ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Juddering when braking..

Searched around, people have said things like carriers being stuck or warped discs which i agree with. but... This is now the second set of HC discs I have used... I really haven't been hammering them at all in the past 2-3 months i've had them on.

The carriers (one on each side) where seized so I got 2 new sets of these and fitted them with the old discs on (about 6 months ago) and it seemed to cure the un even braking i got but I still had a judder so suspected the discs had warped... had them changed and everything seemed fine then about a month later started happening again!

Any ideas what it could be? I've looked into maybe getting some 4 pots not to solve this issue but so i can be happy it's nothing else like the calipers or the actual piston thats causing me to waste money on discs!

Charged Superleggera
could be that the carriers havent been fitted properly ie they arent sitting flush so the pads arent contacting the surface of the discs evenly causing you to warp the discs

Mk5 golf gti
^^^ good responses
maybe give the sensors a clean up
i reckon its most likeley to be the carriers make sure they are sat right
as this could cause your discs to have uneven run out giving you juddering under braking

Sprint 172
Common problem and one I have only just fixed. Discs don't warp - it's a old fashioned term for changes in the disc metallurgy caused by runout of the disc/hub. If there is runout present on the hub or disc (or both) it causes one area of the disc to touch the pads more often and changes the metal structure at that point creating a judder or pulse effect as the pads grip level changes as the disc rotates (with me so far!?). Fitting new discs is only a temporary solution (about 2000 miles usually) if the runout was created by the hub. Of course the disc could be at fault if there was any debris between the disc and hub - doesn't take much to cause runout. So, if the problem was on the hub (as mine was) the only solution is to take you car to someone with a pro-cut on car disc lathe http://www.skimmydiscs.co.uk/index.html . This costs about £90 for both discs and it completely removes the runout problem as the discs are very carefully machined on the car. I have just had this done and the braking performance is fantastic! Hope this helps.

BMW M135i
Fitted new guide pins iirc? The carriers themselves might be worn and allowing the pin to slop about in them, depends on how the vibration feels tbh. Nothing a good poke about shouldn't be able to find, somethings got to be looser than it should be.

could be that the carriers havent been fitted properly ie they arent sitting flush so the pads arent contacting the surface of the discs evenly causing you to warp the discs
Carriers are/were fine.

PH1 172 Sport
Would that be caused by seized carrier pins?

EDIT: I've only noticed it since putting my rear tyres on the front. Would uneven tyre wear cause brake feedback through the pedal?

Golf GTD Mk7
caister said:
Would that be caused by seized carrier pins?

EDIT: I've only noticed it since putting my rear tyres on the front. Would uneven tyre wear cause brake feedback through the pedal?

You would in theory, but could be coincidence

It did used to judder when I bought the car, so stripped brakes down put new discs and pads on (HC Brembos and ferodo 2500s) and realised carriers where seized (one on each side) so got 4 new ones, fitted those, fitted brakes and everything felt fine! Then around 2 months or so later, I get the juddering feel again :/

Could something on the car be twisted causing the hub to be off centre or anything silly like that? It has had quite a rough fornt end crash so thats whats got me thinking about things being twisted... :(

Golf GTD Mk7
brake imbalance maybe? presume you don't hold your foot on the brakes when you're at traffic lights etc? there might be something between the disc and pad? best to strip them down, have a look and see if that helps. I know the feeling you're experiencing though mate, it's very off putting.

Caister, if the edges of the pads don't have a gap where they meet the carrier, when they expand due to heat from braking they will stick. Depends how hard you're pushing it though.

I got a lot of smoke coming from the front end last night, could see it infront of my headlights when i was at a stand still... pulled over, checked around but couldn't see anything... Same under bonnet. Didn't smell like gearbox and also I remember when my cam cover seal leaked and wasn't the same smell... could it be brake fluid? I've looked at my brake fluid level and it's really hard to tell how much is in that, didn't unscrew it though...

Golf GTD Mk7
the reservoirs to tend to leak a bit when braking hard, but you'd notice the level dropping if the fluid is dripping onto the mani that much. Saying that, you probably wouldn't see it at the front of the car anyway.

You sure it wasn't just water on the RAD?

It could of been, hasn't done it before though and really wasn't driving that hard tbh... Gonna get it on the ramps if my mate has a free 30 minutes and see whats what.

MY10 R35 GTR
depoending on the pads, harder pads can leave deposits on the discs. This then feels similar to warped discs. Only wat to get rid is to give the brakess a really hard time for a run or 2

PH1 172 Sport
depoending on the pads, harder pads can leave deposits on the discs. This then feels similar to warped discs. Only wat to get rid is to give the brakess a really hard time for a run or 2

I think this is what is causing mine. I never really use the brakes on my way to work either which is why its not burning off. I'm not that keen on giving the brakes a hard time in the recent weather though!

Golf GTD Mk7
I think this is what is causing mine. I never really use the brakes on my way to work either which is why its not burning off. I'm not that keen on giving the brakes a hard time in the recent weather though!

That's what ABS is for ;)

I did the same lol was out gave it some serious braking, ABS seemed to kick in quite alot tbh... maybe i was just pressing a lot harder than usual.. got a very big smell of brakes lol and they seem a tad better now but i can still feel the judder and they don't feel that safe really :(

Will get them properly checked out when i get my driveshaft put on.