ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my car now devalued?

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Guys after only 6 weeks of ownership, and a month of extreme bad luck, my luck has got worse and my 'mint' and totally original 182, with full Renault service history, has now got a broken drivers side headlamp, wing and scuffed bumper, due to be having a bump from hitting the corner of the bumper of a range rover while pulling away. The accident was very low speed, but i think down to pressure/torque it has managed to shatter the headlamp and wing (surprisingly plastic) and scuff my bumper. It is having to go through insurance and they are insistent it is repaired with them as part of the claim. My worry is will this mean it is cat D, as I will need new light, bumper and wing. I am really cheesed off as I have been very unlucky since owning this car, and this was the last thing I needed, and it is purely cosmetic, however I am told it is around £900 of damage to my car, as they will only replace with brand new Renault parts.

Pros are: Will have new painted bumper, now with now stone chips, likewise with the wing.

Conclusion: Worried now this is going to seriously affect my resale, even though if I was to have fixed it myself, no one would have known!

Your help: Should I just fix it myself, because if I do that I will probably only pay about £500 at the most to do it, and It wont be registered as a Cat D, however if the insurance fixes it will it be a CAT D anyway??

Cheers
George

Mini Cooper S
It won't be registered anything. No one apart from you will know about the replaced panels.

If they are fixing it under insurance it wont be a Cat D, so nobody is to know any different once its repaired

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Thank fook for that!! Cheers guys coz its not the money, its not the fact that I have no NCB now, its the fact that my long searched Clio, which is totally original, (even had the camera which came with it), is now a bit bruised, but once fixed she will be mint again. TBH I really don't plan on selling it anyway, but I really was upset that I was going to have CAT D recorded against it, as I have never had a accident before and have No idea how that sort of stuff is worked out. I will get some before and after pics posted soon.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Drivers side wing = 50 quid
2 x xenons = 200

I have both, pm me if u want to save urself a fortune :)

Thanks for the offer, but my insurance company is insistent I get it fixed through them. So now that I know it wont be CAT D or anything stupid like that I will just get there garage to do it, should only take them a couple of hours to fit the new parts.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Its a massive upset though, cos Its £300 excess, but for that I get a completely fresh looking car with lush new Arctic paint, and NO stone chips :star:

TBH the outcome hasn't been too bad, It could have been a lot worse, Still in shock as to how I managed to do this in the first place!! I have bumped cars in the past but unlike this clio, the panels are a bit stronger and just left paint scuffs!

The wing literally exploded :eek:

330i. E30 Touring.
You're not obligated to get it repaired if you wanted to do it yourself. Just make them aware you're going to fix it yourself, and don't want to pay the excess, etc.

Also, you can choose any garage you like to have the work done- don't let them push you to have it done any old place.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Thanks for the offer, but my insurance company is insistent I get it fixed through them. So now that I know it wont be CAT D or anything stupid like that I will just get there garage to do it, should only take them a couple of hours to fit the new parts.

So ure going to pay 300 and lose whatever no-claims u have, to get 400 of work done?

Thats make sense lol.

Just cancel the claim and sort it yourself!!!

Arctic Blue 182 FF

Cheers for that, What a Idiot I am, my car is not even a CAT D :eek:

Cheers Guys, I feel much better now, I am going to give it some thought today about doing it myself, as It will be fun...right?

Anyway, I do like the idea of getting new parts however, coz that will mean new paint and no stone chips anymore - all for 300 quid. I really do think that is a bargain, and they also told me its warrented for 5 years!!

Might just get them to tighten my handbrake for me while there at it as well :)

Arctic Blue 182 FF
So ure going to pay 300 and lose whatever no-claims u have, to get 400 of work done?

Thats make sense lol.

Just cancel the claim and sort it yourself!!!

I can't!! this is my point, it has been said it was my fault, as I have gone into the back despite the fact that he was pulling out, and then slammed his breaks on, and I had merely just not realized he hadn't gone and started to pull off and clipped the rear corner of him. I can't be asked to argue it in court. Truth is I should have been in my company car that day, lessons will be learnt....

So in answer, I will be loosing my NCB no matter if I fix it myself or not, hence why I feel I should let them fix it.

I can't!! this is my point, it has been said it was my fault, as I have gone into the back despite the fact that he was pulling out, and then slammed his breaks on, and I had merely just not realized he hadn't gone and started to pull off and clipped the rear corner of him. I can't be asked to argue it in court. Truth is I should have been in my company car that day, lessons will be learnt....

So in answer, I will be loosing my NCB no matter if I fix it myself or not, hence why I feel I should let them fix it.

You will lose your no claims but you can fix your car yourself. Just tell them you've fixed it already. That way you wont be liable to pay the excess as no repairs are being done to your car.

330i. E30 Touring.
If you hit someone up the arse, it's your fault. No questions.

Doesn't matter how hard he slammed his brakes on, you should have left enough gap to react..

If your going to loose your NCB either way then i think your doing the right thing by going through insurance

Its doubtful you can get the work done for less than your £300 xs (to the same standard)

Clio 182 arctic
you did that by just pulling out from a standstill into a stopped car. them range rovers are like tanks.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
you did that by just pulling out from a standstill into a stopped car. them range rovers are like tanks.

Yer, I just totally couldn't believe it, still can't really! Just totally gutted! Just can't believe I managed to do not see it still there, I had already turned my head to focus on driving to my left though, and Had he not been in my lane I would not have hit him.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
You are paying the XS for the claim on the Range Rover anyway, so you may as well get your car repaired.

You can as said earlier, nominate any garage of your choice to repair your car.
My brothers mrs has a Mazda 2 Sport and he nominated Chartwells at Derby.
They had a Gallardo, Ferrari 458 Italia [Yellow!!] and a Bentley in the workshop when he went in. Sweet.
Needless to say the repair was immaculate quality. ;)

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Nobody bar him, and the community of cs that can find this post if he comes to sell it.

Not too bothered about that, just a bit of cracked plastic anyway in my profile I have all the pics, so will do a little project page soon, when I get my lush new painted bumper and wing.