ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IT Support Role

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I'm looking to get in to IT Support.

I know a bit about pcs bit obviously need some qualifications.

What's best to start with?

Depends what sector you want to go for.

And what current qualifications / knowledge you have to build on, or if you are starting completely from scratch.

I have a 3rd in physics from 1998 but never used it.

I know a bit about pcs being able to build them and stuff.

Just basically want to get my foot in the door anywhere and work up. I will redundancy money soon to cushion a pay cut.

I'm enthusiastic if that's any help! I'd like to get into installation and bit of networking stuff. I just feel I'm not good at many things but I can do some pc stuff and can learn.

A3 1.8T
Just starting a networking role my self, i have no qualifications apart form a GCSE in I.T and will be earning between 14.5K and 16K a year, plus get travelling expenses back etc. I think done fairly well there and a lot of training will be offered to progress. Would think doing it that way (trainign at work) is better than the uni way as you get real hands on experience as well?

Just starting a networking role my self, i have no qualifications apart form a GCSE in I.T and will be earning between 14.5K and 16K a year, plus get travelling expenses back etc. I think done fairly well there and a lot of training will be offered to progress. Would think doing it that way (trainign at work) is better than the uni way as you get real hands on experience as well?

i started on 11.5k in march 99 now on 24.5 so not doing too bad but i will always want more

Octavia VRS
Well, fair enough, but you have got some fat experience. !

I went to uni and wish I did what you had done instead, but then I would most likely be sick and tired like you :)

IT is an over saturated market and most of the people are geeks and sooooooooooooooooooo clever! Which makes it bloody hard to compete with.

Definitely know where you're coming from!

Ive been working in IT since i was 17, only qualification ive got is an HNC in computing, ive found it far more beneficial working my way up rather than going to do more college or Uni work because you get a lot more experience of different systems and how different IT depts work etc etc. Dont get me wrong the first 2 years i was working in sh1tty IT call centres before i got a hands on IT job because i 'had no experience'.

Octavia VRS
where you work about Davey?

I remember applying for a job at Sun Microsystems in Linlithgow after I had graduated from uni. Wage was 14k!

cock mobile.
IT is an over saturated market and most of the people are geeks and sooooooooooooooooooo clever! Which makes it bloody hard to compete with.

It's easier to compete with geeks imo.

Geeks are great at doing a job, coding, etc, but useless at anything else.

This is how I sell myself, I'm not a hardcore geek (just half one) and never will be.

IT Support is sitting between that role, but it really depends on what/who you are supporting.

Octavia VRS

It's easier to compete with geeks imo.

Geeks are great at doing a job, coding, etc, but useless at anything else.

This is how I sell myself, I'm not a hardcore geek (just half one) and never will be.

IT Support is sitting between that role, but it really depends on what/who you are supporting.

Also geeks have no people skills. If they have coded successfully they are on a high, if they haven't they're a 'mare to work with!

Nah its based at Kirkton Campus just down the road from West Calder is it not? They have a couple of places there and one in Dundee, go up there a couple of times a week normally.

Rav4
Well, I am good with people, don't get angry like McBunny here, but my IT skills are limited, not because I cannot do the stuff, but because the other IT guys here find it hard with clients, so I end up speaking to them and making sure all is good, do all the purchasing and stuff like that, but when I want to do the hardcore IT I don't as they have over taken the role.

I can achieve virtually anything, I will never be an excellent coder, in fact, I wish I was excellent at one thing so I could focuss and do well.

I believe anyone can do any role, just need to apply yourself, but it does help if you are backed up by others.

I think IT is a good sector, but so is anything else.

My ideal job would be a p**n star but I am far too tiny :rasp:

SLK 350
Work on 3rd line in an analyst/infrastructure. I started first line from graduating in April last year on 18.5k (midlands) and now doing 3rd line for 25k.

I work for a publishing company and frankly is a very cushy job indeed, get to do as I please for the most part and it's a very flexible job. However my future lies in London so currently if my current employer won't move me to the London office, I shall be looking to find a new job - typically in London I could be earning 28k-38k, obviously relative to living cost mind.

cock mobile.
Depends what sector you want to go for.

And what current qualifications / knowledge you have to build on, or if you are starting completely from scratch.

I have a 3rd in physics from 1998 but never used it.

I know a bit about pcs being able to build them and stuff.

Just basically want to get my foot in the door anywhere and work up. I will redundancy money soon to cushion a pay cut.

