ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K4M Oil leak, thermostat housing?

RS172 Flamer
Hi all, I seem to have developed a small oil leak on my car. It is only a little drip here and there but I want to find out what could be the cause. I have read somewhere on a forum that these Thermostat housings have some oil passing throught them and it has been known to leak slightly. One fix was to just tighten up the bolts but that doesn't seem to be the case with my car.

Has anyone experienced this problem and how did you fix it? Also does anyone think it could be something else? I have considered the caps on the side of the engine but I don't it's them. From what I can see it is on the Near Side of the engine just above the gearbox (hence thinking Thermostat housing) but there is limited room to maneuver due to the position of the ECU/Battery and the Air Intake.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

PH1 172, E39
My car suffered this 3 months ago.
Your thermostat housing is connected to a metal water housing. Between the metal water housing, there is a gasket between it and where it connects to the engine. If this goes bad, oil begins to leak into the chambers where the coolant passes. A symptom of this is an oily substance in the coolant bottle.

It is an easy fix once you have the right tools.

RS172 Flamer
How did you fix it? And luckily it's not passing into the coolant, I think it is just leaking out externally

PH1 172, E39
Oh, you can tell I'm not very technically minded lol. Does anyone have a pic/link of what needs replacing?

Best bet is to replace the plastic housing with the aluminium one. Last longer. You will have to change the thermostat as the one in the plastic housing is molded on whilst the one for the aluminium housing can be changed separately.
I think the position of the temperature sensor is changed as well.

PH1 172, E39
Metal Housing vs Plastic Housing.jpg

1.4 16V '52
You can talk to West Renault on here or check a scrap yard over there to get one.
I hope this helps.

I have the one on the right, im leaking oil and it's mixing with the water. Should I just replace the seal or are they known to crack ?
​Cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Go with the gasket first mate, its cheaper than the full housing and normally this... Drain the coolant off first though.

Mick

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I've got a new gasket for mine as i have same issue .

can somebody tell me torque values .

One of tr bolts doesn't want to tighten very well !

is there some form of sealant you can use in conjunction with the gasket ?