ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It's a bad day.

275 Trophy
Family members of 17-19 yo's choose to go with the same insurance company that is charging their offspring or similar 2,3,4 thousand? I'd of thought it would be the other way round ie, kids using the same company as parents tbh.

Do you have any satistics on the percentage of young drivers that make claims in the 1st couple of years? Huge debate indeed!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Someone I know has got one of these. My mate overtakes him and slows right down so he has to brake. Hehe.

It's a good way to get your insurance cheap though I must admit.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
I could be paying like half the amount I'm paying now come the end of my first year depending on my driving. So I'm going to go slow to make sure that I get my NCB and save myself money. You have to start of somewhere and without experience or NCB it's always going to be expensive. So I might awell get this annoying/hard part out of the way now.

172 Cup
pfarad1.gif

Problem sorted! No loss of power to the device.

Lol...tbh a 1.4 going full pelt away from the lights isnt exactly going to give dramatic G force data is it.....

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I doubt they can really use G force in a court of law tbh.

It will just monitor speed and location I imagine. I wonder if a prosecution could be based on the data from one of these tracker things? One could argue that if they were installed in everycar with a warning system, for example those GPS speed camera alert systems that tell you to slow down. If it has to warn you more than twice in 5 minutes you get an NIP drop through the door.

That would probably be a violation of some sort of law and would certainly mean no more 130 lepton runs on the way home from work for a laugh.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I could be paying like half the amount I'm paying now come the end of my first year depending on my driving. So I'm going to go slow to make sure that I get my NCB and save myself money. You have to start of somewhere and without experience or NCB it's always going to be expensive. So I might awell get this annoying/hard part out of the way now.

Why is driving well annoying or difficult?

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Why is driving well annoying or difficult?

Whut? Driving isn't annoying or difficult. I love driving with a passion, when I said "annoying/hard" I meant that about having the tracker fitted to my car. It's not exactly ideal but It's whats got to be done.

At the end of the day me having this tracker is the only way for me currently to have insurance. Unfortunatly I'm not in the position to be able to afford 5/6/7000k a year on insurance so it's my only option. I'm not to bothered, I'm willing to put up with it for 12 months.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
7k a year on insurance ?!

Do you live in Basra ?

Why do people buy Clios for first cars !? The stats are hilariously not in your favour as a yoof as the 10 threads a week on "my mortgage company won't give me enough money to pay for my car insurance".

C1 VTR (Company Car)
7k a year on insurance ?!

Do you live in Basra ?

Why do people buy Clios for first cars !? The stats are hilariously not in your favour as a yoof as the 10 threads a week on "my mortgage company won't give me enough money to pay for my car insurance".

Wrong. maybe with a RS Clio.. But my 1.4 Sport is insurance group 3e and it happens to be the lowest insurance I had seen out of any car inc' 1.0 Polo's, 1.0 Corsa's, 1.2 Punto's etc.. Standard clio's are cheap.

EDIT: Also 7k without a tracker is just the most expensive, without a tracker on my clio is about 5500k - And for an 18y/o that's about average depending on postcode etc..

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Surely a track day shouldn't count though and you could fight that because your tracker will pinpoint you location and that will be on a track so not a public road? Oh and as to insuring a young driver being a loss leader surely that is only if the driver has an accident?

Lotus Elise
I want this simply to get the phone call after the trackday. Reading will be impressive after a few laps on track rubber and ds3000s lol.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Lol at the online check up, blatantly there so the mothers of some louts (not aimed at OP at all) can check up on theirs sones driving!!

theres a huge flaw in this system imo.
The only people going for this system, will be those who are happy to drive slow. The same people who were statisticly less likely to have a crash in the first place.
people who dont like the idea of driving like a granny (like myself at that age) will opt for paying the usual premium off they go.
So overall the insurance company will take less money, and potentially have to pay out the same amount.

Personally i also think insurance is a joke. The idea of insuarnce is to spread the costs of crashes among everyone so that money can be paid out straight away from one large pot. However the companies seem to be narrowing down their statistics further and further pointing the finger so they can advertise lower prices to the masses! and this seems to be a step further in that direction.....theyve narrowed adolesant men further down to those without the trackers!!

This will only work if made mandatory for all new drivers in a genuine attempt to make them safer drivers! but until then, im just glad i dont have one! lol

LY 172
I can't believe that 4 years ago my first.year of driving the insurance was £900 on my 106. And now, it's thousands and you need a tracker to keep the price down. Seriously WTF.

I'd have hated this as a young driver!!! But as said, I'm sure it will have done some good. Ho[efully it will keep young driver premiums down and reduce accidents from a lack of experience.

1.2 16v clio
i really do feel sorry for you mate I was going to get one aswell but i ended up just going with the more expensive one since i like driving at all times and the restriction it gives you prevents it best of luck with your years driving i hope you don't speed or anything because they really see everything

C1 VTR (Company Car)
i really do feel sorry for you mate I was going to get one aswell but i ended up just going with the more expensive one since i like driving at all times and the restriction it gives you prevents it best of luck with your years driving i hope you don't speed or anything because they really see everything

It's like I said in an earlier post, unfortunatly this is the only way I can currently afford car insurance, especially as I am on an apprenticeship so I don't really have a choice. I just have to look at it as it's only for 12 months then that's it.

Audi A5
I think its a brilliant idea, basically eliminates all young drivers being tared with the same brush.

Only thing is now these are coming in you watch the premiums for people with out them shot up even more as now you have a alternative to paying higher insurance.

Ged

PD130 Peach
This would be crap for me, even on my eco trip to college down the dale road, 50 all the way, to save braking and wasting fuel accelerating i take most of the corners at a constant speed, g force = bad.... what a nightmare!

Focus ST-3
I think its a great idea. All the kids moaning about insurance being far too much etc, at least its giving them an option of cheaper policies by agreeing to not be a bellend.

I noticed when doing quotes the other day that it was an option for me to agree to have a 'box' fitted to reduce premiums.. luckily im 26 and have 6/7 years NCB so only pay about 450 insurance so its not an issue, but If i was being faced with 4k premiums then i would do it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The more I think about it, the application here is terrible.

It would naturally encourage constantly monitoring your speedo when driving with traffic, which is an arguement many have against GATSO cameras. Are there any tollerences allowed?

I like my idea where you get a warning chime if you go over the speed limit by up to 10%+2mph (GPS) and then gives you maybe 5 seconds to slow down but if you exceed the limit by over 10%+2mph then you just get an automatic ticket. It would be a reasonable way to enforce the speed limit on a grander scale, you could also impose variable speed limits a lot more effectively to prevent the consatina effect on certain roads.

But again, I would hate it if that was enforced to the point that I'd probably emigrate lol.

Focus ST-3
The more I think about it, the application here is terrible.

It would naturally encourage constantly monitoring your speedo when driving with traffic, which is an arguement many have against GATSO cameras. Are there any tollerences allowed?

I like my idea where you get a warning chime if you go over the speed limit by up to 10%+2mph (GPS) and then gives you maybe 5 seconds to slow down but if you exceed the limit by over 10%+2mph then you just get an automatic ticket. It would be a reasonable way to enforce the speed limit on a grander scale, you could also impose variable speed limits a lot more effectively to prevent the consatina effect on certain roads.

But again, I would hate it if that was enforced to the point that I'd probably emigrate lol.

I remember having a thought similar to this a while ago that combines the speed limiter and GPS. It would make for very boring driving and dangerous overtaking but it is a (very unlikely) possibility in the future.. maybe. I duno.

But the way in which sat navs can tell you the speed limit of the road your on and the speed you travelling. this could (in theory) be applied to a limiter, could it not? so say your driving through town, the GPS would know you in a 30 zone and limit you to 30 (or 10%+2) and then when you get into a higher limit the limiter is raised. I have no idea if this could be implimented or if it would even work, I remember thinking about it when zoned out on the motorway one day. I guess it would involve some techy electrics but its surely do-able right?

EDIT: and every road would need to have its speed limit noted on the GPS etc as not all have it i suppose. Its an idea that would never really happen i guess but you never know!

Last edited:
  275 Trophy
Personally i also think insurance is a joke. The idea of insuarnce is to spread the costs of crashes among everyone so that money can be paid out straight away from one large pot. However the companies seem to be narrowing down their statistics further and further pointing the finger so they can advertise lower prices to the masses! and this seems to be a step further in that direction.....theyve narrowed adolesant men further down to those without the trackers!!

Ain't this the truth!

Looks like the industry may be getting the kick up the arse it needs. There's a story on the BBC web site about the OFT investigating the car insurance industry for artifically high prices in connection (this time) to hire & curtesy car charges, but I think (hope) that their game is up. As written in the atricle, they have massively increase the premiums but without a corrisponding increase in the level of service you get with the cover. Considering it's the poor motorist who is buying the product, this seems totally wrong to me.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I did have the choice to have this but being as i work shifts so need to drive in the early hours of the morning it would actually raise the price of my insurance no matter how safely i drive. It is all a big con in my opinion

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I remember having a thought similar to this a while ago that combines the speed limiter and GPS. It would make for very boring driving and dangerous overtaking but it is a (very unlikely) possibility in the future.. maybe. I duno.

But the way in which sat navs can tell you the speed limit of the road your on and the speed you travelling. this could (in theory) be applied to a limiter, could it not? so say your driving through town, the GPS would know you in a 30 zone and limit you to 30 (or 10%+2) and then when you get into a higher limit the limiter is raised. I have no idea if this could be implimented or if it would even work, I remember thinking about it when zoned out on the motorway one day. I guess it would involve some techy electrics but its surely do-able right?

EDIT: and every road would need to have its speed limit noted on the GPS etc as not all have it i suppose. Its an idea that would never really happen i guess but you never know!

Leeds uni trialled this ages ago, using Skodas iirc.

Never heard any more about it though.

I didn't pay 2k insurance when I was 17 to drive like a saint. If you never have any near misses or lose control of the car you will never learn how to respond when an emergency may occur. IMO crashing was the best thing I did in terms of driving.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't pay 2k insurance when I was 17 to drive like a saint. If you never have any near misses or lose control of the car you will never learn how to respond when an emergency may occur. IMO crashing was the best thing I did in terms of driving.

I'm sure your insurance company agreed and instantly halved your insurance.

It's like people complaining when TPB got shut down. You can only really have a problem with it if you break the law. For people who abide by the law, it doesn't matter if they have a box in their car.

Ph2 172

Fool

It's not the price thing but I learned a lot from crashing and I think anyone that has will have taken something away from it. Even if they stay an extra metre further away from the car in front now... Financially it cost me the price of my car and getting a new one but I would rather do that than claim.