ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JMS RS2 before and after results

53 Clio's & counting
So many people miss the point of the RS2 its unreal.

Its not about peak power, or maximum bhp, it is about a bolt on solution that provides a far smoother power/torque curve & improved driveability, for a fast road car. For out & out power, or high revviness, fit cams instead, but dont expect much pull from low revs, when your in the wrong gear. If you have twice the money of the RS2, & are chasing out & out power, with improved driveability (& sh1t mpg), fit ITB's.

For me, i think those results are decent enough, 174-187bhp.

Not bad considering all you are really changing is the 'matched inlets' to an 'RS2 inlet' - surely proving how good Tom's design is?

My itb'd still did 40mpg ;)

Looks a nice mod, why do you think all fast and track worthy vtec lumps have vtec killer type cams... Smooth power is worth far more than peaky unusable top numbers.

A man who speaks sense, them cams are savage things that work well but sound horrible!

I'm not getting involved in the rest of the thread, there's already been a thread locked because of the trolls vs JLS Fanboys that have no idea about the product even though they've all driven an RS-2'd car. Drive one and then comment...

Lionel Richie
give me the keys to one then! has to have this on the stereo though

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lionel Richie
what is trolling? i don't do internet speak! Not driving yours then :rasp:, you have to get into character, so i need one of Tom's hats, bit of music and some car keys

Ph1
From the results and what people say it sounds an excellent design but is really worth £1200? If it was £600-700 it'd would be good value for money as £1200 just seems a bit steep to make something a bit smoother.

I'm not trolling btw it's a genuine question, mainly at ppl who don't have them fitted but have been in them or have driven them without splashing the cash on the kit.

Exhaust, induction kit and a remap will see about a grand for not much in the way of gains so against this then i reckon its worth it imo

Pretty much even with cams in terms of peak gain?

Clio Rs ph1/182 cup
i've just read all the 3ad .........and just got a simple question.......... none of you fitted the rs2 on a cammed clio to combine the benefits of the two components?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
i've just read all the 3ad .........and just got a simple question.......... none of you fitted the rs2 on a cammed clio to combine the benefits of the two components?

I dont think it has been done as yet, However Olivers cup is going in Monday for Cams and RS2.

Keep your eyes on this thread for updates -

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?489138-Ollie-s-Silver-Cup-JMS-RS2-428s-Wilwood-2118

Although I dont know when final results will be shown as Oliver will have to get up to Leeds for mapping once fitted.

Clio Rs ph1/182 cup
than let's wait the results......it should have a bit much torque in mid range with the rs2 ......also top end power should be better with the rs2 but i think differences will be only less than 10 hp ..

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
dont believe the hype.

128813702618524611.jpg

Clio 172
If you gents who don't believe any of it send me some money, I'll go get a dyno run done next week (ITG Maxogen, RS Tuner and Devil cat-back) and then go get another one after I fit and map my RS2. It's a bit f**king stupid comparing a car with previous engine mods against the RS2 and saying the gains aren't big... of course they're not.

The whole idea and appeal of it is for someone who hasn't done anything yet and wants a simple bolt on solution that'll give good gains. It might not be *that* great value for you UK folk, but for the $1500AUD this is gonna set me back it's a bargain. Getting cams fitted would cost a good $800-900aud more and ITB's well... lets not go there ($4500aud or so?)

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
If you gents who don't believe any of it send me some money, I'll go get a dyno run done next week (ITG Maxogen, RS Tuner and Devil cat-back) and then go get another one after I fit and map my RS2. It's a bit f**king stupid comparing a car with previous engine mods against the RS2 and saying the gains aren't big... of course they're not.

The whole idea and appeal of it is for someone who hasn't done anything yet and wants a simple bolt on solution that'll give good gains. It might not be *that* great value for you UK folk, but for the $1500AUD this is gonna set me back it's a bargain. Getting cams fitted would cost a good $800-900aud more and ITB's well... lets not go there ($4500aud or so?)

£4500, wtf?? TDF throttle body kit is £2500 fitted for a ph1 172. £800 more than the normal fitted price of jms inlet. ill save up the extra £800 and have serious gains and proper noise thanks.

Clio 172
£4500, wtf?? TDF throttle body kit is £2500 fitted for a ph1 172. £800 more than the normal fitted price of jms inlet. ill save up the extra £800 and have serious gains and proper noise thanks.

Out of interest (as I really have no idea, I've never bothered researching) does the TDF kit require a standalone ECU and is that inc in the 2500 pounds?

The other thing that adds to the cost of ITB's for us is the rather high cost of tuning in AUS.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
yeah the £2500 is for everything, new ecu, fitting, mapped. its what im going to get.

Clio 172 cup
This thread is a perfect example why its such a waste of money tuning a 172/182 engine

£2.5k spent to get 15-20bhp is simply shocking

You can get an extra 20bhp on some turbo engines by fitting a £5 bleed valve

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Do bare in mind the later 172's/ 182 had the cruise control fitted which for alot of owners is a nice feature. And as for "proper noise" i don't see why you feel the RS2 lacks there - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE7XBNlA__k

Yea good luck with that lasting more than 5 minutes ;)

Clio Rs ph1/182 cup
i had a turbo car in the past (punto gt)............and i thinks that turbo is for rwd or awd .......not for a fwd ......if you want to "drive" it

Clio 182 Trophy
I don't understand why people get so worked up about the RS2 :S

Because people expect big increases in power for their money, clearly deluded.

A while back there were many people who wanted the increases in power and torque you got from ITB's but were not prepared to sacrifice traction control, cruise control and removing slam panel etc, the RS2 is the answer to this and to come pretty close to these figures without ITB's shows how good the design is, which Sir_Dave stated earlier, it's just a direct replacement for the standard manifold. Now people don't seem to understand the market for the product. You can't get more power/torque for cheaper than the RS2, it is therefore a competative price, no?

Further more, the quality of workmanship is superb, with the use of quality materials and custom colours.

_1000792.jpg

_1000795.jpg

HBT 172 Cup
I might not rate the performance very well, but i cannot deny that it doesn't look smart, very swish looking product.

53 Clio's & counting
Nope. I have neither, but i have driven both extensively, & therefore feel that i can offer a balanced view on the subject.

I also understand the market that the RS2 was aimed at, ie not the ITB market. This is what 99% of people on CS miss, hence the daft arguements.

this.

the very simple mechanics are thus:

if you want more noise you get an exhaust and filter.

if you want more power/nicer drive on a standard 1*2 and dont want to comprimise any of the cars standard features then you get the rs2.

if you want even more power/noise and want the choice of going on to more power then you get itbs

if you want to challenge the uss enterprise at the lights you get a turbo or supercharger

simples.

Clio Rs ph1/182 cup
the thing is that people it's unable to appreciate 8 hp in mid range.................they only like to see Max hp 2xx .............

10 hp s at 5k rpm has more value than 10 at 7200 rpm ....if you don't believe it .....it's why you drive only in straight line ..

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
i think it looks a very nice bit of kit, haven't driven one. so im not commenting on that side of things. Its not bad money, just think of the FRP's inlet people buy 6-8bhp gain and thats around the £800-900 mark + mapping to get the proper gain. works out around the same.

Ph1
This thread is a perfect example why its such a waste of money tuning a 172/182 engine

£2.5k spent to get 15-20bhp is simply shocking

Wouldn't say it was shocking. Anything without forced induction is always going to cost more vs fewer gains but turbo's arn't the be all and end all. They have their own hurdles, lag, mpg etc etc

20 bhp up on a stock 172 / 182 and it'll be a very fun car