ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just broken down aux belt part gone...

Car is on its way to have its belts done and it' gone, what are the odds! Unsure of damage. It just died spluttering and found part of my aux belt gone.
15095197373462061723164.jpg

172 Ph1
Has the outer edge of the belt parted company , or has the inner part of the belt ? , it looks like the belt has drifted over into the engine .

Such bad luck :(
If it died and lost power - it doesn’t sound good .

Naturally it’ll need investigating . Sad [emoji17] times

Outer edge towards the wing, but looks worn outer and inner on the lower pulley but it is still in one piece as far as I can see.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I bet the bit of the belt has found it's way into the crank pulley and taken the cambelt out or slipped the timing.

No metallic sound of the engine chewing itself up but you can't tell without opening it up I know. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

Listerine & Poledo
172 did that. Out of the blue, the actual alternator bracket gave out.

Made zero difference to the engine itself.

dan's cast offs.
belt has jumped and no compression :disrelieved:

it was coming in for cams so at least a head swap won't add much more to the bill and only about 45 minutes to the job but just seeing what heads i can find and take it from there.

As Carl said above its slipped its timing. Cams are moving when turned over but no compression so probably took all the valves with it. And to add insult to injury the AA guy sheared the tow eye, lol.

Dunno what to do now, break or new head?

dan's cast offs.
i mixed the cams up when i took them out and didn't notice when i was building the head up, only spotted it when i was trying to tighten the cam cover up BUT didn't even think about the fact i'd bent any valves until i'd build it all back up and was just about to start it, reached in to turn the key and just had an 'oh s**t' moment before i even turned the key!!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
i mixed the cams up when i took them out and didn't notice when i was building the head up, only spotted it when i was trying to tighten the cam cover up BUT didn't even think about the fact i'd bent any valves until i'd build it all back up and was just about to start it, reached in to turn the key and just had an 'oh s**t' moment before i even turned the key!!

Was it a "fuckin t**t" moment? 😂

Fills me with confidence this Carl, hahaha...

Clio 172
Haha, I was so paranoid about doing the same when refitting my cams I set all the pistons to 1/2 way up the bores and didn't move them until the cam covers were fully on and timing tools in place then very gingerly turned the engine round to tdc on no.1 :smile:

I've absolutely hated every minute of working on this engine and hope I never have to touch it again!:tongueout:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Proper s**t luck there @JB21!

I've actually thought about mine on the way to having the belts done...... "What if a belt went now?"

You're living proof that unfortunately, these things do happen. :anguished: