ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just got a 172 after a few years of v6 ownership...

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Well after 5 years of ph1 V6 motoring, me and my missus have finally ventured out and bought a ph2 172 as a tidy everyday car. The last owner was magpie (Dawn) so I was confident it was a good example. After a few days hmmming and arrring i drove down to High Wycombe to hand over a deposit if it was as good as I was hoping. Luckily Dawn had kept the flamer in great condition with all the right upgrades for everyday use. Initially I was worried the aftermarket exhaust would be too loud for my 10 month old little' un but in reality it sounds great and isn't intrusive at all. After a quick test drive the money was handed over with the idea of picking it up in the week. Luckily Dawn was kind enough to deliver it the next day! Bonus!

It was a few days until i was allowed to drive it on my own as the missus fell in love with it! The first thing that struck me was the huge difference between this and my v6. They feel completly different to one another. Two completly different ends of the spectrum so people who try and compare them are barking up the wrong tree. Ive always enjoyed the handling of my ph1 v6. It turns in well with light steering inputs and has plenty of feel. After abusing it to within an inch of its life for a few years now I also feel very confident in it as it requires a completly different driving style. You just need to be 100% on it which I personally love. The 172 on the other hand is completely different. Point to point it feels like a dart. This particular 172 has KTR coilovers, 20mm spacers all round and a set of toyo proxes. You don't even need to think about whats going on. Its literally point and squirt motoring. 2nd and 3rd gear off of roundabouts is very entertaining!! Is it faster around them than a 230hp mid engine v6??....definatly yes! Is it faster out of them??....I dont think it is. The much wider rubber on the back of v6's supply massive grip when loaded up correctly. Either way, I've come to the conclusion the fwd clio offers bags and bags more fun during half assed driving. Not so exciting, just more fun!

I can't really comment if the 172 feels much slower than the lard assed vee. Ive only drove the 172 up to about 90 or so but it definatly feels like it would run out of puff before the v6 but not dramaticly. I personly reckon this is because of the very short gearing of the smaller car has. Feels electric at slower speeds with the revs heading for 7000rpm in short intervals. The 3.0 v6 however is longer geared in all cogs, still swoops to the 7k mark but feels more relaxed.

As things go, I am very impressed with the little one. Great as a run about and very entertaining when you want it to be.