ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just test drove a 197 - My two cents.

172 Cup
Yea, so I thought I'd call in Renault just on the off-chance they'd have one in, and they did. Had a sit inside, then asked for a test drive.

He took a few details off me and off we went, my brother jumped in the back so we were 3 up. First things that I noticed were that the steering is really so much lighter than the Cup, when I got back in mine it was like it didn't have power steering. The gearbox is a lot nicer to work with, shorter throw and that all important 6th gear is perfect and much needed in the 172/182 because it just instantly shuts the engine up altogether.

The one I was driving had done 1600 miles. The acceleration is timid to say the least, I can reflect the opinions of the majority on this one, getting to 5k on the rev band seems to take forever in every gear, and when you do the '5k kick' is almost non-existant!

The clutch and accelerator pedals are a lot lighter, which is a small blessing if you're driving the car long distances in heavy traffic, by the end of the outing I felt very comfortable with it and was a bit of a shock again when I got back in the Cup.

As for the cornering, we took it around a few country lanes and it felt very composed indeed. This is where the 197 really shines, the build quality also makes you feel as if you're in a much more composed car all round when you're slinging it round bends. The wider track is very noticeable.

The seats are really comfortable, although the side supports are softer than the Cup's, they still hold you in as well I think. Also the rear lumber support I could really get used to, much softer and a nicer place to sit overall.

The dash/centre console I wasn't very impressed with, looks too basic and a bit ugly. I wouldn't like to think I'd have to look at that every day. However the overall build quality in the cabin is far superior to the 172.

So in a nutshell that's my opinion on the 197. I was happy to get back in my Cup afterwards, as I left the dealership I gave it some in 1st and 2nd and it was obviously faster. I don't think I'll be buying one, the Cup is a much more involved drive, the lighter steering on the 197 takes a little bit out of the 'feel' but you soon forget that in the corners.

It's like Roy said, you just don't at all feel as if you're driving a 197bhp car, or anywhere near it for that matter.

Good review, i was also disappointed, was looking for somethin more hardcore than mine, think a kit car or elise is the way i should be heading!

al

ST on the way...
Put in 6th tho at 60mph and it's doing the exact same revs as a 1*2 is in 5th :S

from Trophy 2 work van :(
pecan said:
Oh forgot to mention, the salesman also said he's had 70mph out of 2nd gear in it.

b****cks, they say what you want to hear! Bet he said the same about your cup when it was in the showroom! Saw a black 197 today and thought it was just an average 1.4! Had to look closely to see it was a sport! I aint trading mine for one of those! :coffee:

If the speedo is as optimisic as the power claims I'd expect 100 in 1st

hp, bhp, ps - whatever you call it, it does not have 197 of them IMO. I expect most cars to maxing out at 189-190bhp at the fly. Which would expalin the seriosuly slow performance given it's weight.

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i'd like one, saw one in black, looked very squat etc, but it would have to go like the cup for me to be interested...

from Trophy 2 work van :(
Lol^^^^^^^^^another mr your all jealous!!

Swervin Mervin.................................ghaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

An orange one
am i the only one that actually preffered the 197 to the 172/182?

i am unbiased as i have owned a 172 cup and currently a V6...if i needed 4 seats and a nice car to drive yet still handle excellent...i would be seriously looking at a 197 (cup version when available) the gearbox is fantastic!

my mums 182 just feels nervous and old hat after the 197..

>puts flame jacket on, cause people cant have their own opinions and like the new models on this forum<

The Jinx
Did I say you were jealous, kids?

No.

The point some, including myself, have tried to make to you guys is that exactly the same criticisms could be levelled at the ph1 172, the first of the hot mk2s, by the mk1 owners.

Do you really think Renault are marketing it as something better than the 182 or Trophy? The car should be viewed on its own merits and if you're going to compare things then bear a few factors in mind, the main one being that it's the first incarnation. As you all know well, there'll be more. If it's a similar progression in models from the mk1 to mk2 that should mean about 32 hot versions before the mk4 comes out.

ColinG said:
am i the only one that actually preffered the 197 to the 172/182?

Nah not at all mate, I also think the 197 is a better car all round. My only worry about buying one, would be that I'd always have this nagging feeling that it didnt have the pace to match it's ability. In it's current state of tune I honestly believe that to be the case. Me, personally, when I upgrade I would like to think it will be to a car that is equally as quick or at least feels as quick.

172 Cup
Swervin_Mervin said:
Do you really think Renault are marketing it as something better than the 182 or Trophy? The car should be viewed on its own merits and if you're going to compare things then bear a few factors in mind...

The point is mate, a lot of us already own a 172/182 variant, so we're obviously going to compare the 197 to what we already have because, let's face it, if we are going to upgrade to a new car it surely has to be better, otherwise what's the point?

Nissan 350Z
The 197 is a better car in terms of interior space, build quality, safety.

Unfortunately, thats not what the typical hot hatch buyer is looking for. I'm sure its a good car, but it desperately needs more torque and power by the sounds of it.

The Jinx
pecan said:
The point is mate, a lot of us already own a 172/182 variant, so we're obviously going to compare the 197 to what we already have because, let's face it, if we are going to upgrade to a new car it surely has to be better, otherwise what's the point?

Whilst in many ways I agree with that you have to bear in mind this is Renault. Releasing the best variant straight off won't make as much cash as gradually making them better.

Their tactics at the mo are perfect. I was in Renault Manchester a couple of weeks back buying a new towing eye and went to have a mooch under the bonnet (looks a lot easier to work on btw than the mk2s). There was a guy there in his 40s, I'd say, and he was asking me what I thought. He'd driven one and while he said it wasn't as quick as his 182 he still wanted one. He also knew that the prices were being held high at the mo and would probably drop in a few months, but he was still deadly serious about ordering one just because he had to have one.

Renault are brilliant at marketing their cars to cream the most out of the buyers

172 Cup
Well yeah, there's obviously gonna be more variants and I can wait to see them. I agree with you on the marketing, Renault are good at it. My point is that it has to be perceived as a better car in order for someone to buy one, and a lot of people just aren't convinced. Buying one just because it's the latest one in the range is lame.

The Jinx
pecan said:
Well yeah, there's obviously gonna be more variants and I can wait to see them. I agree with you on the marketing, Renault are good at it. My point is that it has to be perceived as a better car in order for someone to buy one, and a lot of people just aren't convinced. Buying one just because it's the latest one in the range is lame.
Totally agree, but to be fair enthusiasts won't make the majority of their sales. I mentioned a Cup version and this guy declared he wasn't interested in such things. Selling the full fat versions at full whack, on the back of the previous model, allows them to sell you and I the better versions that will undoubtedly come.

Most manufacturers lose money on the hot models but I bet Renault run it close to breaking even.

Last edited: