ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It wont start :(

Fiat Panda 100hp
The car has been stood out on the road for about 36hrs and with all this snow I think its gone cold.

It wont start, just keeps turning over....dont want to do it that much incase the battery goes dead too.

Anyone got any pointers?

Fiat Panda 100hp
I would, but my street has cars either side and with the snow etc I dont fancy pushing it, then if someone comes down the road im screwed lol.

Will it be ok once its started up?

I would, but my street has cars either side and with the snow etc I dont fancy pushing it, then if someone comes down the road im screwed lol.

Will it be ok once its started up?

once you get it running , give it a good run .

if you get problems therafter you can re-evaluate .

Fiat Panda 100hp
I did a jump start and it got going then I put the power on to keep it going and it died. Now the battery is dead :(

Fiat Panda 100hp
how olds the battery? cold/winter kills batterys

erm...dunno, I have had the car a year and dont know when it was put in, looks in decent condidtion, got my sub etc hooked up thou, but surely if the battery was dead then the wipers etc wudnt come on?

Fiat Panda 100hp
Update...

I got the car to start, but it is kicking out alot of smoke, and then when I tried to pull foward a few metres it stalled.

I dont know whether there is something wrong with it or whether it just needs running in, and the smoke is infact water etc from the cold and snow, what do my fellow CS'ers think?

Know its too late now, but if your car has a cat on it DON"T bump start it as this can cause damage to the cat. Better off with a jump off another car

Fiat Panda 100hp
Know its too late now, but if your car has a cat on it DON"T bump start it as this can cause damage to the cat. Better off with a jump off another car

I think I would have noticed a cat on the car lol...seriously, whats a cat?

Erm the smoke is a grey colour, looks abit like steam, fingers crossed it is just the condensation.

Erm the smoke is a grey colour, looks abit like steam, fingers crossed it is just the condensation.

he was on about damaging the catalytic converter

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
What was the turn over like? Was it quite quick or did it seem a little slow and sluggish? Also, the reason it may have died when you pulled forward is, the auto choke may have got stuck due to the cold and damp weather and may not be working properly. (We have this problem with our 13 year old 1.2). Try running it for abit whilst standing still to warm her up a little before you pull away. Hopefully once she is warm the gery smoke will vanish. It really does sound like an auto choke problem to me as the symptoms are exactly the same as ours. It's something else to consider anyway.

Aye, what kully said, basically iirc, when you bump start a car unburnt fuel is pushed through the system and into the catalytic converter (not poor Mrs Smiths ginger tom ;) ) this unburnt fuel can then cause damage and you end up needing a new cat.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +

Aye, what kully said, basically iirc, when you bump start a car unburnt fuel is pushed through the system and into the catalytic converter (not poor Mrs Smiths ginger tom ;) ) this unburnt fuel can then cause damage and you end up needing a new cat.

Yep, or at the least makes it smell really bad, just like mine when the coils went, smelt reallt bad for a couple of days or so.

The bad smell would be from the cat , but it's sometimes caused by plugs or leads breaking down .

the problem at the moment imo is the battery not keeping it's charge , the weather is damp atm so , try again in dry conditions .

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
The bad smell would be from the cat , but it's sometimes caused by plugs or leads breaking down .

the problem at the moment imo is the battery not keeping it's charge , the weather is damp atm so , try again in dry conditions .

Yeah, the battery was the reason I was asking about the turn over. I had to replace my battery a few weeks back as the turn over got really slow and sometimes almost refused to start. The battery was only just 3 years old too.

I can't see why the car would die when pulling forwards with just a duff battery though. Once you get them started they normally carry on running. You can normally get a free battery check at you local car spares place. So that's easy enough to check anyway.

If the battery not givin enough juice to the starter motor , it will struggle to start , though the dampness isn't helping as could be just that ( moisture on electrics )

Fiat Panda 100hp
thanks guys & gals, the sun has come out now, and the snow has all gone, so I will try it later when its a little dryer.

This car has given me know end of trouble, my £400 clio 1.2 was much more reliable, I never had a problem with that car :(

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Have you changed the leads and plugs since you've had the car? If not, it may be worth doing that. Old plugs and leads can cause no end of problems especially in poor weather.

Fiat Panda 100hp
No havnt changed them, I have no money :( I cant afford this.

£100 for a CAT, how much to fit do you think kully?

its probably not your cat .....40 quid fitting i'd say ..... get it checked properly if you're not sure m8 :eek: ....battery and leads/plugs 1st

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +

its probably not your cat .....40 quid fitting i'd say ..... get it checked properly if you're not sure m8 :eek: ....battery and leads/plugs 1st

I agree, don't reckon it's the cat. Definitely get the battery checked and see if you can get some cash to do those leads and plugs.

R

Rachel Anne

iv got an idea my old clio used to do that, try putting your foot on accelerator before you start it hold it down while you turn on the ignition, it may turn over a couple of times, if it doesn't start first time, try again, switch your key back to off, put foot on accelerator again it should start! Rachel