ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my head gasket going after 2 days of ownership?:(

So I bought my first car the other day 1.2 clio, and I did so many checks but looks like I missed one out, and yes a very basic one! I'm angry at myself for not checking it properly so please no negativity, help is all I'm asking for.

I took my oil cap off and there is white gunk on the underside of it? Is my head gasket going? What else can I look for? And how much to fix it if it is gone?

Thanks in advance.

Clio 197
Have you been doing short journeys ? That can be an explanation - if so take it for a motorway run and then check it again.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've read on here numerous times it happens a lot on the 1.2s, because the oil filler tube is long or something. Wouldn't worry unless it's showing any other signs

FF RB 182
Common on alot of cars.

Check for oil in the water expansion bottle. Or the car using water. And keep an eye on the temp guage.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Very normal for the oil filler cap to be mayonnaisey. Head gaskets rarely fail on Clios.

Thanks for all the info guys, it's a 45K car, so was hoping it wouldn't be the gasket. I've only had the car 2 days and it hasn't been driven in those as I'm not old enough yet. The owner before me said he only did short journeys. But it was 30 miles on the motorway on the way back, should it of just gone or do I need to clean it first?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Hello, I work for Renault, I can tell you that the mayo around the filler neck and cap is 100% normal. No need to worry.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Your clio will be on a 18,000 mile or 2 year interval, whichever comes first. (Assuming its a pre 2006 model)