ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 7

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Why would you want wireless charging?

I was thinking about this at length the other day. The only thing wireless charging does for a phone is make the charging process worse:

So you're in bed, put your phone on it's charging pad, a text arrives. You pick up the phone, it stops charging? Surely with a cable, at least whilst it's charging you can still use the f**king thing?

Go back a few years and this was the exact same type of response from 4/4S users when defending screen size.

Why would you want it or need it? Nope, I don't need that, don't get the love for it. Wait, the next iPhone has it? It's f***ing essential, well done Apple!!!

I guess it's so they can get rid of the home button.

Why does it still have a home button? In a time when they're trying to simplify and streamline everything it still has a mechanical button on the front. That I don't get myself.

Pre-ordered a 128gb black 7 to collect from Manchester next Friday it was the earliest date. Thinking of doing the plan as it includes apple care and no doubt I'll chop it in for the new one next year.

What's an iPhone se 16gb unlocked worth? 3 months old 😂

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Why does it still have a home button? In a time when they're trying to simplify and streamline everything it still has a mechanical button on the front. That I don't get myself.

I suppose because it's a pretty iconic feature of Apple products for the last 10 years, soon as you see it you think Apple.

I don't think it's mechanical on the 7, I'm sure it was mentioned in the keynote.

BMW 330ci
Pre ordered the black 128gb iPhone 7. Paid it off straight away and going back to a sim only deal. Never bothered the upgrade to the 6s plus but I really like this one in black and has a good few new features. Hopefully the camera will be as good as it looks and the battery life will be better. But probably like always it will go rubbish. Delivery is due 4th October just after I get back off my holiday so that's okay with me.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
7 32gb matt black ordered for release day delivery.

Gone on the Apple website now (an hour later) and it is now an extra 2 weeks for delivery.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
All you lot saying you like the iPhone 7, is there any "real" pictures of it anywhere? Not ones that make it all shiny etc.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
how you accidentally ordered 2? both on contract?

I managed to order one as a new line and one as an upgrade. The first I had logged in and clicked the 'upgrade' option but something went wrong on the site so I had to refresh and it wasn't until I got an email telling me I'd ordered a new line that I realised!

Now to decide whether to cancel or not!

DB.

BMW 440i
Am I missing something...seems a no brainer to buy it through the Apple Upgrade Programme by paying monthly with no interest at the same overall price as buying it outright but you also get free apple care worth £120?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Go back a few years and this was the exact same type of response from 4/4S users when defending screen size.

Why would you want it or need it? Nope, I don't need that, don't get the love for it. Wait, the next iPhone has it? It's f***ing essential, well done Apple!!!

You come across upset in here, same with your response to my comment on next years model last night, anything you want to get off your chest mate?

Am I missing something...seems a no brainer to buy it through the Apple Upgrade Programme by paying monthly with no interest at the same overall price as buying it outright but you also get free apple care worth £120?
And not having to deal with idiots on eBay or gumtree after 12 months is another bonus

Ocrlew

ClioSport Club Member
its a 20 month contract so if you dont decided to upgrade every year (which will start the 20 month term again) then its actually more expensive for example its 38.45 a month for 128gb one x 20 = 769 + the 49 quid upfront cost == £818 so basically your paying £2 less for apple care

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

It'll cost slightly more ultimately, but then yes you do get the Apple Care thrown in (at a premium of course). For example, an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB is £919 to buy outright. Using the programme it's £1040 as it includes the Apple Care. So after 20 months that's what you'll pay.

The Programme is good in that after 11 months/payments you are eligible to upgrade to the next model, and your payment plan starts over again. The downside to this is obviously that you need to hand your phone back to them. If you don't wish to upgrade, you see out the full 20 month schedule at which point the phone is yours and you're free to do what you like with it.

Apple Care is good in that it's unlimited repairs, but any screen replacement is £25 excess.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I don't get it personally. Fingerprint means that by the time the phone is out of my pocket, it's already unlocked.

Looking for solutions to a problem that doesn't exist imo. Mobiles have hit a point where real innovation is rare. Now it's a case of wowwow, look at the impressive (albeit totally pointless) s**t we cdo! do

I thought the same, and I'm not saying you'd feel differently if you tried it. Just personally, with the large phones if you hold it one handed- you can't always put a thumb/finger on the home button. So a clumsy wipe of the screen to activate the iris scanner with the phone roughly pointed at your face means it unlocks without having to touch the home button.

That's how it works on the Note7 at least. Sometimes it even unlocks with iris recognition before the fingerprint reader reads your finger. It's very quick. Usually....

BMW M4; S1000 RR
its a 20 month contract so if you dont decided to upgrade every year (which will start the 20 month term again) then its actually more expensive for example its 38.45 a month for 128gb one x 20 = 769 + the 49 quid upfront cost == £818 so basically your paying £2 less for apple care

Which model are you talking about? The 128GB Plus is £819 if you walk into store and buy it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I thought the same, and I'm not saying you'd feel differently if you tried it. Just personally, with the large phones if you hold it one handed- you can't always put a thumb/finger on the home button. So a clumsy wipe of the screen to activate the iris scanner with the phone roughly pointed at your face means it unlocks without having to touch the home button.