I'm enthusiastic if that's any help! I'd like to get into installation and bit of networking stuff. I just feel I'm not good at many things but I can do some pc stuff and can learn.

Go either with MCPs or a Cisco qualification then I'd say, depending on what sort of job you're after.

Why not have a look at go job site and see what they are asking for from the jobs you like the sound of :)

Hoff: How people live in London on 30k is beyond me, frac that!

SLK 350
30K in most of London is fine considering you don't have the costs of needing a car etc.

My Mrs manages fine on 28K in Balham/Tooting Bec and that's paying £600 a month on rent too. Depends how lavish your lifestyle is, but I think 30K is adequate in London.

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
30K in most of London is fine considering you don't have the costs of needing a car etc.

My Mrs manages fine on 28K in Balham/Tooting Bec and that's paying £600 a month on rent too. Depends how lavish your lifestyle is, but I think 30K is adequate in London.

Yep. London Is The Place to be!

The Money is much better down here

Lee

BMW M2C
I can't see how anyone can survive on £30k in London. I clear that easily working in Brum, I live in Staffordshire which is relatively cheap and still want more cash!!

I looked at working for Sony at one point. Even with a massive pay rise I couldn't have moved down there.

cock mobile.
I can't see how anyone can survive on £30k in London. I clear that easily working in Brum, I live in Staffordshire which is relatively cheap and still want more cash!!

I looked at working for Sony at one point. Even with a massive pay rise I couldn't have moved down there.

Indeed.

The problem is I have it too good where I live (Northants) cheap housing and living costs etc.

Would really need double my pay to live the same in London, and yes money is better in the City, but no way doubly better than my current rate.

But you live differently, like you say Hoff you wouldn't need, nor afford a car really lol.

Civic Si
im currently working a 1st line/2nd line role. pay's between 20-23k but then i am supporting 3,500-4,000 users!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I'm on a lot of money where I am, but I work for a MASSIVE company and support around 20 servers and 200-300 users depending on what's going on.

That's not that many :p

At my place support will get you a starting salary of 19k up to 29k, then the senior support guys will be 31k+. That's not too bad for a place down here in Devon/Cornwall, could always be better though :) Don't think I could move up to London though.

On my team we support a load of sites around 2 counties with 1500+ users, 1600 pcs (mixtures of lappys and desktops), all printers/faxes, phone system, networks up to the switch (i.e. patching etc), citrix servers, sms servers (got about 50 odd of those buggers alone), print servers, 300 PDAs, mobile computing servers, blackberry servers plus a whole load of project work. Great :(

Day to day stuff is spread out, we do 1st + 2nd line, plus requests for new kit/systems, and a lot of project work. I'd say it's a much wider scope than your average "desktop support" team. Although I use the term desktop support loosly lol.

But whilst some don't really like us most of the company are ok with us as we are nice :) I even got a bottle of wine from one of the directors today (who historically hates the IT dept) thanking me for a really small job I did for him :)

Last edited:
  C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
The Boss Wants me to take on the following courses -

BTEC HNC BIT
BTEC HND Computer Studies
CCNA

Are These Any good?

BTEC HNC BIT
CCNA

Are These Any good?

CCNA is really good to get if they are going to pay for it. You can get a good network type job without any trouble if you have that.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
Gabi...i haven't receieved any of your pms?

I have 3 messages - 1 inbox, 2outbox.

i've sent "Daz" an PM asking him to put you in contact with me as when i try sending messages it says "You have to wait 15seconds before sending another message" or something silly

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
Dair,

CCNA mate, that will be excellent for you!

BTEC HNC BIT
CCNA

Are These Any good?

Cool!!

Im searching through all of the London unis to find those courses. Ive found the BTEC HNC BIT course, based @ London South Bank :) but it looks as though they dont offer the BTEC HND Computer studies course :( . I need to find a uni in london that teaches at least 2 of the courses listed!

Rav4
Buddy, I have an HND in Computing and a BSC with Honors in Computing, I would go for the CCNA!!! That without a doubt is the one to do.

If you find a college near London towards kingston or so, I will do the course with you!!

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio
Buddy, I have an HND in Computing and a BSC with Honors in Computing, I would go for the CCNA!!! That without a doubt is the one to do.

If you find a college near London towards kingston or so, I will do the course with you!!

That would be great but kingston is a lil to far. i live in North London lol!!!!