ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had a crash...

Iceberg 172
I can sail 20m down the road with the wheels locked up on ice from a walking pace, so at 25mph a couple of car lengths with locked wheels is nothing.

Don't forget that as soon as your wheels lock, the rate at which you slow down drops dramatically! So where you could stop quite comfortably in a space if your wheels don't lock, with the wheels locked you go a lot further...

Thanks mate!

I'm not a naughty 18 year old ragging a 2.0 16v Clio around the streets!

This is the slowest car i've owned for over 3 years...

Barge
Can your legal cover not help you out on this? Or Willy Wonka - she might be able to tell you what to say to get this moving in your favour.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
As per pm mate, good luck with the valuation and poss repair.

Blimey. Didn't expect it to be that bad after what you've said.

£5100 is stupidly generous. Be awesome to get that.

That's got to be a write off. Surely. I don't understand why you're so desperate to get it back? Let them write it off and buy another one.

I won't join in the 'you were going too fast' jibba jabba as you don't need that. I crashed and people said that to me, but I wasn't speeding so know how you feel.

That's going to need both wings, bumper, bonnet, grille, rad, that's without whatever else it's damaged underneath. Really can't see them repairing it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's not 'worth' £5100

When the insurance pay out they must give you retail money to buy the exact same car from a garage so retail is always higher.

65% is £3315. That's how much the insurance could spend fixing that car.

In terms of damage behind the panels it's only going to be inner wing, slam panel and rad surely??? I don't really know these cars too well yet (only owned it for 6 days) so not sure what else is close.

And yes... the BMW could of just reversed up and driven off if the women wasn't so shaken.

Yeah you are talking inner wings, slam, rad, the hoses, brackets coming off of everything you wouldn't expect them to. The chassis legs could have taken more of a beating than you would expect. Has the bonnet pushed up and ruined the scuttle panel bit?

I had a 10mph impact in my 306 and you would be suprised how much of a mess it makes of things.

When you start talking fogs, fans etc etc it all really mounts up. You arent talking a few hundred quid from a scrap yard stuff, the insurer will have brand new parts, lots of labour.

Hope it works out well for you. I find the passion goes out of a car when its been in an accident.

Iceberg 172
Blimey. Didn't expect it to be that bad after what you've said.

£5100 is stupidly generous. Be awesome to get that.

That's got to be a write off. Surely. I don't understand why you're so desperate to get it back? Let them write it off and buy another one.

I won't join in the 'you were going too fast' jibba jabba as you don't need that. I crashed and people said that to me, but I wasn't speeding so know how you feel.

That's going to need both wings, bumper, bonnet, grille, rad, that's without whatever else it's damaged underneath. Really can't see them repairing it.

I really want it back as I've completely fallen for THAT car. I very much doubt i'll be happy with another one now. But we'll have to see... I've never felt like this about a car before.

It'll probably be written off and i'll end up with a 172 FF and stick my suspension, wheels and exhaust plus the steering wheel on it and i'll be more than happy I just can't look at it positively atm.

Iceberg 172
Yeah you are talking inner wings, slam, rad, the hoses, brackets coming off of everything you wouldn't expect them to. The chassis legs could have taken more of a beating than you would expect. Has the bonnet pushed up and ruined the scuttle panel bit?

I had a 10mph impact in my 306 and you would be suprised how much of a mess it makes of things.

When you start talking fogs, fans etc etc it all really mounts up. You arent talking a few hundred quid from a scrap yard stuff, the insurer will have brand new parts, lots of labour.

Hope it works out well for you. I find the passion goes out of a car when its been in an accident.

That's what i'm trying to do atm... resent it, but i can't!

If it makes you feel any better, I have been pondering over doing my calipers yellow for a while but thought it may look a bit too colourful. Your pics have swayed me to go buy some yellow paint!

