ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just tested 182

Quote: Originally posted by matlow on 30 June 2004

does no one else think the speed can be deceptive in the 182?? many a time ive thought come on move, looked down and found out im travelling a fair bit quicker than i thought.

for instance, one of the fastest "feeling" cars ive ever been in was a mini. real world performance wasnt anywhere near as quick as it "felt" i was going.
Some cars do that to you. My old RB5 Scoob used to disguise its pace very well and it was only the speedo that gave the game away as the car was just so smooth and fuss free in acceleration compared to anything I was used to.

since i posted that ^^ i have a real urge to buy an old shape mini again, squeaky suspension and all.

damn rose coloured glasses ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yeah, some cars "feel" quicker than they are like my R5 Turbo and 106 GTi did, both were quick cars, but felt really quick!

Clios do feel quick though, my Cup did anyway...

Cant say my 182 disguises speed - theres too much tyre roar to do that. Still very comfortable on the motorways though.

Mines done 3100 miles now, and it keeps impressing me in almost every way. Would leave my old 306 Rallye for dead - straights or corners! The suspension is an odd kettle of fish. You HAVE to be smooth, otherwise you end up looking like a tit - a bit like J Clarkson did lifting the rear wheel on Top Gear. If you lift the rear wheel as high as that, then youre doing it wrong.

Problem is, the steering is so direct, it can be difficult to be smooth.

Also, Im not convinced ESP is a good thing - I reckon it makes the car unstable under braking. I know it shouldnt even be cutting in at that time, but every time Ive switched it off and had to do some evasive braking - the back end has behaved itself.