ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just woke up to some very bad news.....

clio mk1 ph3
My mum just came barging through my door to tell me my windscreen has been smashed a roof tile which has come off during the south's windy conditions.

Now im 17 and on my OWN insurance with quinn with a excess of £135, also got RAC cover if that helps?? i dont think it would be worth claming but the i havent looked into how much a windscreen is, am i in for a shock??

wat do u guys think i should do?

pics to follow in about 20 mins!

a windscreen will be about £180 but some insurance companies will sort it for £50 without affecting your NCD

clio mk1 ph3
hallsy_g5

see my brothers pug in the background too, Quoted both for £170 total, seems good price

clio mk1 ph3
hallsy_g5

thats what came down on/in front on my car alone. Didnt even touch my neighbours X5 or brand new Megane! just booked both for £170, hopefully gonna claim or house insurance

clio mk1 ph3
Ive booked both of them to be done for £170 and my dad seems to think he'll get it back from our house insurance.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Sorry to hear that mate, but a windscreen is a lot cheaper than a roof, lucky the roof tile didnt do any more damage!

LY V6 with Recaros
Sorry to hear that, I hate this nasty weather :( Most insurance companies have an excess for windscreens of about £50-60 usually. It doesn't affect your no claims.

Blue Clio 182
Every insurance is different, when i go my first car i was with norwich Union and the excess was £120.00 for windscreens, now 2 years on it reduces to £60.00, ask your insurance what the excess is and then get a quote see whats cheapest!!

MK1 monster
thats really bad luck i feel sorry for you. my windowscreen got a massive crack last winter i didnt bother claiming on insurance it was only £65 for a new one fitted and claiming seemed more hassle than its worth!!

clio mk1 ph3
thats really bad luck i feel sorry for you. my windowscreen got a massive crack last winter i didnt bother claiming on insurance it was only £65 for a new one fitted and claiming seemed more hassle than its worth!!

where did you get yours done for £65 fitted:eek:

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
As long as your fully comp ever insurance company i've been with have done it for les than £60 with no effect on my NCD

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
ahhh you CANNOT claim car damage on your home insurance !! thats what car insurance is for !

MINI Cooper S
I claimed for a windowscreen in my first year of insurance (fully comp with churchill)... was £60, and they came and did it 5 hours after i phoned up, at midnight outside my house... check with ur car insurance first, it wont affect ur NCB either.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
if your fully comp your car insurance WILL replace the windscreen for £50/£60 but usually u hav to get them to do it. and it does NOT affect your NCD

Clio-V6
if you are going to claim under any insurance to do with your property it will be liability (and will fall under falling trees, ariels and roofing) under perils.

Thing is, its very hard to claim against a family member, especially if you live there and your possesions are covered under that policy.

do what everyone else would, claim under ur motor policy or if its cheaper, go to a local place and pay them. hous einsurance xs will be min of £50 (may be more for liability) and will affect gross premium come renewal

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
^ no mate you are totally wrong. i work in insurance claims.

car insurance is for the car and home insurance is for the home ... u cant claim for something the insurance isnt for.

Last edited:
  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I swear that some policies aloow, that if your car is parked on the property / land that the home insurance covers, any damage to it caused buy the hosue itself is covered.

Clio 172
ahhh you CANNOT claim car damage on your home insurance !! thats what car insurance is for !

I think this is right - I'm sure your home insurance won't pay up cos you have separate insurance on your car - do like most people are suggesting and check your glass damage excess - £50 to £70 depending on insurance co and no effect on NCD - Im fairly sure you dont even have to mention it as a claim when renewing (or if you do it doesn't have any effect on the price of your policy)

Driving around today I've seen about 4 fallen trees nearly laying in houses!

This wind is immense. The trees near me keep losing there branches and flying onto cars, needless to say I've parked out of the firing range lol.