S3, Polo
Gutted about the car, hope you get it sorted and that's a generous valuation too! Go Gally! :)

@ ilovewilly - Make sure you get some 'Brembo' stickers too, to complete the look! :rasp:

Iceberg Ph1
How uncanny...

n814830153_835369_9460.jpg

This happened to me when a van pulled out in front of me from a bus stop, no indication, nothing, I swerved, broke and slid straight into a lamp post, the van fooked off leaving me trapped in the car, wing was pushed right back and the door was jammed, had to kick the door open to get out, I had about 10 witnesses, most of which was stood at the bus stop and see the entire thing happen, police took the case on and about a week later sent me a letter saying they closed it with no results.. I wouldn't rely on them one bit tbh (but that's just me) CCTV was located about 50 yards up the road and yet they said there wasn't enough to go on to find the van/driver.. In the end I had to claim via the MIB and received a fair sum for injuries, lose of earnings and shortfall on the settlement I got for the car..

Total sh!t situation and I feel for you entirely! I hope things work out well for you mate

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
£3315 is a lot of money mate.

Clio's are expensive to repair tbh but a slim chance.

Barge
You'd be very surprised. I crashed my Dynamique years ago, needed new rad, wings bumper, bonnet, lights, grills, etc. Came to just over 4k.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Renaults are very expensive to repair!

It's crazy how it adds up.

For starters, there's no way the insurance company would value it at £5100. There will be untold amounts of damage under there. I hope I'm wrong, but SRS, you're not going to see that again.

Serious.

Roy is right. Price up just the parts and it's going to cost a fortune. Fudgey already said his was £3k and his wasn't as bad as your crash.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's true tho, 3k is nothing in repair terms just now, most of the repairs i'm assessing these days are 2.5k+ for such simple little bumps.

The insurance will use the valuation of 5100 against repair costs.

Iceberg 172
No idea atm... If it's a write off i'll definately buy it back as I'm sure the wheels, suspension and exhaust are going to be worth more to me than what they want for it.

My plan would be to buy a FF 1*2 and put my Cup spoiler, wheels, suspension, exhaust and Momo Team 300mm steering wheel on it. I'm tempted by pulling the engine out of the cup and putting it in a higher mileage but good condition FF 1*2 (which I could get cheap) as I know how good that engine was.

I'd then sell the std parts off the new 1*2 that i'd buy along with any parts that are wanted from the written off Cup. Ie interior (for bog spec clio's), 2 x std steering wheels, pedals, dash, doors, etc etc.

I may get a really nice FF 1*2 out of this and make a few quid. I'm starting to think that I'd prefer a FF with all the toys on it, however if I get my Cup back i'll be more than happy.

Iceberg 172
Well I would but I don't know anything...

1) What they'll offer me for the Clio.
2) How much it'll be to buy back.
3) How much I'll have left over to buy another one.

I have nearly sold a FF to myself though!

The 200 idea is off as I'll be honest, i'm not a lover on the looks (never really looked at them before!) and the 197 is probably a bit under stated for me and a bit big, Plus I would then have to buy Coilies, Exhaust, New boss for my steering wheel probably, My wheels would be no use etc etc and I'd prefer to use all those bits rather than sell them off for 1/2 of what they're worth to me.

I'll be honest, I just feel embarrased and ashamed of it all... especially to NAthan (the old owner) as the car was a real credit to him. It was lovely.

Iceberg 172
Thanks Carole! Have you ever thought about going in to Counselling as well as being a Lawyer!? You could market yourself very well and I'll write a testimonial! lol

Taking the engine out would be a stupid waste of time and money.

Someone bought their Cup back after being written off before Christmas (tiny damage compared to yours) and it cost him under £500 I think.

Iceberg 172
Taking the engine out would be a stupid waste of time and money.

Someone bought their Cup back after being written off before Christmas (tiny damage compared to yours) and it cost him under £500 I think.

My brother is an ex Renault Mechanic so it wouldn't cost me a thing and taking a complete engine out and a complete engine back in wouldn't take that much time with the right facilities and the right tools (which he has!).

Hopefully buying it back will be fairly cheap. The wheels are worth more than £500 to me as they have 4 brand new Toyo's plus I have a spare Turini in the boot.