ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kenny's Kup

I can only imagine what throttle bodies would sound like on a Clio! Must sound amazing. I've only bought an exhaust and im pretending its touring car! lol

Still loving the colour of this but I think you need to gloss black your bullets and renault badge.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Plenty folk that have got them, get a look on youtube for some videos.
It's a Renault colour, code is 369 if I remember.
The wheels will be going satin matt black, only because we've got loads of it left lol

182cup & 172 racecar
I can only imagine what throttle bodies would sound like on a Clio! Must sound amazing. I've only bought an exhaust and im pretending its touring car! lol

Still loving the colour of this but I think you need to gloss black your bullets and renault badge.

Here you go.

Sorry Kenny :wink:

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Nice to see it on the deck and rolling around kenny. 369 is Renault Glacier White the same as mine. They look very similar at least when mine is clean anyway.
I might have missed it but what is the plan once it's finished, as with the sequential box etc it's ruled out of a lot of race series.
Russ

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Only on the deck for the move, it'll be back up on stands soon enough.
Yeah that's the colour, the shell came pre-painted but the paint we got mixed up was miles off so just did the whole car. Got plenty of it left to do any repairs etc.

Due to my job, there's no way I could do a full season of anything so the plan is just to have a go at what ever fits in with my time off. To begin with though, the plan is to do sprints and hills with a few trackdays to fill in the gaps.
I would like to get my race licence one day, once I've had a bit of seat time in the car. I can still enter the Scottish Saloons with a sequential box.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
It's great having the car at home, it'll make it a lot easier to get on with all the wee time consuming jobs I've been putting off but the budget has taken a pretty big hit buying the house so i'll just need to see how it goes over the next few months.

It will get finished, one day.......

Yerp it has been really handy for me having the car near to work on, gutted for it to be moving away for a while.
but your last comment is the most important.... if you have that drive to complete it then it will get done

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Having second thoughts about getting a heated screen...
Was talking to someone the other night who's had 3 of them in 2 seasons (not clio) 1 failed and 2 got burst with stones.
Got me thinking it's possibly a better idea just to have a standard screen and then do something to stop it misting up?
Much less sore on the pocket to replace a standard one vs £250 a go for a heated one plus the hassle of getting it delivered.

What have others with race cars done?
Thoughts?

182cup & 172 racecar
Standard cheap screen, but have also kept heater matrix. The box has all been cut away, so that it just goes straight up to screen.

You will get through screens fact. Think I'm on my 4th one now.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Standard cheap screen, but have also kept heater matrix. The box has all been cut away, so that it just goes straight up to screen.

You will get through screens fact. Think I'm on my 4th one now.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, a standard screen is easy and cheap to replace in comparison.

Don't think I could get the standard heater box to fit now but something like a T7 heater might be worth thinking about.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Why spend all that money just put FogX on foe each event never had an issue in the rallycar and they mists up very quickly just to getting in and out the car a lot through the day.

Cheap as chips solution and never get caught out if a screen fails.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Wouldn't say it's stopped, but it's certainly on hold :pensive:
As i'm sure most of you are aware, the oil industry is going through bit of a slump just now, I've still got a job, for now at least but I've already lost my bonus and things are generally pretty grim so while I may want to, it doesn't seem wise to continue piling money into this until things have settled down.
The new house is brilliant but it's also costing a fair chunk more than the last place to run, we need to replace the heating and windows this summer so unfortunately the car is some way down the priority list.

I've got a few things I can do to it without spending much money so when I need a break from working on the house I'll get out to the garage and potter away, been so long now I can't actually remember what I was doing the last time I worked on it!

I've come too far with it now to quit so rest assured it will get finished.

Kenny.

As im sure all you oil folk are aware the rest of the coubtry has been going through a bit of a slump for what seems like forever lol

Sorry just couldnt help myself. Hope things get better and the huge bonuses keep rolling in :smiley:

ps. what the feck is a bonus?
pps my mate works ofdshore and ive been giving him the same grief lmao

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
this is beginning to sound like my thread, ha.
glad it will get there.

I think yours is probably progressing better than mine now! How's the new garage build coming along?

