ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it illegal....

Golf GTD Mk7
..... to drive on the road with no headlights during daylight hours. ie. like chris and burp have done where they're painted over. Or would it have to be trailered?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Im not 100% certain, as i see bikes all the time riding around during the day with a solid front fairing (no headlight at all)

however you would not only not have the headlight,

but you would not have a front indicator either, and there is a dirty great hole in the front of the car! so id say it is illegal,

but if its only a short journey, you'll probs get away with it.

Golf GTD Mk7
don't fancy getting pulled for it as it's only going to be for track days. I could just fit them when I get to track, but it's a pain removing the bumper. Stupid renault design.

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Yeah bit of a pain really, basically if you need them for the MOT then your gonna need them for the road ( I would imagine lol) . Night or Day :(

Golf GTD Mk7
i've read a few things on the net about only requiring brake lights during the day? It's only in the event of a sudden change in weather you might be screwed.

E46 M3
you can get a daylight only mot where you dont need headlights, ive seen a formula car converted, that just had indicators. you'll get given a V32 that says its for daytime use only.

330i. E30 Touring.
Buy some cheapo 1.2 headlights. Remove the insides. Remove anything which means you need the bumper off to remove them. Use the top two fixings only and remove when you get to the track.. It appears like you've got them to anyone else, but they're easily removed at track. Done.

When I say remove, I mean hacksaw off.

Golf GTD Mk7
I've got some cheap ones. Just didn't know if they would slot in/out with the bumper on. It would mean my xenons would only be held on by 1 bolt though :S Sounds like an easier / less risky option. Bonnet should hold things in place anyway.lol

Last edited:
  PH1 172
I've got some cheap ones. Just didn't know if they would slot in/out with the bumper on. It would mean my xenons would only be held on by 1 bolt though :S Sounds like an easier / less risky option. Bonnet should hold things in place anyway.lol

I am sure you could come up with something that sits under the bonnet to hold the lights in place......e.g a flat plate that uses the 1 bolt hole you have and then drill a couple more in the plate and bolt directly into the headlight so it's a bit more sturdier....still only 1 bolt to undo....if that makes sense and no I am not doing a paint sketch lol

Golf GTD Mk7
I am sure you could come up with something that sits under the bonnet to hold the lights in place......e.g a flat plate that uses the 1 bolt hole you have and then drill a couple more in the plate and bolt directly into the headlight so it's a bit more sturdier....still only 1 bolt to undo....if that makes sense and no I am not doing a paint sketch lol

Awwww pweeeeeezzzzz ;)

Good shout, or cable ties at the ready :approve:

182cup & 172 racecar
We just cut everything away and only left the fixing points,I'm sure its in the build thread somwehere.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Bish

IMG_3466.jpg

Bash

IMG_3470-1.jpg

Bosh

IMG_4010.jpg

But yes i would have thought they are illegal to drive the car looking like mine do.

My bumper comes off in 2 seconds so it only takes me 2 mins to swap my xeons for my blanks

Golf GTD Mk7
Bish

IMG_3466.jpg

Bash

IMG_3470-1.jpg

Bosh

IMG_4010.jpg

But yes i would have thought they are illegal to drive the car looking like mine do.

My bumper comes off in 2 seconds so it only takes me 2 mins to swap my xeons for my blanks

What have you done to the bumper for easy release Chris?

Lionel Richie
my mate's KTM bike is road legal and has no lights at all (it left the facotry like that!) just a number plate

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
You can get a day time only mot, I have one on my gsxr 1000 as it has no lights, indicators or mirrors :)

44566_424274829676_533794676_5149030_256881_n.jpg

Golf GTD Mk7
You can get a day time only mot, I have one on my gsxr 1000 as it has no lights, indicators or mirrors :)

44566_424274829676_533794676_5149030_256881_n.jpg

Very nice :approve:

I wonder if there is a different ruling for bikes on this though. Not that there should be, but you never know.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Glad you like it mate, heres one of it being used correctly with a bit of knee and toe down action. I was really starting to get to grips with it towards the end of the day and was moving my body off a bit more, managed to get my elbow a couple of inches off the floor but just couldn't quite muster up the courage to push it any further to get my elbow down :(

45543_424269404676_533794676_5148637_153423_n.jpg

Golf GTD Mk7
Glad you like it mate, heres one of it being used correctly with a bit of knee and toe down action. I was really starting to get to grips with it towards the end of the day and was moving my body off a bit more, managed to get my elbow a couple of inches off the floor but just couldn't quite muster up the courage to push it any further to get my elbow down :(

45543_424269404676_533794676_5148637_153423_n.jpg

Good effort mate :approve:

Golf GTD Mk7
hacked them to bits this weekend. It's amazing how accurate you can be with an angle grinder :D It removed the two lower fixings from the xenons, replaced the bumper and you can just manouver them out. You just need to remove the two plastic "screw things" that hold the black plastic bit of the bumper to the car. I suppose I could put the bolts back in from the rear, but the feel stable enough with just the one bolt. Just need to get the hacked ones sprayed now. Might go down the powder coating route. Just depends on temps etc.

When I crashed my 182, the next morning I drove it 4 miles home with no front bumper, no headlights, wing missing and arch liner missing. Got pulled in by the cops and they were furious, until I told them what I was doing.

Claiming ignorance FTW :D

Da

Less
Why fit blanks?

Is it purely for weight saving or is to protect the xenons from damage?

Excuse my ignorance :eek:

Clio rs 200
Yep unless your car is registered as a track car. Think the law is if there are lights on the car they all need to be in working order. Tbh if your only driving during the day your not going to get pulled over just to check your lights.

Golf GTD Mk7
Why fit blanks?

Is it purely for weight saving or is to protect the xenons from damage?

Excuse my ignorance :eek:

Weight saving wise Daz it only saves around 2kg between them. Not much, but it's as far forward as you can get, so less weight there the better. Main reason was so I can put a vent in the front OS light and stick the CAF there for the airbox. Might run rents in both to help engine cooling. Plus like you say, save the xenons :D

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Daylight Mot = Perfectly legal.

As said before you'd need to make up indicators.