the end of may and was a few things needed doing such as new rear discs and pads but wasn't a big deal. I went out that evening and got pulled over for doing 32mph in a 30mph limit ( first time ive ever been pulled over) then they did the usual checks and then told me that the MOT had run out on the 14th april, so I was stunned to say the least.
Thank god i only work up the road and don't need to drive, so in one way its a little project on the side I can do but still not pleased.

Yesterday we took the wheels off at the front as i feared that i needed a new bearing, found out it wasn't the bearing, the retaining disc screws had been drilled out and left, one of the wheel bolts had also been drilled out but half left in there, so only thing holding the disc on was the caliper.

Anyways i have now ordered and awaiting delivery of :

Brembo rear discs
Brembo rear pads
Brembo front discs
Oem Front Pads
Drivers side Hub

Going to be a oil change using geniune filter and fuchs titan 5w-40

New cup 172 badges for door pillars
New 200 style rear badge
Rear strut brace
Omp Trecento 300mm wheel

after ive sorted all that out then i will be booking the car in to have the bonnet resprayed in blue

also either 2118s or silver turinis

Anyways enough chatting heres a couple of photos, hopefully have her back on the road within a couple of weeks so ill get more photos up then :)

Pictures

DSC_0465.jpg

DSC_0472.jpg

85ebf14a.jpg

BG 182
looks good, is the last pic one after you washed it with Fairy? hopefully my cup will be sorted some time in the next 2 months so may see you at any south east meets

DAR

172 Cup toy
Why did you think the MOT was going to run out in May, but it was really April? What was the score with the wheel bolts, were they there when you collected the car?

Pics look good BTW.

BlackGold 182
Lol fairy why? None of the photos of it are mine, all from previous owner. Where abouts in the south east are you? Will you be coming to French car show next month?

Well I was told it was end of may, in the book with all the bits were mot certificates so I just assumed it was true, so I was silly on that part

Nope I must admit I looked at the brakes etc and just didn't even notice the wheel bolts!

BlackGold 182
Christmas come early :D

Parcels arrived today

603dd950.jpg

5a6018dd.jpg

Brakes all round and the hub turned up also along with spigot rings as 3 wheels were just running on bots not the hub

Depending on weather I will be cracking on with replacing rear discs this evening and raising her a little

White mx5 mk1!
That's if you got my spanner still ahaha be down about 5 will get pics of you doing all the work ahahah :p

BlackGold 182
Well done the rear brakes

Old dangerous cracked disc

4a7d7a62.jpg

Wafer thin pads

73432dc7.jpg

So much better with new brajes

Little problem though, the head take seems rediculasy tight?

BlackGold 182
Yeaa in a bad state to say the least! Just unsure why handbrake is so heavy? Everything else seems fine so cant understand.

Tomorrow evening will be from front passenger side and Friday changing the hub and disc.

More pictures tomorrow :)

BlackGold 182
well it gets worse, the otherside has had the retaining screws drilled out and left half in, so i take it i need a new hub for that side to now! and now doubting weather i could actually do it myself, problem is theyres no decent garages around here and i have no mot to be able to drive it further, so im a little bit stuck to be honest

BlackGold 182
Update

Well i cracked on with oil change this morning, thankfully the filter was nice and easy to get out. Used Fuchs Titan 5w-40 along with geniune filter and sump washer

1aa45141.jpg

26768dd3.jpg

c58f9544.jpg

During this i got another little package and was my new RS badge so took off old ones and put on new leaving the cup badge also.

Before

2099f5b5.jpg

After (much better id say) Also sorted out rear number plate as was sitting way too high and loose

ee983b5f.jpg

also Recieved my Omp 300mm wheel, feels soo much better to handle thanks to chris205 for getting it to me so fast, awaiting on airbag resistors and ph1 stalk

0f30a87f.jpg

Fitted

6be7844a.jpg

New Tax disc holder

0403dd72.jpg

Last but not least i have booked it in to Two Techs in Dartford for Monday 21st May to have both hubs fitted, new discs and pads, cat refitted to the car and the car to be MOT'd, Cant wait finally the car is getting the tlc it needs

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Didnt realise dans car was such a dog, if that cracked disc is on the n/s/r then I ended up spending 3 hours removing the burnt on brake dust off the rear wheel.

I've got a pair of 172 cup hubs with bottom arms and discs still attached.

BlackGold 182
Yeaaa loads of things that needed sorting! Thankfully it's getting there. Thanks chris but I have sourced both now, in process of being cleaned up and painted also

172 Iceberg Silver
Only way you can really get away with getting it to a garage is getting it trailer driven in. One way would be to find a garage that you agree to get the work done at, and also book an MOT for the day you are going there. Then you will be able to legally drive straight to the garage (but it must be booked in).
Hope it goes well for you. If the previous picture you posted of your old Clio is anything to go by it should be stunning :star:

BlackGold 182
Thanks mate! Yeaa the car is also booked in for an mot aswell so I'm fine on that front, they did say to me that it would be fine

BlackGold 182
Update

Just put a deposit down on some 2118s in white, unsure what colour to have them in tbh, white and anthracite?

BlackGold 182
yeaaa i think its gonna have to be anthracite, just purchused new speedline decals for them when i refurb them, just need to find a nice anthracite paint to do them in lol

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
keep up the good work mate. I had a few problems with mine when i got it but its getting there.

BlackGold 182
Update

Recieved my 100 resistors from ebay for 99p and fitted them in to the airbag connectors today and thankfully turned off airbag light, along with fitting a ph1 stalk so i now have a horn too :D

also got my rear strut brace already in yellow, not a nice yellow but will be resprayed at some stage

ed45fae1.jpg

also fitted my cup 172 badges to the doors

c6c727ad.jpg

After the engine bay looking a right state, i have been meaning to do it and finally got round to it in the pouring rain lol so still needs tidying up but its almost there bar the oil caps etc and the engine mount brace i messed up a little bit

First i sprayed the bits i wanted silver including the alternator

644ed7fb.jpg

then matt black on all the rest and the polished Renaultsport

f007be8a.jpg

So the car is finally getting all the attention it needed, looking loads better now and soon she will be on the road!

BlackGold 182
Cheers mate! Its such a nice feeling when looking at it and thinking how it's come a long way in short time

Although once 2118s and the bonnet is resprayed blue again It'l look a hell of a lot better

Good progress mate! Sounded like a bit of a state tbf!

TwoTech's will sort you out :) Matt and Terry really know their stuff!