ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 7

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just paid up front to Apple, always hold there value a little better unlocked.

Start of oct delivery :coldsweat:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If you buy directly from Apple you get the perks of them not telling you "You need to go through whoever sold it to you for that"

I'm expecting to be able to walk into an Apple store next Sunday and just buy one. Can't imagine there's going to be a shortage of £819 phones in store.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I initially wanted a 256GB Plus model in Black (not the Jet version). They were sold out very quickly and now delivery alone is mid-October. As I'm using the very popular Apple Payment Programme, that date could be set back even further. So I've literally just now pre-ordered a 256GB 7 in the same black for collection and payment in the Apple store at Metrocentre next Friday. I will first ask if there are any uncollected Plus models available, and if not, I'll probably decide to go ahead and purchase the non-Plus using the APP scheme.

I also ordered a Rose Gold 128GB 7 for the missus outright. That arrives here next Friday.

So at least one of us will have a phone, if not both by the end of the 16th.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
With the Apple Payment Programme, you can upgrade after just 11 months, so you've basically paid £600 of a £919 phone (the 256GB iPhone 7 Plus for an example) and you'll get a new upgrade. Only if you don't take the upgrade do you pay the remaining 9 months to make up the 20 months, at which point the phone is yours to do what you like with it anyway.

Ok, once you upgrade the 20 month cycle starts again, but if after 11 months you upgrade again, you're once more only paying 11 months of payments on a phone worth a lot more than that.

It looks good on paper and it is to a degree, but Apple aren't stupid and they know they're tieing you down for longer and getting more money out of you. If you're happy to stay with Apple and their phones, then both you and them are winners.

Ultimately, irrespective of how many upgrades you make, you will pay at least 20 months of payments. That is guaranteed. But it may well be halfway through the upgrade process and you've got a new phone.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I initially wanted a 256GB Plus model in Black (not the Jet version). They were sold out very quickly and now delivery alone is mid-October. As I'm using the very popular Apple Payment Programme, that date could be set back even further. So I've literally just now pre-ordered a 256GB 7 in the same black for collection and payment in the Apple store at Metrocentre next Friday. I will first ask if there are any uncollected Plus models available, and if not, I'll probably decide to go ahead and purchase the non-Plus using the APP scheme.

I also ordered a Rose Gold 128GB 7 for the missus outright. That arrives here next Friday.

So at least one of us will have a phone, if not both by the end of the 16th.
You can always return within 14 days so you could keep an eye out on the stocks in store for the one you want and just swap it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
With the Apple Payment Programme, you can upgrade after just 11 months, so you've basically paid £600 of a £919 phone (the 256GB iPhone 7 Plus for an example) and you'll get a new upgrade. Only if you don't take the upgrade do you pay the remaining 9 months to make up the 20 months, at which point the phone is yours to do what you like with it anyway.

Ok, once you upgrade the 20 month cycle starts again, but if after 11 months you upgrade again, you're once more only paying 11 months of payments on a phone worth a lot more than that.

It looks good on paper and it is to a degree, but Apple aren't stupid and they know they're tieing you down for longer and getting more money out of you. If you're happy to stay with Apple and their phones, then both you and them are winners.

Ultimately, irrespective of how many upgrades you make, you will pay at least 20 months of payments. That is guaranteed. But it may well be halfway through the upgrade process and you've got a new phone.
Genuine question, how do you upgrade in 11 months if the next iPhone gets released in 12 months?

Ordered my matt black 7+ this morning, due on the 23rd. Bit worried it's too big but a 6s in a case passed the 'fit into the phone pocket of my work trousers' test so I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly :tongueout:

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I thought most phones come unlocked now? I know all phones on Three have for a few years.

Not 100% but my 5s was when with ee but that was a while ago.

You wait another month I guess. It's only a minimum of 11 payments. Add that to your original deposit (£49 for the 256GB Plus) and that's 12 payments I guess?

So do you give the phone back after 11 months?

I've always bought the phone outright then resold it for 60-70%ish so it's only a few hundred upgrade but that sounds cheaper.

Last edited:
  Honda. Tesla Someday
So a few friends of mine messaged me today asking wtf all this news is about not being able to charge your iPhone whilst using the lightning earpods!
Turns out there are a couple of solutions! So in proper DeeKay86 fashion, I made a video explaining it all lol!

I hope this helps anyone who may need to know how to get around the stupid single lightning port issue!

Enjoy!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Jesus christ.

So after watching that, and after you dismissed your own solutions, i'm not really any closer to solving the 'issue'.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I still remember Jobs doing the first iPhone keynote, and the derision that the first iPhone met. Who'd have thought they'd have sold a billion of 'em......

Yeah, just ask Nokia, blackberry, Motorola and Sony Ericsson their thoughts on that.

They all laughed at apple when that said that they wanted to gain 1% of the global phone market.....