I'm still in two minds whether to build the new garage before restarting work on the car. If I do build a new one it will probably delay work for another year if i'm being honest with myself. This year we need to replace the entire heating system in the house and ideally change all the windows so I doubt there will be time or money left to do anything about a garage before the winter.
What I've got just now might tick the box as a double garage but in reality it's pretty crap and I think it would just frustrate me trying to work in it, stuff getting damp and drips of condensation landing on everything.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I dont think there will ever be a better project thread than this

I'm sure there are plenty out there with better builds than this, that and the fact I've now been working on it for 4 years and I've still not finished it detracts from what it could have been had I got it built in a year or so. I appreciate the comment none the less though :up:

If it was me I would be frustrated that it isnt getting used!

Frustrating is one way to describe it! Seeing it sat in the garage with stuff starting to pile up on top of it isn't where i'd hoped to be with it now.

If things go to plan with the work I need to do on the house I'm quietly hoping that I might be able get the cover off the car and chip away it over the winter but that will depend on how damp the garage gets!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Lol, I've spent many a weekend when I was younger scrabbling about on a gravel driveway changing engines, gearboxes, suspension, wheel bearings.......you name it, so I know it can be done but it's far from ideal.
Building the wiring loom was something I was looking forward to but I need to be able to lay everything out on a board and then work away it, cant really do that if it's going to soaked every morning when the condensation streams off the inside of the roof haha!

182cup & 172 racecar
Know how you feel.
I used to change gearboxes etc in the snow, now I won't doing anything on the car in the workshop if it a little chilly lol.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I think yours is probably progressing better than mine now! How's the new garage build coming along?

I'm still in two minds whether to build the new garage before restarting work on the car. If I do build a new one it will probably delay work for another year if i'm being honest with myself. This year we need to replace the entire heating system in the house and ideally change all the windows so I doubt there will be time or money left to do anything about a garage before the winter.
What I've got just now might tick the box as a double garage but in reality it's pretty crap and I think it would just frustrate me trying to work in it, stuff getting damp and drips of condensation landing on everything.

i have only just seen your reply (that is how long i have not been on the forum), the garage has come along really well, i will try and update my thread tomorrow with it. Not much more to do now, just finish painting the floor, then electrics, i will then insulate/board it next year i think (and wear jumpers this winter).

chin up on yours, we seem to have to go through these negative patches to come out the other side the better, yours is exactly the same as mine in timescale (i wish i wasn't at this point after 4-5 years but oh well). Stick with it, it will be worth it in the end,

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
This isn't really the sort of update I want to be making.

Those who've followed this thread will know progress over the past 2 years has unfortunately been almost non-existent and the last year I've not even had time to take the cover off it.

I knew when we moved house I'd have to put the car to one side for a while until we got settled in but the reality is, it's going to take us a lot longer to get back to a position where I'll have the spare time and money to buy the remaining parts for the car and even then, having the budget to compete in it seems like an impossibility just now.

I've had a massive amount of enjoyment building the car up to where it is now, and I've really pushed myself to make everything the best I possibly can, this is easily the best car I’ve built.
I accept this is also partly why it's not finished but it's just the way I do things so I don’t regret it.

It would obviously do the car justice if it was finished and due to the amount of custom parts it would be better to sell it complete. That said, it could be sold as a rolling shell and the engine/gearbox sold separately.

I’ll work on proper spec list over the next few days but in the meantime if you’re interested or want to know more please send me a PM.

Kenny.

Cup In bits
It would be good to see someone complete it kenny. I would have snapped your hand off as the wiring and attention to detail is something else. The money is better in the bank with the way the oil is just now imo.

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
@Kenny.s I'm really gutted for you mate :pensive: I really wish you could finish this. Is there anyway you could hang onto it? I'm sure you'll kick yourself if you let it go. All the best with your sale buddy :up:

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I was talking to the Mrs about it last night, and believe it or not she doesn't want me to sell it but understands the reasons why I've decided to try.
I'm not really sure what it's worth, either in bits or as an almost complete car with all the other parts I've accumulated but either way I'm not going to let it go for peanuts.

