ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just got a call about my 172 MOT

EP3 Civic Type R
Took my 172 for its MOT last week, knew a few things needed doing, handbrake on one side, maybe some new pads wipers etc, light stuff.... anyways they have called back today, with a bill of £517.00 !!!! This included a service.... I can not believe they did not warn me prior that the bill would be this large, surely a phone call in advance letting me know of the failures and problems... anyone else think this is unreasonable?

Ph1 172 + Combo van
they should call you and tell you that it is more work and what it is going to be before they carry out the work. i work at a garage and we have to do it otherwise the customer will come back and say no i didnt want that and we have to put the old parts back on!

Suzuki Ignis
Total yeah! Dont know what you can do though, maybe argue and get the price down abit?

EP3 Civic Type R
Im totally speechless, As far as I know nothing major was wrong, all tyre's sound, no scored disc's... handbrake failed on one side they seemed to make out was the majority of the work... also needed new wiper blades (peanuts)... what on earth could amount to 500+ quid !!!

Ph1 172 + Combo van
ask them if they done a job card and can you see it and it will tell you exactly what they have done! then look at the bill too. if they dont match up tell em to do one!

EP3 Civic Type R
I have no idea what to say though??? Going to get a faxed copy of the invoice to my work ill post the break down for you guys to see if im getting done over :(

First of all, find out what work has been done to get the bill to that level, also tell them you are not happy the work has been done without your consent.

Once you have this information, post up the work done, and I am sure that people on here who run garages will provide you qith quotes substantially less than you are being charged that you can go back to the garage who have done the work with and say, your over charging me for work I haven't authorised, sort it out ;)

Ph1 172 + Combo van
most garages do a job card which the mechanic who is doing the work will write out everything that they do to the car. then the higher up person normally will write the bill after seeing the job card.
write the invoice on here and we can tell you if its too much!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Sounds like a bunch of cowboys if you ask me mate, id get down there and tell them on no-uncertain terms you will be paying without a detailed run down of whats been done!

£500, f**king mugs

Ph1 172 + Combo van
im assuming its not a renault dealer. isit a large garage or just an old shed in a back garden?

EP3 Civic Type R
They aren't Renault... but id not class them as a back street garage as such either, they have decent equipment levels and i have used them before regularly... thanks for the advice guys, not handing over a penny until got some answers, all i know so far is the handbrake job took the most of the brunt according to mechanic 'a'

BMW M135i
Handbrake cable is not a big job so i'd deffo find out a cost breakdown. And the work should never have been done without your explicit consent imo.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
They should've told u the price u'll be paying and getting ur approval being doing the work. refuse to pay imo. I've done it, and got my pads and disks done for free.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Jokers.

Whats their hourly rate?

They have probably charged you £20 to fit some wipers blades.

I don't think I have ever paid a garage to do work to get a car through an MOT. Easiler the get the up to standard before you take it in.

EP3 Civic Type R
Belts were done by prev owner, okay lads ive got the info as follows:

MOT TEST FEE: £45
LABOUR: OIL SERVICE, SPARK PLUGS, FIT REAR PADS AND DISCS HANDBRAKE CABLE AND WIPERS: £125

10/40 SHELL HELIX: £21.38
OIL FILTER: £6.45
SPARK PLUGS: £10.20
HANDBRAKE CABLE: £35.50 (f**k me)

*REAR PADS* £21.00
*REAR DISCS* £169.80

WIPER BLADES £12.46

Obviosly add vat to everything except the test fee, and there you have it... £517.11

I can see immediately where I think i have been shafted, pads and disc's come to over £220 with the VAT on ?????????? and the handbrake cable at almost £40 notes

HELP isn't the word...

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
tbf mate thats about right as rear disks are £149 + vat at reno so add thier cut and thats about rigth

EP3 Civic Type R
tbf mate thats about right as rear disks are £149 + vat at reno so add thier cut and thats about rigth

Are you being serious... ive just been on ebay and you can buy brand new Disc's for £55, I fail to believe a pair of disc's cost £200 for a Clio, they are only 238mm !!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
you can buy them without the bearing pressed in for thst price yeah, then you need to but new bearings (£25 each off k-tec)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
you can buy them without the bearing pressed in for thst price yeah, then you need to but new bearings (£25 each off k-tec)
Plus it's a b**ch to do in comparison. Any saving he made on the parts would of been taken up by the labour charge

pwnt.

Same thing happened to me on the mrs old 1.2. They wanted to replace the worn bearing that had to much play in. Problem was they had done the job about 3 months earlier. Even with that taken off the bill still came to £470ish. The car was only worth that so got rid asap.

Never again am I using a cheep MOT station. The f*****s will find fault in everything and make their money by replacing things that dont need doing.

EP3 Civic Type R
Is there anything I can do, im scanning eurocar parts and things are significantly cheaper, I think the garage use AndrewPage for their stuff, I cant pay this just now so im leaving it with them for a few days, £232.55 for some disc's and pads on a Clio, who would have thought.

Is there anything I can do, im scanning eurocar parts and things are significantly cheaper, I think the garage use AndrewPage for their stuff, I cant pay this just now so im leaving it with them for a few days, £232.55 for some disc's and pads on a Clio, who would have thought.

people who researched the running costs of a car before buying it?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
thing is garrages have to make money if they charged you what they paid then they wouldnt be in business,

it did sound expensive to start off with, but looking at the break down it all seems reasonable

To be helpfull instead of being a nob like i was a minute ago; the best thing you can do is to complain about the work being carried out without your consent. At this point the garage will argue that it needed to be carried out to pass the MOT, to which all you have to say is you could have had the work carried out for cheaper as *insert some relative or friend here* is a mechanic / handy with a spanner and wouldnt have charged you labour.

EP3 Civic Type R

people who researched the running costs of a car before buying it?

Apreciate the dig mate, but seriously, this is a Clio not a Evo
i did research the price of aftermarket replacment parts, I guess I should have had the car prep'd and just bought the parts myself...

EP3 Civic Type R
To be helpfull instead of being a nob like i was a minute ago; the best thing you can do is to complain about the work being carried out without your consent. At this point the garage will argue that it needed to be carried out to pass the MOT, to which all you have to say is you could have had the work carried out for cheaper as *insert some relative or friend here* is a mechanic / handy with a spanner and wouldnt have charged you labour.

I was thinking this, ive had another bill from the same garage about 2 years about which amounted to over 600 pounds, in fairness the car that was in there at the time, was literally coming apart at the seams and I had no problems, however this DID ring me in advance to let me know if they should proceed? I could have got this done for about 2/3 the cost at least

Clio MK 4
I used to go to this garage and theyd never ring to tell you anything. They dont even ring to say they have finished so i had to keep chasing and when i get there i have to pay the ful wack.

EP3 Civic Type R
you pay the sport premium im afraid

But thats the thing though, no offence but its nothing amazingly special to run... How does the rear disc assembly differ from say a 106GTi or a Saxo VTR? price wise that is...

I was thinking this, ive had another bill from the same garage about 2 years about which amounted to over 600 pounds, in fairness the car that was in there at the time, was literally coming apart at the seams and I had no problems, however this DID ring me in advance to let me know if they should proceed? I could have got this done for about 2/3 the cost at least

Its worht a punt, just dont get angry or upset and keep saying how 'dissapointed' you are