ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is Trophy really much better than 182 FF with CUP packs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
The best car to have is a 182FF with tweaked freshened suspension, get it cammed and mapped then it's the quickest and most comfortable version of a 172/182... simples! :D The ground you'd gain on straights against a Trophy would cancel out the marginal more capable handling of the Trophy and you can do it all in comfort! :D

Ah, the good old modified vs standard debate. You're also making out a 182 with half leather seats and climate control as the height of luxury. Lol.

RB 182 FF
Ah, the good old modified vs standard debate. You're also making out a 182 with half leather seats and climate control as the height of luxury. Lol.

I've had a few sports cars and the Clio is by far the most comfortable luxurious place to sit! Comfy half leather seats, cruise control and air con and climate, auto lights and wipers.. what more do you want and need!! I did a 3700 mile euro trip last year in 2 weeks and couldn't have have a better all round car to do it in! :D Buy a tidy 182FF for 2.5k, cam it, tweak it and get it how you want it and that = awesome car! :D

clio 182 sport
I've had a few sports cars and the Clio is by far the most comfortable luxurious place to sit! Comfy half leather seats, cruise control and air con and climate, auto lights and wipers.. what more do you want and need!! I did a 3700 mile euro trip last year in 2 weeks and couldn't have have a better all round car to do it in! :D Buy a tidy 182FF for 2.5k, cam it, tweak it and get it how you want it and that = awesome car! :D

This is my set up ATM and I can think of loads of sports cars that would be better than this lol, not for under 4K tho.

RB 182 FF
This is my set up ATM and I can think of loads of sports cars that would be better than this lol, not for under 4K tho.

Yeah exactly a 4k car, there isn't much better all round cheap to run, good performance cars out there anywhere... but if you ignore the £££ budget I'll have a 458 Spider please!!! :D

M2 Comp
for what it's worth - the smaller steering wheel and harnesses really took the trophy to a new level for me, it's b-road capability is stunning!

Really fancy doing both of these things to mine!

Is it possible to fit the harnesses and retain the rear seats still?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
The best car to have is a 182FF with tweaked freshened suspension, get it cammed and mapped then it's the quickest and most comfortable version of a 172/182... simples! :D The ground you'd gain on straights against a Trophy would cancel out the marginal more capable handling of the Trophy and you can do it all in comfort! :D

Cams dont make the car 10 times faster than standard.

To really notice the difference your going to need 2 good drivers going hell for leather round some proper twisties.

Oh, and then what happens if the trophy has cams?

You can not compare a cammed 182 to a standard trophy.

WRX
I'd put money on the majority of drivers wouldn't be able to tell the difference, between any of them whilst driving. (If you take away the clues that you could see from inside)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You can not compare a cammed 182 to a standard trophy.

You can in terms of what both cost you.

If you have say 4K to spend, he is arguing that you get a better performing car for 4K from a non trophy than from a trophy.

Although you get a more depreciating one too of course, so its not clear cut!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
You can in terms of what both cost you.

If you have say 4K to spend, he is arguing that you get a better performing car for 4K from a non trophy than from a trophy.

Although you get a more depreciating one too of course, so its not clear cut!
Nail. Head.

How much would a cammed FF 182 be worth after 3-5 years vs a standard Trophy?

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nail. Head.

How much would a cammed FF 182 be worth after 3-5 years vs a standard Trophy?

You dont have to wait 3-5 years.

On monday buy a 4K trophy, and assuming you bought at a fair price on tuesday its worth 4K still.

On monday buy a 2K 182, spend 2k on cams/fitting/mapping/exhaust etc, and on tuesday you have a car worth 2.5K probably

It doesn't cost "nothing" to develop a car like the 172Cup.

Anyone who thinks it does, is doing so from the viewpoint of themselves getting the grinder out in their workshop. Actually developing a car for sale, costs far from "nothing" no matter how trivial some "experts" might think the changes are from another model.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It doesn't cost "nothing" to develop a car like the 172Cup.

Anyone who thinks it does, is doing so from the viewpoint of themselves getting the grinder out in their workshop. Actually developing a car for sale, costs far from "nothing"

Has anyone said it cost "nothing" to actually "develop"?

Anything a manufacturere does will have costs, it cost money to decide to only paint the trophy red for example, in fact it probably involved far more people than any of us would realise, and on huge hourly rates at that, in order to just make that decision.

But in terms of actual production costs after those decisions have been made for the cup versus the normal 172, those are in fact lower than nothing of course.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes. You can feed the 3rd point to the isofix bar through the rear seats. This is what I did on my trendines and 3 point harnesses.

