ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

jump start a petrol with a diesel

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
want to jump start my mates car with my mums diesel, is it doable quick response please!

Last edited:
  2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Well i heard that it is dangerous to jump start a petrol car using a diesel car. Is this true?

M2 Competition
Lol, the fuel wont have anything to do with it!

All you're doing is using the charge from her battery, how could that be dangerous?

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
I cant see why it could be dangerous because it is a diesel? A battery is a battery ... Remember to have the diesel car running so the generator produces current.

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
lol i know th fuel wont ave anything to do with it, i have read that diesel batteries supply higher voltage or supply at higheer amps which can burn out the starter motor of the car being charged? or something, or explode the battery of the car being charged? im not sure tbh, just things i have read just now on google.

clio 182 + cup packs
good quility jump leads and connect the two posotivs first then the two earths of both cars last stops any surges. then start the running car up the start the flat battery car

If your in doubt about jump starting a vehicle all you need to do is ensure that the battery voltages are the same if so then its fine.

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
i did it and it worked!? took a while to back the e class round my semi-circle drive as the battery was in the boot but did it. thanks for help i feel like a fool for worrying.:rasp: