ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this normal?

306 GTI-6. 172.
Hi all. Have had my 172 for a couple of months now. I love it, great little car, excellent fun down the smaller back roads and smaller tracks and generally quite a nice car to be in.

However. My car really struggles and I mean really struggles above 100mph, up until that speed it performs exactly as it should and is fantastic. Its on par with my GTI-6 up until 100 but then lags behind massively.

You may well respond with when do you ever go above 100, my response to that is, not often but I do occassionally.

Just to give you an idea of how much the speed drops off at above 100 I used to own a 106 GTI and a Saxo VTS when the VTS was standard (engine wise) it was faster as was the 106, now surely this isn't right.

Little bit of information about my clio, its completely standard and has covered 43K and seems to be in good condition overall. Any ideas as to why the massive drop in power above 100?

Cheers all.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
the car should pull well after 100, well better than a gti or vts.

could be a dodge wheel bearing or brakes semi binding??

i'm guessing TBH but look at things on the car that would cause abnormal rolling resistance.

Clio Sport 172 Mk2 Ph2
try a telemitry test. wil tell u wheel alignment camber and toe. toe will massivley effect power the faster u go especially if its to much toe in.

182/ 172 Cup
Id say mine pulls well till 125 then slower till bout 140 i think thats normal?. Your car doesnt sound right? my freinds vts doesnt really come close. surely a dodgy wheel bearing couldnt really cause this? and u would definitly hear it if it was slowing you this much?