ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the CTR the Clio's natural enemy?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Anyone else here find themselves scowling at passing Civic Type R's on the road?
I don't know if its a hate i've acquired since owning a Clio Sport or just something built into my subconscious (how very deep for a Sunday eve) but i really do despise the things!

Yes they may be better cars, better built, faster, yadda yadda yadda but if my car was a living thing then i could almost imagine it acting like the bloke with short man syndrome, swaggering up to the CTR in the pub gazing up at its front splitter and offering it outside.....regardless as to whether it would get a shoeing....which i don't think it would i was honest.

Sorry, its been a dull day....:quiet:

I always think 'fair play' when I see one. At the end of it CTR and RS Clio are bought by very similar people just slightly different tastes.

172cup
I m a civic fan but clio's have more personality! Plus civic drivers are always posers with 50 quid hair cuts!

Might get one next year,though!

172cup
Aye!! Probably couldn't afford oil and service costs for a ctr.
Never seen one driven hard yet. Well apart from when I took an 05 plate ctr for a test drive and they wheel spin like nobody's business.

Near identical performance just delivered in a totally different way. People always seem to forget that the civic isnt in the same class (in terms of size) nor the same price. Both good cars but personally for me the clio is better.

I prefer the looks and kudos the ctr has, I would have bought one . but I could get a newer 182 for less money, 182 is more involving to drive though. the 182 is a girly car though, but i could put up with this because iam sure of my sexual orientation dont have a gay 50 hair cut £200 ripped jeans and read nuts/fhm/gq to tell me how to act to be like a man .

^^^ how gay! my GF is a hairdresser, i still do my own - with clippers. Sell your cup to a propper man!

106 GTi
The Clios natural ememy is more like the 206 GTi and Bini, the CTR should be the Meggys rivial, its just the Clio can punch above it's weight and annoy Civics

Anyone else here find themselves scowling at passing Civic Type R's on the road?
I don't know if its a hate i've acquired since owning a Clio Sport or just something built into my subconscious (how very deep for a Sunday eve) but i really do despise the things!

Yes they may be better cars, better built, faster, yadda yadda yadda but if my car was a living thing then i could almost imagine it acting like the bloke with short man syndrome, swaggering up to the CTR in the pub gazing up at its front splitter and offering it outside.....regardless as to whether it would get a shoeing....which i don't think it would i was honest.

Sorry, its been a dull day....:quiet:

Why on earth does it have to be a 'natural enemy'? :s When I had my 172's (all 3 of them!) I used to like seeing CTRs as I always thought they looked quite cool. Standard vs Standard, they are both pretty similar from a performance point of view. I've now got rid of my final 172 and have....a CTR (my 2nd CTR in fact!). I certainly don't drive around scowling at 172/182's. I'll always have a healthy respect for them as I know what they are capable of, but on the other hand the CTR is the best car I've had all round and I wouldn't swap back to a Clio again. Additionally, despite the CTR already having the best part of 200bhp as standard, another 30bhp comes easily and relatively cheaply with induction, exhaust manifold and Hondata ECU, whereas to get the 172 to 230bhp would be a costly exercise indeed (well, it was when I had mine anyway). However...the Clio will always weigh less than my lardy arsed CTR, so a tweaked 172 will still be as fast.

So, no need for all this 'enemy' crap - just enjoy your Clio Sport and if you like the CTR so much, just go buy one as your next car - you won't be disappointed ;)

Rhys

Ad

MK2 FRS
I think the reason they are so competitive between owners is because they are so close, both owners will have considered buying the other prior to making the choice and feel defensive...

As rhys says, there are those of us who have had both, and know the score... lol.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
I m a civic fan but clio's have more personality! Plus civic drivers are always posers with 50 quid hair cuts!

Might get one next year,though!

my hair cost nearly 50 quid lol

didnt u also have 3 ps3's lol,
I prefer clio's tbh not sure y maybe cos i am here all the time so see mint clios also all CTR's look the same, u only need to look on here to see how the clio can b done in sooo many ways.

BMW E46 330i Touring
As said, the CTR 'natural' enemy would be the Meggy...

Doesn't bother me, and I see enough CTR's on the road every day to know if it was going to... ;)

LY 200
At the end of the day the most of us have had the choice between the 2 so the jealousy things not strictly true.

I testdrove 2 similar 04 plate cars, one being a Civic, the other being a Clio blah blah blah..........I chose a Clio because thats what i prefered, another person wouldve prefered the other!!!

