ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this worth buying? a 1.7 turbo'd volvo engined clio?

Valver
Only 130bhp :S sounds like its gnna be a nightmare to wire up, cant see the insurance looking too kindly on it either! might as well get a 1*2

S2000
Tbh thats the worst idea for an engine conversione ever, why you would want to put that engine in a mk2 I would never know.

SLK 350
Volvo conversions are good, end.

However what the f**k are they doing with that ICE, that's a f**king joke!

I have never understood why people put old engines in more modern cars. yes the volvo 1.7 turbo engine is good in a mk1, but not a mk2, especially as VAG 1.8t engines would be almsot as esy to drop in and much more tuneable

audi a3 1.8t sport
Tbh thats the worst idea for an engine conversione ever, why you would want to put that engine in a mk2 I would never know.

agreed dude must be off his head :eek:

vw 1.8t or even a 1.4 r5turbo lump before that volvo sh ite
the day that your 172 is quiker than my mk1 is the day i agree with you and the 5 turbo motor has got to be one of the worst engines ever made

S2000
agreed dude must be off his head :eek:

vw 1.8t or even a 1.4 r5turbo lump before that volvo sh ite
the day that your 172 is quiker than my mk1 is the day i agree with you and the 5 turbo motor has got to be one of the worst engines ever made

Just to note that my comment was about the fact that it was put in a Mk2 clio. In a Mk1 I don't have much against it, though tbh I would go for a williams/R5 turbo engine over it but thats just my personal preference as I am just going by what I've read about lack of tuning options for the turbo lump.

You must agree that in a Mk2 its a bit of a s**t idea considering for an easier and possibly cheaper conversion he could put a 172 engine in there and have 170bhp NA rather than 130bhp from a turbo?

The engine old technologue but its a long long way from worst engine its very good. Cheap owners who want hp cheaply are the problem the engine have.
I am just going by what I've read about lack of tuning options for the turbo lump.

You must agree that in a Mk2 its a bit of a s**t idea considering for an easier and possibly cheaper conversion he could put a 172 engine in there and have 170bhp NA rather than 130bhp from a turbo?
The engine has tunning potential.

Maybe he was gonna tune it after all turno is easier p,us might have been cheaper to buy also get to have a dump valves which many owners want or maybe limited CC wise on insurance.

j plate 91 449 valver,
i saw that same car on ebay weks ago. aparently he seemes to be having trouble selling it, but now he has ended the auction early so.... sorry if this is really naieve but what is a 1*2 engine? i have a 1.2 mk1 and might be interested in changing the engine.

audi a3 1.8t sport

Just to note that my comment was about the fact that it was put in a Mk2 clio. In a Mk1 I don't have much against it, though tbh I would go for a williams/R5 turbo engine over it but thats just my personal preference as I am just going by what I've read about lack of tuning options for the turbo lump.

there is as much tuning to be had as any other engine you just have to know were to look i got mine to 170hp from a £50 mod to the ecu now thats cheap modding plus the standared volvo motor was build for fuel econimy not performance so it only has a low comp turbo on it that runs 4psi as standard.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
i never see the point of 172 engine conversions you might as well buy a 172

the r5 engine is ok if built/tuned properley and is looked after

i bet he got that volvo engine for peanuts and it virtually dropped straight in. wouldnt take much time to get the wiring sorted. seems a cheap conversation to me although i agree the engine is old technology and whats 130bhp these days

the 1.7 volvo turbo lump is a renault engine anyway lol.

It appearing in non turbo form in the Renault 5 GTX.

To say the C1J 1.4 8v turbo is the worst engine of all time though........stop smoking crack and drive some ladas.

I don't see many hot hatches running 11s on a 1.4 8v other than a 5 gt turbo.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
ask how many 5 turbo owners have done headgaskets and cylinder liner seals and see if they agree.

the 1.7 is a renault which is an f type. used in 5,9,11,19 and 21 in non turbo form. Later used again in 1.8/2.0 in laguna etc. renault must have done a deal with volvo because in exchange renault used a volve engine that renault called an n7q and was a non turbo variant of the engine used in a t5. it was in laguna as a 4 cylinder and safrane as a 5 cylinder

audi a3 1.8t sport
i never see the point of 172 engine conversions you might as well buy a 172

the r5 engine is ok if built/tuned properley and is looked after

i bet he got that volvo engine for peanuts and it virtually dropped straight in. wouldnt take much time to get the wiring sorted. seems a cheap conversation to me although i agree the engine is old technology and whats 130bhp these days
170bhp from a 2.0 is'nt exactly amazing look what honda can do with a 2.0 in the s2000 (240hp) and 250hp from the volvo engine is very easy to get and you say the volvo engine is dated, so, push rods, wet liners and carbs is modern!!!!!!!!!