ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this normal? I can stick my finger into the manifold?

172 Cup
Hi everyone,

Just getting my car ready for the track on the weekend and just noticed my finger disappeared into a hole behind the right hand side of the engine, into the manifold.

The picture below shows what I mean - is this normal or am I missing something here??

Thanks

7678928876_2e1206719b.jpg

Clio sport 182
Tbh that doesnt look right. Can you feel anything such as the gases coming out??
is the exhaust over loud (blowing)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Judging by the large amount of exhaust paste on the other side of the pipe I would have you have an issue there!

172 Cup
hmm..crap... well... I've only had the car since march. always did have a feeling that the amount of heat coming up from behind the engine seemed a fair bit.. not sure about being 'blowy'. There are certainly no 'startling' sounds.

here is a side picture?

7679072184_cfb274c955.jpg

so what's odd with it then?

172 Cup
Judging by the large amount of exhaust paste on the other side of the pipe I would have you have an issue there!

yea a covered the manifold in it a few months ago. I only run it for track days and when whenever I turn it on after leaving it a long while I get a bit of smoke coming from somewhere behind the engine. So I decided just to plaster it all up cos I couldn't trace the problem (and can't afford a new manifold if it was cracked).

I can't get my head around what's wrong though, the manifold can't be anymore flush cos the bolts are tight but there is still a gap?

I can't run it right now cos everything's packed up for the night. This shall be the obvious thing to do tomorrow after work. - very confused

Clio sport 182
Looks to not be seated correctly or even no gasket ...
there would be some flames coming out of that bad boy on full chat!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I am by no means an expert but it definitely looks like you have no gasket.

Looking at it from the side in the above picture the place you can get your finger is the contour/shape of the block so no need to worry about that.

Itis hard to tell whether or not there is a gasket fitted though

172 Cup
ok, thanks very much. Hopefully try n get a gasket on before the weekend.

would fitting just be, support the cat with a jack and undo the manifold to engine nuts - wriggle the gasket over the studs and tighten back up?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Looking at it from the side in the above picture the place you can get your finger is the contour/shape of the block so no need to worry about that.

Itis hard to tell whether or not there is a gasket fitted though

Looking at the pic of the gasket it looks as though you would be able to see if it was fitted imo

HBT 172 Cup
Lol it appears someone thought toothpaste would be a good substitue for a gasket. THey can be a bit of a pig to fit in situ aswell. All manifold bolts are easy to get to, but pulling the manifold clear of the studs to slip a new gasket in can be quite awkward!