ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Issues

Partner's Astra SRi
My poor car is slowly but surely falling to bits.

I need a new steering rack and both front and back brakes are making terrible noises (yet are still functioning well and passed on the MOT).

So, any ideas how much a new steering rack is roughly going to cost me. Plus (I'm guessing) new brakes for the front and back?

Thanks

PH1 V6
the brakes may well just be the pads that need replacing unless bearings have gone in the back ones. If they are functioning well then i would be suspisous of anyone who says it all needs replacing. The brakes fortunately arent too expensive and i would be surprised if you need to replace ALL discs and pads. Have a look at the front discs... if they dont look worn then only the pads will need doing. The backs have bearings in them and may need doing but a complete rear brake kit including pads is around £120 depending on what you go for.

Steering rack im not too up to speed with but try find a second hand one and i dont think they are any more than about £50.

PH1 V6
actually i have just realised.... if its a 1.2 which you have (says on your avatar) then the backs are drums and are even cheaper.

Partner's Astra SRi
The pads are fine and the discs are too so I've no idea what's wrong. Wheels bearings were replaced in September so it's not those (plus the noise only happens when I brake). I wanted to say drums for the back but I don't want to sound like a girl if I was wrong ;)

The front make a noise like somethings catching and it rumbles through the brake pedal. The back are making a grinding noise. The guy who looked at my car in September said there was nothing wrong with the brakes...hmmm.

I wish I could just buy a new car...but I'm unemployed and have very little to my name right now. (Parent's are going to pay for the fixes to my car).

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
some places do reconditions steering racks or they do around here, the griding back brakes probably just need stripped out cleaned up, brake dust collects in the drum and causes a grinding type sound...

what kind of sound are the fronts making?

Partner's Astra SRi
It vibrates the pedal, no dash lights though. I'm not really sure how to describe the sound...I've never had my ABS kick in before but it could be that... :S

Will have to see if I can get my wheels off to clean the drums up...never done anything like that before.

Lionel Richie
new rack on a 1.2 16V, i can do a recon one (i run one on my track car, its spot on) is about £130 from memory (don't quote me on that though, i might be off a bit) only takes about an hour to fit too, easy on the 1.2 16V's

Partner's Astra SRi
is it a quick judder type feeling in the pedal?

Yeah, that's it exactly and it makes a juddery noise to go with it.

Thanks Fred will pass on the approximate cost to my parents (thank god for them or I wouldn't be able to get it fixed at all!!)

Lauren that's (almost) definitley ABS related, get the front wheels off and check the condition of the rings by turning the brake disc around. Check the sensors aren't dirty and that there's no sticky grease from a CV joint anywhere.

Titanium 182
As if you don't know what abs feels/sounds like man. Aren't they supposed to teach this stuff in driving lessons >_<

Partner's Astra SRi
As if you don't know what abs feels/sounds like man. Aren't they supposed to teach this stuff in driving lessons >_<

Ok so I know what ABS feels/sounds like but I wasn't thinking that is what it'd be because I am not braking sharply when this happens. I am just braking normally. ABS shouldn't kick in every single time I brake right?

ABS for sure, unless you're describing it all wrong.

I haven't really described the sound because I'm not sure how to. But it is a juddery sort of sound and I can feel it through the pedal.

She's a woman, it'll probably be a test. Talking in riddles and all that jazz.

Lol, I'm after some advice. I don't think I've spoken in any riddles.

Disagree I'd say siezed caliper

I never know if you're being serious, especially considering the last couple of posters in this thread.

Anyway, I haven't been able to look at the brakes yet and as I'm away over the weekend and then starting a new job, I've booked it in with the family friend's garage for Wednesday. So we'll soon see.

The only way I have ever accomplished that exact set of symptoms is "warped" disc on the front. Happened on a relatively fresh disc as well. It was a seized caliper that led to the disc overheating, but that's another story..

If it turns out to the the discs and you have plenty of material left, you might be able to take them to a machine show for fixing.

Bear in mind that "warped" discs can be mechanically straight, so rotating the wheel by hand and listening for uneven drag noise, or similar method, might not be a reliable indicator.