Just thinking out loud on some of the bigger parts, not saying these are sale prices, just throwing some numbers about.
You couldn't buy the same suspension for less than £3.5k
New shell and T45 cage fitted £3k
Sadev ST75-14 sequential, shafts, laguna hubs, subframe etc £6k
Brand new 182 crate engine £1k
Lifeline Zero 360 electric £600
Seats & Harnesses £800
Fuel pumps, Teflon lines and fittings £600
Mil-Spec connectors and wiring £**** (cough) lol

If I'm not going to get enough for it, then I'll need to figure out a way of keeping it and store it until such time that I can afford to finish it. Probably be eligible for the classic series by then :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I was talking to the Mrs about it last night, and believe it or not she doesn't want me to sell it but understands the reasons why I've decided to try.
I'm not really sure what it's worth, either in bits or as an almost complete car with all the other parts I've accumulated but either way I'm not going to let it go for peanuts.

Just thinking out loud on some of the bigger parts, not saying these are sale prices, just throwing some numbers about.
You couldn't buy the same suspension for less than £3.5k
New shell and T45 cage fitted £3k
Sadev ST75-14 sequential, shafts, laguna hubs, subframe etc £6k
Brand new 182 crate engine £1k
Lifeline Zero 360 electric £600
Seats & Harnesses £800
Fuel pumps, Teflon lines and fittings £600
Mil-Spec connectors and wiring £**** (cough) lol

If I'm not going to get enough for it, then I'll need to figure out a way of keeping it and store it until such time that I can afford to finish it. Probably be eligible for the classic series by then :smile:
I'm glad to see that you've decided to keep it and store it then mate, because honestly, the only thing that will sell reasonably easy is the sadev. Your prices are 100% realistic, but you'll still have all and sundry trying to kick you square in the b****cks for stuff mate!! Then the whole situation will put you off wanting to sell the remaining items I imagine! Lol!
If you can find a way to store it, I think it's worthwhile trying to, but I also understand your reasons for wanting to potentially sell up.

Shame if you do, but I'm confident you'll make the right decision that's right for you.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I've by no means decided to keep it yet, but if I'm not going to get a decent amount for it then I'll have no option but to keep it, as I said, there's far too much time and money gone into it to just give it away.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
ah man, how many times have i been in this position...
Having literally just come out the other side of this situation i am so glad i kept it. It has been a long time coming, I have owned the car since 2008 and its been off the road longer than it has on (in my ownership), its been moved around so many garages/workshops/farm sheds and funnily enough 4 years ago today i removed the engine (yet to go back in). Now i have a house, have built a garage, wired that myself and moved the car back and I have just spent a whole day working on the car today and it was so enjoyable.

I 100% made the right choice keeping it, although it was a struggle. I am unsure when i will complete it, money will be an issue, but it will get completed one day.... maybe to race hillclimbs when i am 40 or something, ha.

You have put so much of yourself into this project, time, effort (aswell as a decent whack of $$$$ it seems), that you will not get back. As Northloop has said you are unlikely to get decent money for the bits sadly, I think the market is pretty limited there. So it depends if you are happy with what you will get back,

Feel free to PM me for a chat if you like, i won't try and convince you either way, just my opinion based on my experience.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Appreciate the comments, unfortunately it's an all too familiar issue that many folk go through when building a car.

As luck would have it, the tax man of all people has just thrown the car a lifeline!
Just got a nice cheque through the door [emoji51]
Credit has to go to my recently appointed accountant for picking up on the issue and doing the necessary to claim back the 4 years worth of money I was due.
Hopefully this will be enough to keep things ticking along a while longer.
I've got a month off in January so I'm going to try and take some time out from working on the house and do a few wee jobs on the car.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Well I never managed to get any work done on the car last month but I did spend a lot of time looking at it and thinking long and hard about what to do with it.
I would have really liked to leave it sitting in the garage until circumstances changed and I was able to finish it but the way things are I can't even begin to guess at when that's likely to happen.

So it looks like it's going up for grabs after all.
I'd like to see it get finished by someone so selling everything in one go would be ideal but I know I would probably get more splitting it.