Enemies might not be the word but i see what your saying.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Ive had my civic type R about 3 weeks now after selling the clio cup and here is my point of view:

When you get in the type R you are firstly amazed at the different interior setup it is from the clio sport, it all feels a little futuristic for a car that has been designed a few years ago. The engine is so quiet and to be fair with its 6 gears you do need to work them on the motorway to make the thing move, overtaking you do need to drop it down to get any kind of punch.

The vtec, the vtec is not a hyper space serge as people seem to think, its just a subtle change of cam, does not throw your head back, either way, it does increase speed a little.

Driving and handling, some people say the steering feels weird, well you cant feel the road as much with the type r as you can with the clio, but i have taken it on some twisties and i feel so confident with it that i can over come this not feeling the road with alot of confidence in the car (if that makes sense).

The drive in the clio cup was very bumpy compared to the civic and you have to remember that in the civic you have semi buckets as standard with NOT very much padding in the lower seats so the suspension must be really good, you get alot of lower padding in the clio and to be fair you still feel every pot hole.

Respect:
on the motorway in the clio i used to nock along at 80-90 and always come up to somemone who just wanted to be a 3rd lane 75mph cruiser and they would NOT move for you as everyne thinks its a clio (standard etc) with the type R they get out of the way, even Keeveny in his kitted corsa.

Overall if its fun your after id say the clio is the better car because it is like a go cart compared to the type R, you can throw the clio around and feel every bit of road. With the type R you can still throw it round but the enjoyment you get is not the same, however it does the job! they can be move when they need to.

My honest opinion is that the two cars are essentially the same, yet totally different in certain ways and its upto the buyer to decide.

After owning my type R i would stick with this than get another clio.

just my point of view

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Also the type R is alot bigger car than the clio, when i was reversing it out of the place were i bought it from i was like shiiiiit, this thing is big lol

106 GTi
My honest opinion is that the two cars are essentially the same, yet totally different in certain ways and its upto the buyer to decide.

I dont see them as essentially the same at all TBH.

Also the type R is alot bigger car than the clio, when i was reversing it out of the place were i bought it from i was like shiiiiit, this thing is big lol

The Clio is a small hatch the Civic a medium sized hatch - hence the cars from different classes. They are both very different cars to drive as you post points out.

LOL @ the Jealousy comments.

Clio 172 mk2
I really like the CTR...always have since it first appeared over here.

My 'problem' if you like is the fact that I see so many of them on an everyday basis.

Aye, but it's usually the hairdresser Clio-owning driver's who are cutting the Civic driver's hair lol ;). Bloody steroetypes eh, I get mine cut at home by the wife - and it shows :eek:

I agree with most of Kinsella's points apart from saying they're essentially the same - from my limited experience so far. Similar character yes, but in a bigger package overall. I wouldn't say it's much quicker (if it's quicker at all - so close to not make much difference in everyday driving IMO so far).

CTR--VX220D
The way I put it.

I drive my CTR day to day.... its fast when I want it to be, but a great car to pootle around in. It is also very capable on the twisties.

In Std form its whole different car the to Clio - Its in a different league! Your kidding yourself if you think the overall package is better on the clio - its made out of the cheapest materials possible!

I bought my 172 for track days.... when I first had it - I put it up against my 05 CTR and my CTR was undoubtedly faster. Now that I have stripped out and tweeked my Clio it obliterates my CTR - no contest. Although it doesnt really have any interior, or other components!

If I were to buy a car for my only or day to day car the CTR would be there without a question.

It is expensive to own, petrol is much worse than the clio, servicing, oil, tyres, etc.... but I suppose thats why most have you have chosen the cheaper Clio ;)

My old chap had a CTR when i had my 172 and driving them back to back i really have to disagree tbh. But better is subjective/personal.

French = s**t plastics/materials.
Jap = s**t plastics/materials with twice as many screws in it.

;)

cock mobile.
It is expensive to own, petrol is much worse than the clio, servicing, oil, tyres, etc.... but I suppose thats why most have you have chosen the cheaper Clio ;)

Servicing is cheaper, but yer the rest is more expensive.

They are both very good cars, and despite people saying they aren't in the same class they just are, they are hot hatches, they get lumped together and will constantly be compared because an early CTR is 182 money.

If you had 8-16k to spend on a car and didn't consider the other you'd be a fool, but whichever one you choose I'm sure it works well.

Turbos.
As Rich has pointed out, the Civic is literally a class above, with Golfs and Focuses. As an all round car there is no competition, the Civic is better.

I know what Kinsella is saying about the complete lack of respect people give to the Clio, but then i prefer being understated.