Are the reclining trendlines (as opposed to the fixed back ones in an evo etc) actually strong enough to be safe for use with a harness going through them?

Im not sure if the mechanism would give way and allow the back to drop downwards, thus releasing the harnesses grip on the occupant and hence allowing them to move forwards in a crash situation.

I personally would feel safer in a normal seatbelt that doesnt put that sort of enormous downwards load through the seat, but obviously if the seats HAVE been tested for that use then I am incorrect to do so, so it would be interesting to see some crash test results with harnesses for those seats if any exist?

No Chip, you said the upgrades cost nothing in post 115, but you've now moved the goal posts and added "develop" in a thin attempt to realign your argument.

Lol.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. You can feed the 3rd point to the isofix bar through the rear seats. This is what I did on my trendines and 3 point harnesses.

It's not the safest way of doing it though, is it? Isn't the angle far too great and will result in spine compression in an accident?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No Chip, you said the upgrades cost nothing in post 115, but you've now moved the goal posts and added "develop" in a thin attempt to realign your argument.

Lol.

Thanks for the added detail, yes ALL decisions that a car manufacturer makes cost money, when I said "all they had to do was drill a hole in a different place" I assumed that people would realise someone was paid an hourly rate while making that decision to drill a hole in a different place etc (and the tests that formed part of that decision), but its useful you pointing that out in case anyone wasnt aware of how these things work :)

As you point out, time IS money when it comes to the manufacturers.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
The arguement is not about modified cats though, is it? Its a 182 with cup packs Vs A trophy. So you cant say a 182 ff with cams would be better than a standard trophy.

If thats the case then a turbo'd trophy is better than a cammed FF... could go on and on all day!

clio 182 sport
The arguement is not about modified cats though, is it? Its a 182 with cup packs Vs A trophy. So you cant say a 182 ff with cams would be better than a standard trophy.

If thats the case then a turbo'd trophy is better than a cammed FF... could go on and on all day!

How do you modify a cat?! ;)

A turbo trophy would cost about 3 times more than a cammed FF clio, that's the point.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Having been on track numerous times over the years in 99% standard Trophy's, i can safely say that cammed/ITB'd/stripped 1*2's didnt tend to trouble me.

Im sure Sam@BTM would say similar.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Having been on track numerous times over the years in 99% standard Trophy's, i can safely say that cammed/ITB'd/stripped 1*2's didnt tend to trouble me.

I dont remember "troubling" you at bedford in our Ph2 but I do remember passing you easily. But I guess that being passed is something different to being troubled?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I think the question is "what do I spent my money on" rather than "which is the better standard car"

And it wont ever have one response, as people like me who are most interested in how the car drives will say spend the money modifying a standard one and it will drive better, and people like Dave who are most interested in residual value will spend the money on a standard trophy.

Titanium 182
Just get the trophy lol
Chip looks into things way too much; we are not all track heroes’ dude :rasp:

I've ran a 182 cup, 182 FF with cup pack and then the trophy.

Trophy turns in handles better than a 182 cup, looks better than a 182 and most of all it gives you the biggest smile on your face with it capability’s.

Am on the lookout for another one as I am struggling to find a replacement :lolup:

Inferno 182 & Saxo
:rasp:

I've ran a 182 cup, 182 FF with cup pack and then the trophy.

Trophy turns in handles better than a 182 cup, looks better than a 182 and most of all it gives you the biggest smile on your face with it capability’s.

I would agree with above apart from it looks better, it looks like any other 1*2 just in red!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes but this thread has nothing to do with cost...

Its comparing a 182 FF and a trophy, no where in the OP does it say about price? Or am i missing something.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

Pretty sure mine troubled you a bit ;)

Lionel Richie

Aye but Sam is quite handy, but then so are you ;)

You do get all the gear, no idea on track days, i went round the outside of a lambo superleggera through oldhall @ Oulton Park once, true story LOL!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You were in your TURBO'd PH1 clio when you went past me iirc, which isnt really surprising lol.

I wasnt really referring to that f*cked thing anyways, more the ShedTrophy.

No I was in the Turbo when I went past you massively quickly, in the non turbo ph2 I still passed you but with less of a speed differential. ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes but this thread has nothing to do with cost...

Its comparing a 182 FF and a trophy, no where in the OP does it say about price? Or am i missing something.

When people are looking to buy, its quite rare that cost ISNT an issue?

Unless the OP is Mark Zuckerberg? lol

Money is something to compare them by certainly - IMO the trophy is not worth the premium over a FF182 for road use (which lets face it, is how most of these cars are used)

As such - I would say that it isn't much better

Status
Not open for further replies.