ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just got a call about my 172 MOT

EP3 Civic Type R
Going to, just wish they had called in advance to let me know where it had failed and not just DONE the work and billed me for parts without my knowledge

The only comeback you have is fact that the garage carried out the work without your consent.... which they cannot do!

If you really don't want to fork out the cash its simple.....

tell them you didn't authorise the work,
make them put the old parts back on,
do it yourself or go elsewhere.

You need to make a choice .... argue or just give in and pay up.

My VTS recently had its MOT and the garage went ahead and changed my exhaust from the CAT back without asking.

I asked them if it was needed to pass the emissions and they said no but it was rusted and blowing.

To be fair it did need changing but to make a point i made them put the old one back how it was.

I then purchased the parts for half the price online and fitted it myself :D

EP3 Civic Type R
The only comeback you have is fact that the garage carried out the work without your consent.... which they cannot do!

Is there anywhere in writing I can verify they can not carry out the work without my consent? I can see their response in my head already

'you said mot the car, so thats what we did'

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
They should always phone prior to doing any work you aren't aware of, mainly to check the price is ok.

clio sport cup
you didn't authorise the work end of story, they HAVE to inform you what needs changing etc.

I assume you didn't say.. 'yea yea, do what ever to pass it' as some off the cuff remark, even if you did, they have NO proof you said that, unless u signed something to that effect.

I would demand they take off all the stuff they did.

Is there anywhere in writing I can verify they can not carry out the work without my consent? I can see their response in my head already

The key word is MOT 'TEST'. You should get a pass or fail.

Its not a repair and replace any parts they feel like... that should be advised and checked with you first. I would give your local trading standards office a quick call, i'm sure they will say the same.

Mountune Tractor

Its not a repair and replace any parts they feel like... that should be advised and checked with you first. I would give your local trading standards office a quick call, i'm sure they will say the same.

Yes buy didn't he take it in for a service aswell?

EP3 Civic Type R

Yes buy didn't he take it in for a service aswell?

Quite true guys, i did not say 'whatever it takes' I exact words to the receptionist were

'Book in for mot, and service please' which i commented on new plugs and an oil change needed doing, I did not mention anything with regards to disc's pads (as far as i knew they were fine) and or handbrake cables. MOT is TEST exactly, pass or fail... if you fail... a retest is conducted usually at a lower price after the work has been carried out to bring up to scratch. I authorised nothing, no calls regarding work needed etc... Its difficult to communicate with them as I work the same hours they are open and find very little time to deal with them directly. As ive said, in previous examples ive took a vehicle there and they have alerted me of why it has failed in the past and asked should they proceed.

Trading standards it is then

172 Cup
My last service the rear discs and pads were changed cost me an extra £160, but they did ring me, was a bit shocked how much they were though.

BMW M135i
The rear discs are expensive but thats just how it is, the cheapest you can get them for is £130 from GDI with CS discount. The rears for a 225 are £240!

Still doesn't take away the fact that they shouldn't have just done it without checking with you first.

172 Cup
my company doesn't do any work with out signed consent or a recorded telephone call. This is for the protection of the customer and garage as they cant come back at you either.

Seek professional advise, im sure you have the upper hand.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
They have to ring the customer before work is carried out no good carrying out a 1k repair if thwey havent rang to say it needs it for all you know the bloke/woemn may have no money and want to scrap the car for example

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
They should definately of got your authorisation for the work. But make sure you do the complaing in person, remember, they have your car, if there's an unpaid bill I bet it would take a while to force them to release it heh, although I don't know, I'd just assuming the police would be useless. Don't start with trading standards, that's not the way and from experience they're pretty toothless anyway, and won't do FA unless it's over something massive. Talk to them politely, and quietly, don't get all shouty and angry or they'll not want to help.

To be fair, you got genuine Renault parts not pattern ones (which can be a bit questionnable - non-bosch MAF on a VAG anyone ;)?), the discs included bearings which are £50 a pair seperately, MOT is a fixed price of course, the labour looks reasonable for all that too me - I had my 197 given it's first service recently, at Renault, and it was £206. Although I suppose it was a full service, rather than just oil, but I don't think they do much more.

But I suppose, if it had just failed, what would you have done? You could have got the cheap, £55 ebay discs, although I must say - I would never trust something so vital as brakes to a nameless brand from ebay... Ordered the bearings, waited for it all to arrive, presumably whilst having to drive round without an MOT? And you'd have discs, possibly ok, but probably of a much worse quality, must be cheap for a reason?

A friend of mine put some 39.99 eBay discs on the front of his Astra Coupe Turbo and when he took it for MOT a few months later he was advised that they had several hairline cracks, and whilst they weren't about to immiediately break, they would eventually... I've never had/known that on any of my or anyone I knows cars heh. Just added that in to explain my prejudice :)

Last edited:
  EP3 Civic Type R
They should definately of got your authorisation for the work. But make sure you do the complaing in person, remember, they have your car, if there's an unpaid bill I bet it would take a while to force them to release it heh, although I don't know, I'd just assuming the police would be useless. Don't start with trading standards, that's not the way and from experience they're pretty toothless anyway, and won't do FA unless it's over something massive. Talk to them politely, and quietly, don't get all shouty and angry or they'll not want to help.

To be fair, you got genuine Renault parts not pattern ones (which can be a bit questionnable - non-bosch MAF on a VAG anyone ;)?), the discs included bearings which are £50 a pair seperately, MOT is a fixed price of course, the labour looks reasonable for all that too me - I had my 197 given it's first service recently, at Renault, and it was £206. Although I suppose it was a full service, rather than just oil, but I don't think they do much more.

But I suppose, if it had just failed, what would you have done? You could have got the cheap, £55 ebay discs, although I must say - I would never trust something so vital as brakes to a nameless brand from ebay... Ordered the bearings, waited for it all to arrive, presumably whilst having to drive round without an MOT? And you'd have discs, possibly ok, but probably of a much worse quality, must be cheap for a reason?

A friend of mine put some 39.99 eBay discs on the front of his Astra Coupe Turbo and when he took it for MOT a few months later he was advised that they had several hairline cracks, and whilst they weren't about to immiediately break, they would eventually... I've never had/known that on any of my or anyone I knows cars heh. Just added that in to explain my prejudice :)

Cheers for the input mate!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Np dude, hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction. Just keep cool, remember they need your authorisation for any work - but also it wouldn't have passed the MOT otherwise, and they fixed it using the proper bits. Maybe even explain you realise that, but you'd have preferred to have the chance to shop around. You can get decent aftermarket discs, including the bearings, for less than £220 for example.