ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just how bad are 182 gearboxes?

205 GTI, Clio 182
From who? A 1991 205 GTi is nothing like a 182, absolutley nothing like it.

Oh, just a few posts on here allude to them being very notchy. Like this quote for example:

But the suzuki had a gear box which means you can wring it's neck, the 182 does not,

182 yeah i'm doing 7kRPM, then by the time you've changed gear (in a none gearbox breaking way) the engine has dropped down to tickover nearly, then you bring the clutch back up and the engine screams back up the revs, toss.

I love a sweet gearbox, but so long as it's no worse then an average car I don't mind.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Lol, I stand by my it's the worst gearbox I've ever used comment, even a Suzuki wagon r has a better one.

I think its harsh to say they're really bad, as that's just my opinion.

Drive one decide for yourself.

GB 182 FF
Lol, I stand by my it's the worst gearbox I've ever used comment, even a Suzuki wagon r has a better one.

I think its harsh to say they're really bad, as that's just my opinion.

Drive one decide for yourself.

You need to driver a current shape MANUAL Ford Mustang and a VX220 to find a properly terrrible pair of gearboxes lol
Actually The 59 plate Skoda Octavia I'm currently having to endure has a pretty horrific shift too.

The 172 and 182's I've driven have felt like Rolls Royces lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
they arnt bad gearboxes, they dont have issues like some of the other renault boxes JB1 and JB3 dont seem to like going into 2nd gear untill under 30mph, no matter if your blipping or heel and toe'ing or not.

the problem is average joe thinks that to drive fast you MUST change gear like the fast and the furious, this is not the case, you can change cogs just as fast as you can with any other car just take it easy dont force it, ive done about 50k hard miles in 172's and never had an issue.

there are reliability issues with the boxes but again this is mainly down to miss use, dont wheelspin and dont man handle it into gear!

Stripped yozza'd cup
My cup is on 71,000 miles and the gearbox still feels fine... Yes, the throw is a tad long but it's not the end of the world.

As said, it's the drivers that break gearboxes.

ITB'd MK1
there are reliability issues with the boxes but again this is mainly down to miss use, dont wheelspin and dont man handle it into gear!

agree with that whole-heartedly. There's a lot worse boxes out there than a JC5

With regard to the 205 gti comparison, that box is the most joyful bucket of bricks you'll ever use. I heart BE3

205 GTI, Clio 182
agree with that whole-heartedly. There's a lot worse boxes out there than a JC5

With regard to the 205 gti comparison, that box is the most joyful bucket of bricks you'll ever use. I heart BE3
Yeah it's not bad. 2nd can be tricky to get occasionally, and it's long throw is annoying.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
My cup is on 71,000 miles and the gearbox still feels fine... Yes, the throw is a tad long but it's not the end of the world.

As said, it's the drivers that break gearboxes.

I agree. Like I said in the other thread, my 172 has done 130k and still on the original clutch gearbox, and I drive it very hard.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Does anybody do an uprated linkage? Im not too fussed with reducing throw but would like to make it more positive. Or is there bushes ect that wear out in linkage? My 172 has done 56k

330i. E30 Touring.
They're percieved as unreliable, but only when mistreated. As said, really.

They don't like being rushed, and the synchros aren't the strongest, but all in all, I like 'em.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I'd say just like any gearbox fresh oil and mechanical sympathy. Also no silly things like reversing hard then into straight first and nailing the loud pedal

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Well I'm going to disagree about the PSA gearboxes being pants. I've got a 40k miles 51 reg saxo VTS on the drive at the minute and it's gearbox is easily better than my trophy or any other 1*2 that I've driven. Even my shed of a mondeo tdci has a better gear shift action and better feel. The nd0 and tl4 gearboxes seem to feel alot better but obviously they run off cables and there's reliability issues with the tl4's

Megane 265 Cup
I didn't know people thought they were bad?

I can't really say anything bad of mine at all...

Mines a little knotchy when cold but fine when warmed up. As said don't force it and its fine.

Have to agree with the newer citroen / pugs :dead: