ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It's a bad day.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Just had my insurance tracker fitted to my car. So that's it, I have to drive like a saint for a year otherwise it's going to cost me a bomb.

Not that I don't drive like a saint anyway... :eek:

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Often g forces and data on acceleration and braking forces. So yup fit one and drive like miss daisy

BMW 123d/Rover Metro
What insurance company have you gone with? And how much have you saved if you don't mind me asking?

C1 VTR (Company Car)
What insurance company have you gone with? And how much have you saved if you don't mind me asking?

I'm with Co-op Young Driver insurance. I'm only going to be with them for the first year.

I've actually saved myself about £3000-£4000 by having this stupid tracker fitted. But after I get myself 1 year NCB it'll be about 1600 standard insurance based on quotes I'm getting now.

Please do a trackday in it and report back what happens :)

LOL! I wouldn't be insured afterwards :approve:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yep that sounds like a brilliant idea. It's the compulsary tracker fitted to all cars that I don't like the idea of (because it would mean I'd have one lol).

Where is the transmitter, and does it have it's own power supply or does it run from the car battery?

C1 VTR (Company Car)
It sucks but it sounds like a good scheme.

It does suck greatly, but there is no way I could afford any car insurance without the tracker, especially considering I am currently on apprentice *slave labour* pay.

Where is the transmitter, and does it have it's own power supply or does it run from the car battery?

He fitted it in my passenger footwell and it runs of the battery as far as I am aware.

Black 200
That's mental.

Please do a trackday in it and report back what happens :)

Haha, this would be hilarious... until you had to pay the bill.

I wonder what would happen if you just unplugged it, maybe they'd just think the car wasn't being driven. Thoughts?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Well as easy as it sounds to fiddle, I presume if you were to have an accident where it wasn't active, there would be an investigation into whether there was a tracker fault or whether it was tampered with before any payments would be made..

I think these are a brilliant idea. I'd have hated it when I was a teenager but it might have done some good. I didn't actually have an accident as a new driver but it wasn't through the lack of trying. Pure luck.

These things help in a few ways - Calm down new drivers, reduce premiums for new drivers and maybe even reduce premiums for the rest of us?

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Haha, this would be hilarious... until you had to pay the bill.

I wonder what would happen if you just unplugged it, maybe they'd just think the car wasn't being driven. Thoughts?

They would just send me a message with an immediate cancelation of my policy haha!

And with regards to unplug it I'm sure they would have fitted a fail safe method such as a battery maybe so they would know it had been unplugged. I've had many suggestions of what to do with it, my favourite being "Just stick a magnet to it.." haha :rasp:

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I think these are a brilliant idea. I'd have hated it when I was a teenager but it might have done some good. I didn't actually have an accident as a new driver but it wasn't through the lack of trying. Pure luck.

These things help in a few ways - Calm down new drivers, reduce premiums for new drivers and maybe even reduce premiums for the rest of us?

Sounds the same as me mate, it was luck not judgement that stopped me having a smash in the first couple of years!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
So does the price vary then? If you brake hard they add a bit to the bill sort of thing.

What if you brake because a deer runs infront of you?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'd hate that but if it stops young morons driving like idiots and crashing then it is a worth while scheme.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Just disconnect the speedo

That would only be usefull if I had a 100% fullproof way of disconnecting the tracker secretly, but it's just not worth the risk because knowing my luck id disconnec it then write the car off! I'm happy to just stick with it for the first year. I'm just happy to be driving atm considering I've been waiting to do so for the past 15 years. :)

C1 VTR (Company Car)
So does the price vary then? If you brake hard they add a bit to the bill sort of thing.

What if you brake because a deer runs infront of you?

It's quite good actually you get an online driver dashboard to see how you've beend driving and they monitor you over 90 day periods. So after my first 90 day period if my driving is classed as "Excellent" then my premium drops 15% and then so on and so forth.

What if you do a track day?

My car isn't worth doing a track day in, it's only a standard Clio 1.4, don't be fooled by its 'sport' title ;)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
But if your driving is classed as bad what happens? The premium goes up?

Don't like the sound of this at all tbh.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
My car isn't worth doing a track day in, it's only a standard Clio 1.4, don't be fooled by its 'sport' title ;)

But as track days aren't covered by your insurance if you ever did one would you be charged more by the insurance company even though you weren't covered at the time?

C1 VTR (Company Car)
But if your driving is classed as bad what happens? The premium goes up?

Don't like the sound of this at all tbh.

Yeah if a drive like a nut job then they will increase it, I don't drive like that anyway, I don't quite see the point really in my car.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
But as track days aren't covered by your insurance if you ever did one would you be charged more by the insurance company even though you weren't covered at the time?

I guess so because the readings from my tracker would just show dangerous driving.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
What happens if you sell the car, can you change it from one vehicle to another?

Or do they just disable the old and you have to pay for a new one to be fitted?

Harsh but I'm guessing you don't drive anything remotely fast so there shouldn't be the urge to floor it. For example if you had a 182 it would be torture but must be a ball ache still.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Harsh but I'm guessing you don't drive anything remotely fast so there shouldn't be the urge to floor it. For example if you had a 182 it would be torture but must be a ball ache still.

Very true, I have a 1.4 Sport, It's quite nippy but nothing special. lol

Iceberg Clio 172
I wonder if these will ever become compulsory to young drivers? or something similar whereby the driver gets charged/fined for driving erratically? probably reduce young driver deaths tbh. glad I haven't got one though :p

275 Trophy
Just another way of the insurance companies screwing us motorists over. They know young people will pay these silly high premiums so what's the chance that even with these fitted, in the next few years they creep the prices back up to where they are now without the tracker fitted?

The law says you can drive at 17. Insurance compaines say (to all intents and purposes) that you can't. To me that's not right or even democratic.

MR2 Mk1.5
Just another way of the insurance companies screwing us motorists over. They know young people will pay these silly high premiums so what's the chance that even with these fitted, in the next few years they creep the prices back up to where they are now without the tracker fitted?

The law says you can drive at 17. Insurance compaines say (to all intents and purposes) that you can't. To me that's not right or even democratic.

It's a huge debate but one thing you may be missing is that most companies that sell to 17-19 years olds do so as a loss leader, eg they make no money from this age bracket but pick up business elsewhere (eg family members).

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Seems a good idea. It's not compulsory, I wouldn't have one but it addresses the usual arguments of "why don't insurance companies treat me as an individual", "I'm a good driver", "not all young drivers are bad drivers" etc. Here's the chance to prove it.