ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just Starting Out, Canon 70D

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hi all im thinking about buying a Canon 70D with the 18 - 135mm lens for my birthday next month.

I was also looking at the Canon 7D but was told that its an older model and that the 70D replaces it?

Is there any other accesories that i will need to buy when starting out?

Any help and advice will be a great help.

Many thanks

Scott.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
The 70D is a good choice, the 7D is more of a pro grade camera and will feel more solid but the sensor in the 70D is superior, and a good improvement. So I’d go with the 70D.

If you want photos of your car then I’d recommend a CPL filter for the lens (obviously at the relevant filter size) too. Other than that you would possibly look at a spare battery depending on how much use the camera will see.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Nice choice, I don't know much about the 18-135 but I don't imagine it's the quickest lens? We'll see what others say.

It’s not that fast, no. But it all depends on the OP’s budget.

The perfect walk around for Canon crops is the 17-55mm F2.8 really, but that comes with at a higher price as can be expected. Although, the Tamron equivalents go for a lot less and are said to be very good.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers guys, the lady in the shop said that the 70D was made smaller and lighter for the female market as the 7D is bigger and heavier as its made from alloy.
The 70D has better bits inside though (see im up on this tech stuff...lol)

Is the CPL filter something i can buy s/hand off of ebay? If so then cold you point me in the right direction as i know nothing.

For the female market? LMFAO

70D is a much better all-rounder, great for video, the flip out touch screen I actually really like using. But it is plastic, not weather proof, and slower than the 7D.

In all the tests/reviews I've seen the 7D is still the one to go for if you're doing motorsport/action photography (due to full weather sealing, metal body, faster continuous shooting etc..) but for a beginner wanting something that can do motorsport and day-to-day photography the 70D wins hands down.

Having my 7D hanging off my shoulder for a day it does start to get a bit cumbersome lol

The STM motor in the 18-135 is really good for video, it's smooth accurate and silent.
It's not very fast for action stuff though and the f3.5-5.6 will limit you if you want to do any bokeh style shots.
I'd recommend grabbing a cheap 50mm 1.8 to accompany the 18-135 as I do to all new Canon owners tbh.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thats what she said...lol

She came across as if the 70D was going to take over the 7D.
Yes i did think that the 70D felt a little cheap compared to the 7D but i guess it would and i wasnt over keen on the plastic feel/look of the 70D but price wise they where the same. I wanted to get the 7D but the lady did say that the 70d was lost better.

I dont want to be buying a camera and then in a year or 2 needing to buy something else, id rather get the right one now. I just want to be able to take shots of my car/motorsport stuff and then day to day stuff kids/family but who knows how far ill end up getting into it.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
The 70D will match the 7D for most of the stuff and exceed it in some areas, it all depends on how much the build quality bothers you. Both are fantastic cameras, either way you’ll be pleased.

Oh and the CPL filter could be bought second hand, but tbh I’d just buy one new, I got mine for £25 for a 77mm filter thread.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
For the female market? LMFAO

70D is a much better all-rounder, great for video, the flip out touch screen I actually really like using. But it is plastic, not weather proof, and slower than the 7D.

In all the tests/reviews I've seen the 7D is still the one to go for if you're doing motorsport/action photography (due to full weather sealing, metal body, faster continuous shooting etc..) but for a beginner wanting something that can do motorsport and day-to-day photography the 70D wins hands down.

Having my 7D hanging off my shoulder for a day it does start to get a bit cumbersome lol

The STM motor in the 18-135 is really good for video, it's smooth accurate and silent.
It's not very fast for action stuff though and the f3.5-5.6 will limit you if you want to do any bokeh style shots.
I'd recommend grabbing a cheap 50mm 1.8 to accompany the 18-135 as I do to all new Canon owners tbh.

Cheers Phil.

Is this it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-50m...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item4614e4bb14

The 70D will match the 7D for most of the stuff and exceed it in some areas, it all depends on how much the build quality bothers you. Both are fantastic cameras, either way you’ll be pleased.

Oh and the CPL filter could be bought second hand, but tbh I’d just buy one new, I got mine for £25 for a 77mm filter thread.

Thanks, its my birthday next week so ill sleep on which one to buy.

987 Boxster S
I've just bought a 70D from Panamoz, best price I could find. I upgraded from a 400D and it is much better, especially in low light. I have bought a spare battery and two SD cards for it. I would look into getting a tripod if you have not got one already.

Yeah that's the one mate (50mm). You can get them dirt cheap 2nd hand if you watch ebay and they are fantastic little lenses for low-light or bokeh shots.

As Niall said the 70D and the 7D are soooo close you'd be chuffed with either. The 7D is a bit more pro-biased as it'll take a beating a bit more, but the 70D touch screen and video system is mind blowingly good. I think the 70D will be pretty huge with amateur video guys.

