ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone 5.

This is a poll.

• Total voters
I use this website all the time at work for material and finish specifications, if you want to know about anodising I suggest people have a little read:

http://www.matweb.com/reference/anodize.aspx

With some basic research it looks like a 6000 series aluminium will hard anodise to over the hardness of stainless steel, but any sharp internal or external corners will have weaker hardnesses and may chip. Have people only been experiencing these marks on the edges, or does it also chip on the faces?

If it's only soft anodising on the case then I would expect it to scratch and chip. It would be the same as any soft anodised product: keyring, torch casing.

The coating may also have been compromised by the manufacturing process. If the part has to be extremely thin but retain good rigidity then the type of aluminium they have selected to get these properties may not be suitable for anodising.

On a side note, I made my iPhone 3G last for over 3 years, I just took good care of it. Stop dropping your phones people! :rasp:

Never above 25mpg
3 Store has just got aload of stock in by the looks of it! Tempted to order one now but contract doesnt end for a week with Vodafone!

An orange one
I now have about 6 separate 1-2mm scuffs on the bezel of mine...

workhorse FTL!

Always in pocket on its own, never placed on hard surfaces and generally papampered.. Going to look worse after 3 months than my 4 did in 2 years

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well, I'm getting one for work, it's supposed to be black but I'm requesting a white one so I can have a black personal one.

As for scratching, and all the moaning, I'll just be exchanging mine at apple once every three months for generic, intermittent, unprovable issues.

ST
Well, I'm getting one for work, it's supposed to be black but I'm requesting a white one so I can have a black personal one.

As for scratching, and all the moaning, I'll just be exchanging mine at apple once every three months for generic, intermittent, unprovable issues.

<3's the Rob.. It's got a warranty.. Use it.

The misses dropped hers at uni yesterday.. Little bump on the bottoms right hand corner by the speaker.. Shall be booked into Apple.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
People are aware its just a phone? Albeit its not an iPhone but I stuck my HTC in a case and forgot about, been dropped a couple of times but the case saved damage.

LY 182
<3's the Rob.. It's got a warranty.. Use it.

The misses dropped hers at uni yesterday.. Little bump on the bottoms right hand corner by the speaker.. Shall be booked into Apple.

The warranty doesent cover drop damage does it ? Or do you have insurance of some sort ?

ST
The warranty doesent cover drop damage does it ? Or do you have insurance of some sort ?

No it doesn't cover for b**ch fits, diva melt downs or accidental damage but as Arif is demonstrating the phone will 'drop calls' or have a speaker 'problem'.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
LOL!

I went in last week, the guy went "Home button issues eh? Intermittent? You getting rid soon then?"

I was like, eerrr yeah?

He was like "Oh, ok" then proceeded to give me a list of the other things he couldn't check but would change the phone for.

My favorite "reason" is excessive loss of oleophobic coating

I'd love to go in and say "I ordered a black iPhone, this one's now silver" and see if I could have it replaced.

Last edited:
  Clio 182
Mine's scratched after 4 DAYS! Anyone know of any generic device issues I can use to get a replacement?

I literally put it on my desk at work, slid it slightly (idiot I know) and it's scratched, think there was some dust on my desk...

Last edited:
  CBR1000RR Fireblade
Nice one, my old style head phones are battered so I was considering buying some of the new style headphones as replacements.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Has anyone received that cable ordered through eBay for £7.95 yet?

The price is now £69.99 for some reason. Still haven't got mine and it was estimated delivery late September. He ain't replaying to messages either.

The cables won't work due to a chip inside the connector that these fake-creating people didn't know about.

I got a refund a few weeks ago.

They didn't do it automatically. I had to ask them for it.

But so many people have asked that they were having PayPal problems. Just go to your PayPal and push for a refund. Tick whichever options looks the best.

Listerine & Poledo
do the new earphones actually direct noise into the persons ear?

As opposed to using their head as a soundbox, letting everyone around know what they're listening to.

Especially annoying when they're plugged into a chavberry

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
do the new earphones actually direct noise into the persons ear?

As opposed to using their head as a soundbox, letting everyone around know what they're listening to.

Especially annoying when they're plugged into a chavberry

They arent as bad, but sound still leaks.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Mine is fine, but it's getting a bit mental all this now. No one bought the phone to be put on display in a case, unmarked for it's entirety. At least I don't think anyone did.

It's a phone/gadget, what are a few marks here and there going to do to the quality of your phone calls and enjoyment? I doubt it's an expense thing, because the iPhone4 and 3GS before it were just as expensive but cheap tat materials.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Well not me, my 3GS was a f*cking mess.

Saying that, I would and will be annoyed when I mark this one.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
They didn't do it automatically. I had to ask them for it.

But so many people have asked that they were having PayPal problems. Just go to your PayPal and push for a refund. Tick whichever options looks the best.

Just did this through eBay and he's refunded me. Cheers.

ST
I was only asking.. Mine is over two wks old and not a mark yet my misses black 5 is 8 days old and starting to show little white marks around the bezel.

I will have hopefully reserved the 5 to pick up tomorrow from apple

What colour shows through the bezel when it is chipped, bare aluminium ?

If so anyone think it would be possible to polish up if the paint was taken off just the bezel not the back ?

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I was only asking.. Mine is over two wks old and not a mark yet my misses black 5 is 8 days old and starting to show little white marks around the bezel.

Thats because she's a woman and it will just be getting thrown into a handbag full of keys and women s**t. I gave my missis my mint condition 3G a few years ago, a week later it was ruined.

BG 182
I will have hopefully reserved the 5 to pick up tomorrow from apple

What colour shows through the bezel when it is chipped, bare aluminium ?

If so anyone think it would be possible to polish up if the paint was taken off just the bezel not the back ?

Have a google for gizmodo polished iphone 5 I think you will find your answer. Not pretty