ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just passed my test..

Lookin to buy a mk2 clio.
And I reallly want a clio. Mk2Ph1, 1.4 16V and i have £3k to spend. Do you reckon I'll find one for that price realistically? (I saw a green one on the for sale part that looked nice!), If I cant get one of these is there any other cars worth getting? Not too much to insure or tax etc. just a cheap, but fast car that i wil be happy with for a year or so. Also is there any problems when I go to look at clios for sale, that i should look out for? (you'd be the experts on this i assume) Thanks for any help:)

My dCi (01) which is the ph2 model cost me just under 4k when I bought it 2 years ago, I would of thought you could get a ph1 or 3k

is 3k for the car AND insurance, or just the car?
I have about £4k. But £3k for the car is my budget, anything under that means more i'll have for insurance. Otherwise i'll have to wait a month to ssave up. I've been lookin on autotrader, seen lots of ph1's but not many 16V ones, And I ideally want a 16V one. I'm not in much of a hurry, my gran lets me drive her car (but not on weekends). So I can wait for the right car to come up, but then again I really want a car asap. hehe. Just excited to have passed:D

Volvo S60 T5 asap
1.2 8v with 60hp, fairly nippy bout town. not too bad on open, just doesn't like hills. think that is group 2 or 3. thats said like foxy, anything at 17 will cost a bomb to insure

mk4 golf gttdi180
i just paid 2000 for my mk2 phs 2 on a 51 with climate e/e etc in williams blue ish . my insurance was gona be 1100 on a mk2 1.4

mk4 golf gttdi180
1.2 8v with 60hp, fairly nippy bout town. not too bad on open, just doesn't like hills. think that is group 2 or 3. thats said like foxy, anything at 17 will cost a bomb to insure
yeah mk2 ph1 8vs are gd first cars insurance like em i sold my old t reg lowered with 17s on and sport back box that went for 2000 but i paid 1600

if your 17, my first years insurance on a 1.2 16v mk2 ph2 was nearly 2 grand

I'm 18, I got quoted on Quinn, for £1500 for A 1.416v clio. third party fire+theft. They're only group5 which is cheaper than similar engines in other makes or cars. I'm off out driving my family about now, I'll coem back on later. Safe driving to all! :cool:

Looks nice, but a 1.2. I learnt in a low powered car and pulling away reallly got to me. (no offence to you guys who have 1.2s) i'm just set on a 1.4 16v. hehe.

1.2 16v clio
to be honest the 1.2 16v have got some pull for a 1.2 and insurance these days is ridiculous. ive had mine for a year and half its going up for sale in like 2 weeks probly in your price range but if your set on a 1.4 then do that but i wouldnt get insured third party personally.

ur megane r26
I'm 18, I got quoted on Quinn, for £1500 for A 1.416v clio. third party fire+theft. They're only group5 which is cheaper than similar engines in other makes or cars. I'm off out driving my family about now, I'll coem back on later. Safe driving to all! :cool:

that was said earlier /\

well im 18, 19 in october and have 1 years no claims, i paid 1600 for my first year, and 950 for the second but if i were to sell my 1.2 16v and buy a 1.6 i would get the insurance for 1100 i thought that was pretty good

to be honest the 1.2 16v have got some pull for a 1.2 and insurance these days is ridiculous. ive had mine for a year and half its going up for sale in like 2 weeks probly in your price range but if your set on a 1.4 then do that but i wouldnt get insured third party personally.
Well I'm paying upto £3k for the car, insurance would cost £1000 more maybe for fullycomp. I'm a cautious driver when thres lots of other road users, and I dont think the cost of repairing the car and the loss of ncb etc would make up for the fully comp thing. If It was a brand new £10k car then i'd definatly get fully comp but not right now.

Chelsea tractor
It's usually about the same as the engine capacity isn't it? ie. a 1400cc would be £1400 odd (certainly was in my day!).

PM'd about my little clio mate.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Im not sure the differences but i would go for an 8 valve engine everytime if i was looking for a 1.2-1.6, Bit lighter on fuel dont know about insurance wise and a lot easier to work on. To insure my 1.6 8 valve it was £1600 1 yrs ncb and 1 years driving

Im not sure the differences but i would go for an 8 valve engine everytime if i was looking for a 1.2-1.6, Bit lighter on fuel dont know about insurance wise and a lot easier to work on. To insure my 1.6 8 valve it was £1600 1 yrs ncb and 1 years driving
I've read on paper that its more efficient? I dont think the insurance differs cos of the bhp increase. Also 1.6's are more tax. I've thought this through ;)
I'd of thought the engines would be similar to work on? well I know its all ecu and computer chips now. but still similar to 8V no?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
i wasnt saying get a 1.6 because your correct about tax. 16V have a bit less space to work around but if your like me and work for renault 5 days a week the quicker you fix your own car the better.

mk4 golf gttdi180
16vs are more money to fix the diet engine (8v) easier and cheaper i like them but they are a bit slow of the mark

Well I'm paying upto £3k for the car, insurance would cost £1000 more maybe for fullycomp. I'm a cautious driver when thres lots of other road users, and I dont think the cost of repairing the car and the loss of ncb etc would make up for the fully comp thing. If It was a brand new £10k car then i'd definatly get fully comp but not right now.

so you're willing to risk throwing away 3k's worth of car if you crash into someone just because you dont want to go fully comp?

182 Cup
Well done on passing, keep an eye on the speed limits and dont get caught out like some sucker on here did recently.

If you do, dont come on here crying conspiracy!