I saved money up for a 70D but in the end went with the 7D because I do a lot of scrambling around circuits in the rain with it hanging off my shoulder. For everything else (day to do day photos, holiday photos, etc....) I wish I had the 70D

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers Phil, i think im going for the 70D then as i wont be scrambling around circuits in the rain with it hanging off my shoulder...lol

Im looking forward to getting it now and learning how to use and get the most out of it.

Just be nice to get some great shots of my car tbh. :D

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Try Amazon for the 50mm, I'm sure I had an email from them about a lens sale and it was one of the featured lenses. Think it was £70 new.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers guys, the lady in the shop said that the 70D was made smaller and lighter for the female market as the 7D is bigger and heavier as its made from alloy.

You defo need to head to the gym again Scott, if you're being confused with a lady.

Don't know anythig about the 70D .. but just remember that lenses are the most important part.

I used a friends 600/700D at the weekend with the standard 18-55 on it.

What a load of..... :eek:

I wouldn't get an 18-135 .. 15-85 maybe .. you can buy mine.

Check out Digital Rev for purchase prices. ;)

Buy my 7D so I can buy a 6....

PS:

50mm on a crop is limiting. Mine never gets used. Sigma 30mm f/1.4 FTW ;)

Last edited:
The sigma 30mm 1.4 that I had was such a piece of s**t. It missed focus so often it was unuseable and when I sold it I lost a ton of money on it.
Good for video but for photos it drove me nuts. Needed a ton of af correction dialled in to stop it under-focusing. I hate sigma lenses :(

Bought a Canon 28mm 1.8 this time and it's so much nicer

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Right so TEG, man the f**k up and buy the 7D and f**k off the lens and jyst get the 18-55 mm for now.

Is that what you are saying?

Oh and im not to bothered about doing videos.

Right so TEG, man the f**k up and buy the 7D and f**k off the lens and jyst get the 18-55 mm for now.

Is that what you are saying?

Oh and im not to bothered about doing videos.

NO!!
The 70D is better for what you're doing. The 18-135mm is completely different to the old hat 18-55's.

Stick to your plan it's a setup you really really won't regret

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
NO!!
The 70D is better for what you're doing. The 18-135mm is completely different to the old hat 18-55's.

Stick to your plan it's a setup you really really won't regret

Right ok thats what ill get then. :)

With the 18-135mm then ill buy that other lens off of Amazon. :)

TEG, I need teaching on how to use it. :D

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
70D is a brilliant camera but IMO it is a bit "strong" for a beginner. If I were you, I'd buy a Canon XXXD (much cheaper) and would buy a decent lens from the price difference. It is completely unnecessary to buy a mid-range DSLR untill you are not familiar with photography. Till you learn the basics, 70D will be "old". And the first lesson you will learn: lenses are more important than the camera.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
It’s not that fast, no. But it all depends on the OP’s budget.

The perfect walk around for Canon crops is the 17-55mm F2.8 really, but that comes with at a higher price as can be expected. Although, the Tamron equivalents go for a lot less and are said to be very good.

I picked up the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 recently, great lens.

Oil Burner
Buying new bodies is a great way to loose money and won't make as big a difference to the images you take as a decent lens will.

If you're set on buying a crop body then I would look at a used 7d (circa £5-600) and then buy a decent piece of glass for it. Bare in mind that 24mm isn't actually very wide on a crop body.

I would personally buy a used Sigma 10-22 (i think there about £300 used) then a 70-200 F4 (Non IS) for your motorsport (£300ish)

Both of those lenses are very good. But affordable. As you're buying used you won't loose any money on the lenses. And the body has already taken it's major hit already in terms of depreciation.

If you decided in a year that you didn't like photography and just wanted a good compact camera I would expect you could sell the above kit for 90% of the purchase price.

I fully agree with that - except that you might take a bit of a hit on the 7D as the 7D MKII comes out in the next 6 months - but it doesn't matter because the 7D at £5-600 is a fecking bargain.

You'd have to pry my 7D out of my cold dead hands. Owned 2 of them and for fast moving stuff (planes, birds, cars) it's epic.

Oil Burner
I fully agree with that - except that you might take a bit of a hit on the 7D as the 7D MKII comes out in the next 6 months - but it doesn't matter because the 7D at £5-600 is a fecking bargain.

I think the 7d has already taken a serious hit with the 70d 60d 6d making consumer cameras seriously high performance and good value. So suspect the 7D will take less of a hit than historically MK1 bodies have taken after a MK2 launched.

Can't believe I used 'there' instead of 'they're' in previous post. I'm off to go and top myself now… lol

LMFAO nah had a brand new one not long after they came out - but sold it to be a nice boyfriend and help my girlfriend get through uni

Now she's working again I've bought myself another.