That's how it works on the Note7 at least. Sometimes it even unlocks with iris recognition before the fingerprint reader reads your finger. It's very quick. Usually....
Don't Samsung recommend no contacts or spectacles lol? Having a wider area for Fingerprint recognition would be far more useful imo.
This seems an example of using a tech to differentiate themselves from other companies, as opposed to being genuinely useful.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Don't Samsung recommend no contacts or spectacles lol? Having a wider area for Fingerprint recognition would be far more useful imo.
This seems an example of using a tech to differentiate themselves from other companies, as opposed to being genuinely useful.
That is a fair comment, I don't have glasses or contacts so wasn't an issue for me.

+1 on the bigger Home button. It definitely felt less reliable on unlocking by fingerprint than my iPhone 5S, although reivews suggest they should be the same.

The fingerprint setup on iPhone is a much more lengthy process and I think it helps, as the Samsung you only have to scan your finger a few times for it to finish.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
That is a fair comment, I don't have glasses or contacts so wasn't an issue for me.

+1 on the bigger Home button. It definitely felt less reliable on unlocking by fingerprint than my iPhone 5S, although reivews suggest they should be the same.

The fingerprint setup on iPhone is a much more lengthy process and I think it helps, as the Samsung you only have to scan your finger a few times for it to finish.
Is it genuinely iris scanning? How does it cope with pupil size variations throughout the day?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
The finger print scanner on the samsungs are dogshit in comparison to the iPhone ones though. I don't bother using it on my Samsung work phone because it takes sooooo long to open. Not to mention I've heard of it being more of a security risk than apples offering.

As force India said, my iPhone is open and ready by the time it's out of my pocket and I'm looking at it. An iris scanner would take longer surely?

Great if you have no hands... Wait...no. Nevermind

Clio 182 - RB
What deals people getting with Vodafone on the 7 plus? I'm due an upgrade tomorrow so going to ring them when i finish work at 12 [emoji4] Be interested what others have got out of them, i also get 20% off my bill through my work too which is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DB.

BMW 440i
Out of curiosity checked the EE Sim only upgrade deals as had my current 12 month deal 2 years.

Just upgraded from £22.50 for 5GB Data, to £19.99 for 8GB 'Faster 4G' Data.

Not sure it will be any quicker but £2.50 a month less for 3GB more is an improvement.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Why would you want wireless charging?

I was thinking about this at length the other day. The only thing wireless charging does for a phone is make the charging process worse:

So you're in bed, put your phone on it's charging pad, a text arrives. You pick up the phone, it stops charging? Surely with a cable, at least whilst it's charging you can still use the f**king thing?

Wireless charging is a great feature, can't understand why Apple havn't gone for it??
Car manufacturers are getting on the bandwagon now, providing a charging pad built into the little phone pocket.

skoda-wireless-phone-charging-2.jpg

I use my charging pad at work, it means if you're moving around a fair bit you can just slap the phone down on the pad when you're at your desk and grab it and leave when you go.
No messing around finding the wire everytime you sit down at your desk.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Wireless charging is a great feature, can't understand why Apple havn't gone for it??
Car manufacturers are getting on the bandwagon now, providing a charging pad built into the little phone pocket.

skoda-wireless-phone-charging-2.jpg

I use my charging pad at work, it means if you're moving around a fair bit you can just slap the phone down on the pad when you're at your desk and grab it and leave when you go.
No messing around finding the wire everytime you sit down at your desk.
Seems a bit bloody pointless when android auto and car play requires a wired connection!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Seems a bit bloody pointless when android auto and car play requires a wired connection!
They're going toward using Wifi with both platforms, which would definitely make Qi charging a great feature. Not having to plug the phone in, just put it on the pad if you want to charge it, or leave it in your pocket if you're doing a short journey.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Is it genuinely iris scanning? How does it cope with pupil size variations throughout the day?
No idea.

It says Iris scanning so I'd have thought it's iris scanning. It either has an IR LED or an IR filter on the camera as it even works in pitch black.

Maybe the pupil thing explains the reason it sometimes has a moment. I think iPhone's fingerprint reader is a better solution for sure. But my original point was that it works a lot better than I expected it to.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The feature I'm actually really liking on this iPhone is the stereo speakers. If they're half as good as the stereo effect you get on the iPad air then it'll be a great addition.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Stereo speakers rock. The sound on my Nexus 6P is incredible...but then they are forward facing as well which I would think helps quite a bit.
Same with the Sony phones I've had. It's a feature I do miss with the s7.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I'll stick with my SE I think, the seven is nice and all, but honestly phones are just about incremental improvements these days. Unless there's a massive leap forward in battery tech there's a limit to what they can do and still keep a day worth of battery life.

Until my phone starts to show it's age I can't see a compelling reason to upgrade, especially not given how the prices have gone up thanks to the exchange rate.

Not holding my breath for anything huge for the tenth anniversary either, I'm sure they'll try to do something but unless they've got something really well hidden in development I can't see it happening. Would be nice.

I still remember Jobs doing the first iPhone keynote, and the derision that the first iPhone met. Who'd have thought they'd have sold a billion of 'em......

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Just bought mine and the mrs got hers.

Silver iPhone 7 128Gb -
4G Ready
30Gb Data
Unlimited Texts
Unlimited Calls

O2 offer the "Free" upgrade after 12months and they will pay your remanding balance and give you the latest phone (iPhone 7s)

Also going to buy the Series2 watch when its out along with a set of the AirPods