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Go back a few years and this was the exact same type of response from 4/4S users when defending screen size.

Why would you want it or need it? Nope, I don't need that, don't get the love for it. Wait, the next iPhone has it? It's f***ing essential, well done Apple!!!

But I just don't understand the point of it? Regardless of who does it.

Now we are keeping phones for longer, keeping a battery healthy is more important than before. With wireless charging, every time you want to use the phone you're taking it off charge. I only need to look at my other half's phone to see what that does to a battery, she charges it for 20 seconds so it comes back on, but then wants to be in another room, and just mullers her battery.

Wireless charging is a great feature, can't understand why Apple havn't gone for it??
Car manufacturers are getting on the bandwagon now, providing a charging pad built into the little phone pocket.

skoda-wireless-phone-charging-2.jpg

I use my charging pad at work, it means if you're moving around a fair bit you can just slap the phone down on the pad when you're at your desk and grab it and leave when you go.
No messing around finding the wire everytime you sit down at your desk.

The car example actually isn't bad, but at work? I charge my phone once a day, over night, always have done. Why would I need to put my phone on charge every time I sit down?

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Wireless charging is a great feature, can't understand why Apple havn't gone for it??
Car manufacturers are getting on the bandwagon now, providing a charging pad built into the little phone pocket.

skoda-wireless-phone-charging-2.jpg

I use my charging pad at work, it means if you're moving around a fair bit you can just slap the phone down on the pad when you're at your desk and grab it and leave when you go.
No messing around finding the wire everytime you sit down at your desk.

I had the option of wireless charging in my upcoming car. It would've been pointless for me even if Apple had implemented wireless charging, due to the fact that Apple CarPlay needs a lightning cable, as Brown Bear stated. Plus, plugging a cable in really isn't that much effort...

Clio with a body kit
Iv ordered a black 128gb from Apple. I made the error of only getting a 16gb last time and this couldn't come soon enough.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Wireless charging will always be an utter f**king waste of time for me. It's a great idea but a cable is fine.

Clio 182 - RB
Got a jet black 7 plus, 20gb, unlimited mins and text, also Spotify Premium for £63 a month, but i get 20% off through work so its £50.40p. Vodafone btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 182 - RB
I pay £46.60p now, for a 5s.. Exactly the same bundle but i only get 10gb internet.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Cases ruin the look of nice phones. Why spend £800 on a phone to put it in a cheap rubber case that won't even stop it breaking if you drop it from a big height.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Mine has worked fine, dropped a couple of times, perfect condition still. Slight lip on the case so the screen is safe, unless I drop it on an uneven surface.

320d M Sport
Same. £3 eBay job. Dropped it loads and its been fine. The Front Is slightly higher so the screen is still mint too. I'd be wounded without a case, it's a necessary evil!

Oh, that was a PeaPod case. Great feel to it too.

Last edited:
Got a jet black 7 plus, 20gb, unlimited mins and text, also Spotify Premium for £63 a month, but i get 20% off through work so its £50.40p. Vodafone btw.

I'd pay +40% to never have to go with Vodafone again. I get 20% off but sack that, useless. (was with voda for 8 years issue after issue, fraud followed by more fraud). 3 ftw

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I dropped my iPhone quite a few times, sometimes on the pavement. Most it got was a small scuff on the metal which you wouldn't notice without inspecting it. Phones are tougher than case manufacturers would have you believe.

DB.

BMW 440i
Apple leather case. Tend to do me 12 months before looking a bit worse for wear.

Spectacularly stacked it whilst running recently and the case saved the phone although it ended up looking a state. Thankfully I still have my old one as the back up!

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Cases ruin the look of nice phones. Why spend £800 on a phone to put it in a cheap rubber case that won't even stop it breaking if you drop it from a big height.
I don't spend £800 on a phone to show it off or just because of its looks.
Within 5 seconds of opening the box, it goes straight into a case and stays there until I sell it.
It's not big heights I worry about, it's falling out of my pocket and sliding around etc that bothers me.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Within 5 seconds of opening the box, it goes straight into a case and stays there until I sell it.
It's not big heights I worry about, it's falling out of my pocket and sliding around etc that bothers me.
I'm exactly the same! As soon as my HTC 10 arrived I had a case waiting... I can't reccomend any case from 'Spigen' enough.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Like I said before, they're tougher than you'd think.

I was curious the other day, I've never used a case for my phones (I do have an Apple Leather case for an iPhone 5 but I used it for a few weeks before deciding it ruined the feel of it). But a friend was trying to convince me I'd damage my Samsung if I didn't get a case.

I got my work iPhone out and went at it (in the corner) with a Stanley screwdriver, then some keys, and a kitchen knife.

Not one of them left a mark. I get that it's physics, but it was still really weird to see it with my own eyes. And phones have only gotten stronger since the iPhone 5.

Each to their own and all, but if you're going to break it, you'll break it with or without a case.