ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had a crash...

Iceberg 172
I'll email you the pics mate... I'm absolutely sick to the stomach. I can't eat or anything.

Spoken to the police and apparently there's CCTV on the road. My insurance company have said all they need is a reg number so even if the CCTV didn't see the collision it should of seen the van parked. Also the lady in the BMW has said it was the vans fault as has an independant witness.

So fingers crossed they'll catch him. He'll be done for driving without due care and attention and leaving the scene of an accident. I hope he loses his job and does 6 months in the big house. There could of been kids in either cars. A poor excuse for a man.

If my spelling or grammar is poor I apologise cause I'm using my iPhone.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear about it. Someone pulled out on me which caused someone to go into the back of me and although it wasn't my fault he knew he caused it and didn't stop either. Point being, most people don't stop.

You can't do him for leaving the scene of an accident. He might have caused it, but he technically hasn't been involved in an accident. Did the cars that were behind that had to brake that carried on going leave the scene of an accident? Nope.

Hopefully it all gets sorted for you. The lucky thing is with a huge company like BG their insurance will just cough up and not argue. Fighting with BillyBob as a rando would have been shite.

some taxi went up the back of my mates car and just drove off, police did nothing and said they cant do anything either, so many people just fleing away.

sorry to here it mate hope u can sort it all out with no hassel

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Also to add, unless his vans actually damaged im not sure how you go about saying it was his fault even if he was driving like a diddy?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
You can't do him for leaving the scene of an accident. He might have caused it, but he technically hasn't been involved in an accident. Did the cars that were behind that had to brake that carried on going leave the scene of an accident? Nope.

Well, this is an interesting point. I'm not sure where legalities lie. If he caused it would you not say he was a party to it and responsible for it?

I understand what you're saying but I still think if it's someones fault it should go against their insurance.

Iceberg 172
There's CCTV on the road aswell as 3 peoples statements saying it was his fault. It was the policeman who said they'd do him for leaving the scene of an accident.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
There's CCTV on the road aswell as 3 peoples statements saying it was his fault. It was the policeman who said they'd do him for leaving the scene of an accident.

So how do you go about finding out who it was..?

Was his van in contact with your car or the bmw?

Iceberg 172
No there was no contact made. My insurance company have said all they need is a reg number to make the insurance claim against BGs insurance. From there I'd expect the police to investigate who was actually driving if they're interested in prosecuting.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
No there was no contact made. My insurance company have said all they need is a reg number to make the insurance claim against BGs insurance. From there I'd expect the police to investigate who was actually driving if they're interested in prosecuting.

So you said this lad/lass in the van was driving erratically your insurance is taking that as gospel?

Iceberg 172
I'll be honest the information I've got is from the PC who attended which is backed up by my girlfriends dad who has been a traffic cop for 30 years.

I appreciate all the advice etc but when it comes down to the legalities I'm being informed by relatively reliable sources!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, the insurance Co take what you say as the truth over the phone.

They then investigate what you say.

If there are multiple witnesses I'd say that's good enough.

Iceberg 172
It should all be on CCTV as well so
hopefully he won't have a leg to stand on.

Based on what I've posted I don't understand why there's so many people disagreeing with what the law are telling me!

A SHED!
It should all be on CCTV as well so
hopefully he won't have a leg to stand on.

Based on what I've posted I don't understand why there's so many people disagreeing with what the law are telling me!

either way, im so gutted for you and the car. Its such a shame. Hope all get sorted easily for ya mate.

Iceberg 172
Why are you being so rude?

Based on the above information ie witnesses and CCTV the few ounces of common sense you have surely would tell you that he's gonna get screwed?????

Unlucky, £1200 is a stupidly high excess even for your age!

However, regardless of whether you're blaming the van... you're the one who caused the crash with the BMW by swerving into it. I know you may not agree with this, and to some extent neither do I, however thats what the insurance will think.

This tbh.

I am one of those who would point out it might not have happened if you'd got ABS though...

Iceberg 172
either way, im so gutted for you and the car. Its such a shame. Hope all get sorted easily for ya mate.

Me too mate. I'm praying it gets fixed cos I doubt I'll find another that will be the same.

Did you get the pics on email?

A SHED!
Me too mate. I'm praying it gets fixed cos I doubt I'll find another that will be the same.

Did you get the pics on email?

yea got the pics, pains me to look at em. My gf was shocked. The main thing youve got think is at least your not hurt, you can replace a car, not yaself.....christ im like yoda....so so wise! lol.

Iceberg 172
yea got the pics, pains me to look at em. My gf was shocked. The main thing youve got think is at least your not hurt, you can replace a car, not yaself.....christ im like yoda....so so wise! lol.

Sorry but thanks. Pains me too. I've got a momo team steering sitting at home which I was fitting tomorrow and a CF splitter on order. I'm gutted.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The value you tell doesn't make any difference at all. They won't base anything on that. Or I could insure a base model at £20k then sit it on fire.

I'd say book was under £4k. Do they really repair for 75% of the value? I find that hard to believe..

First off to the OP - sounds like a right mess, that. :( Let's hope that you get some luck through BG.

I've thought about that ..... but in reverse though. What's to stop you getting a £10k Evo and then insuring it for a value of £50? Hopefully it won't get stolen (lol) - but even factoring in the risk of the driver having a crash, we'd still get fecked on premiums.

D.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
A friend had a crash, very serious.
She came round a corner, van overtaking a wagon, she swerved and rolled car twice. Dislocated shoulder, damaged ribs. Although she was out of hospital soon after it took months to sort her ribs out.

Anyway, there was no contact with any other vehicle, van drove off. But witnesses backed up what she said. They never caught the van but witnesses were enough. Insurance paid for her car and it didn't cost her a penny. Kept her NCB etc... insurance company were great about it.

What im trying to say is I think you have been lucky with who you hit and with CCTV and other witnesses. So you may be okay, plus like said before im pretty sure BG have trackers.

Also I don't see how ABS would have helped in this situation, from what you said it sounds like you didn't stand much of a chance.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
A friend had a crash, very serious.
She came round a corner, van overtaking a wagon, she swerved and rolled car twice. Dislocated shoulder, damaged ribs. Although she was out of hospital soon after it took months to sort her ribs out.

Anyway, there was no contact with any other vehicle, van drove off. But witnesses backed up what she said. They never caught the van but witnesses were enough. Insurance paid for her car and it didn't cost her a penny. Kept her NCB etc... insurance company were great about it.

What im trying to say is I think you have been lucky with who you hit and with CCTV and other witnesses. So you may be okay, plus like said before im pretty sure BG have trackers.

Also I don't see how ABS would have helped in this situation, from what you said it sounds like you didn't stand much of a chance.

So where did the blame go? I always assume that insurance companies need someone to point the finger at? :S

Clio 182 FF & Cups
Sorry to hear About this. Hopefully justice will prevail and brtish gas man will be found and punished. Such a shame t see another cup damaged. I wonder how many would still be with us if Reno had fitted abs....

Cooksport Fleet
Hope your shoulder gets better!

Ring BG, not sure how happy they will be to give out information so you can skrew them over... but you never know :)

Hopefully you will get the cup back.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like it could be swinging your way if it does you should feel lucky, these thing probably happen everyday with the cause driver leaving the scene.